Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Is that "Bargain Deal" on Spark Plugs all that you think it is?

Interesting information- Do your "due diligence" and make your own, informed decision.

NOT intended for the purposes of any OEM vs. Auto Parts vs. Sites we don't support here in the forums.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Thanks for posting.

Great video. Thanks for posting!

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

4. Member
    I read an article that up to 40 to 50% of the stuff sold on EBay is counterfeit stuff, mainly Chinese. Looks like this is spreading to Amazon also. If you buy from an Auto Parts store, they order from the manufacturer's warehouse. Odds of getting anything counterfeit is very nill.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Here's another interesting link to consider (from NGK's Japan Site, English Version):

http://www.ngk-sparkplugs.jp/english...ake/index.html

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Interesting to say the least!

7. Member
    Very Interesting. Anyone have experience purchasing outboard engine parts from PartsVu? I just ordered a 100 service kit that contains NGK spark plugs. I wonder what I am going to get ? I looked back at the prices for NGK plugs at PartsVu and noticed they are priced similar to what is described at Amazon in the original posted video.
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 12-31-2019 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Announcements

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    As stated in the first post- this thread isn't intended as an OEM vs. Auto Parts Store vs. Website comparison or price checker. It is strictly and solely for informative purposes (and although we have a strict policy regarding the "bay and zon sites" here, it's tough to show the video information otherwise.

Aside from that, let's keep the non-sponsor stuff to a minimum. Thanks!

9. Member
    Very informative!
    Thanks Don

10. Member
    Caveat emptor, I guess, but outside of box size, I had a real hard time seeing any
    differences between the two - that is what is so scary. You have done us
    a great service by reminding us that "if it sounds too good to be true, ......".

Thanks.
    Do not take your half in the middle ....

11. Member
    Thank you for the info. I is amazing the lengths people will go to save a buck. See it in the automotive industry all the time.
    Semper Fi

12. Member
    Did you happen to verify the one from the Auto parts store with the NGK rep?
    '06 Procraft 205 Pro Mercury 225 Optimax

13. Member
    I watched the attached video and was amazed at the degree of visual quality and amount of detail on the fake plugs. Its crazy how far these copy cats will go .

Quote Originally Posted by reelswift View Post
    I watched the attached video and was amazed at the degree of visual quality and amount of detail on the fake plugs. Its crazy how far these copy cats will go .
    Lots and lots of auto/marine counterfeit parts out there and extremely difficult to tell the difference. Online bargains is the common denominator.

https://www.leupold.com/service-supp...erfeit-warning
    Had to show my brother this when he thought he found a steal on a Leupold scope on wish.com.....idiot
    1995 Viper 201D
    1995 Johnson Venom 200
    Gas mileage is for sissies