Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Why "some" Fantastic Deals on NGK Spark Plugs may not be so "fantastic"

Interesting information- Do your "due diligence" and make your own, informed decision.

NOT intended for the purposes of any OEM vs. Auto Parts vs. Sites we don't support here in the forums.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

2. Member
    Wow. Thanks.

Thanks for posting!!
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

4. Member
    Hard to believe.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

5. Member
    Hmmm....the plugs were purchased from "NGK" on Amazon. My question to NGK would be do you sell your sparkplugs on Amazon?

6. Member
    If Amazon is selling fakes,who's to say that a lot of dealers aren't unwittingly selling fakes? The guy in the vid states that it is very difficult or impossible to visually tell the difference.It looks like the only way to tell is to call NGK...but is it?? NGK may have suppliers that decided to sell direct to eliminate at least one middle man and create more profit for themselves.Obviously,NGK will try to discredit this action,possibly calling these plugs fakes when they may be,in fact,the exact same plug. Who knows? Higher price tag doesn't mean anything.
    Last edited by blackboat; 12-25-2019 at 08:22 AM.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Interesting information- Do your "due diligence" and make your own, informed decision.

NOT intended for the purposes of any OEM vs. Auto Parts vs. Sites we don't support here in the forums.

These spark plugs were made for Eurasian Conformity, which it means that they were made for Eastern Europe environmental standards hence the " EAC" mark. Somehow they found their way into the USA through gray markets. We had this situation happening in the Heavy equipment markets in early 80 and later with machines being made for the Asian market but found their way to USA in gray market. I bought an Hitachi 120 LC-5 excavator, which is the same as the JD 120 LC, and though I could still get parts from JD dealer, since they are the US rep for Hitachi, I had to go thru the BS of hearing about my gray market machine. Later, I traded it into a Case CX130 with near 6K hrs, and they took it with no problem.
    So, whether gray market stuff is good or bad, I worked that machine for many years with little issues other than wear parts and rebuilt bucket/dipper cylinders.

8. Member
    Pause at 5:09 and notice the diff in width of the metal pin. Amazon is wider.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Hmmm....the plugs were purchased from "NGK" on Amazon. My question to NGK would be do you sell your sparkplugs on Amazon?
    Saw that and wondered the same.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    These spark plugs were made for Eurasian Conformity, which it means that they were made for Eastern Europe environmental standards hence the " EAC" mark. Somehow they found their way into the USA through gray markets. We had this situation happening in the Heavy equipment markets in early 80 and later with machines being made for the Asian market but found their way to USA in gray market. I bought an Hitachi 120 LC-5 excavator, which is the same as the JD 120 LC, and though I could still get parts from JD dealer, since they are the US rep for Hitachi, I had to go thru the BS of hearing about my gray market machine. Later, I traded it into a Case CX130 with near 6K hrs, and they took it with no problem.
    So, whether gray market stuff is good or bad, I worked that machine for many years with little issues other than wear parts and rebuilt bucket/dipper cylinders.
    That was my original thought as well, but after doing a little research, that might not be the case. Here's another interesting link to consider (from NGK's Japan Site, English Version):

http://www.ngk-sparkplugs.jp/english...ake/index.html

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Banned
    Thanks for sharing. I always go with too good to be true when seeing low prices. I did check what I had and luckily they were good but it wasn't from Amazon either.

12. Member
    That was my original thought as well, but after doing a little research, that might not be the case. Here's another interesting link to consider (from NGK's Japan Site, English Version):

That video is an eye opener for sure Don, but as long as you don't sell counterfeit, I am in good shape, and I know my Champion QL77CC are real.
    Go where you know that they know their parts and suppliers, so you are not saving a dollar and costing you 1Ks.
    Have a blessed and prosperous New Year.

13. Member

The ones I just recieved from Rock Auto are marked similar to the Knockoff's in the video and the box is marked "EAC"

2023 Phoenix 920 Elite
    2023 Mercury Pro XS 4S

Thanks for posting that, Don! I’ve been seeing sets for over a $100 and then the occasional $70-80 set.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

15. Member
    Wow thanks for sharing i just got a box of NGK plugs ???? just laying loose not packaged for my service truck at work stock replenishment. I questioned them they told me not to worry about it *(our current parts management is quite lacking)* the good old days of quality is slipping to make mega profits.
    2018 BASSCAT COUGAR FTD
    MERCURY 250 PRO XS 2B524980

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beallright View Post
    The ones I just recieved from Rock Auto are marked similar to the Knockoff's in the video and the box is marked "EAC"
    Yea, the ones I just installed, from Rock Auto, had the cardboard sleeve not the plastic one. Now I'm considering purchasing again from an authorized source.
    2017 Ranger Z520C / Mercury 250 ProXS 2S

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wendler View Post
    Yea, the ones I just installed, from Rock Auto, had the cardboard sleeve not the plastic one. Now I'm considering purchasing again from an authorized source.
    So far I have found that there are two marketed NGK plugs ones from Japan, and one made in the US. The plug marking from each manufactured plant are slightly different. For the Japan ones the lot code is on the flats and Made in Japan on the round part, the US appears to have lot code and made in US on the round part with nothing on the flats. The writing is centered on both, the lot code is legible and the sealing washer will not fall off of either. The boxes form the one made in Japan will have "EAC" on the box and the US will have its conformity standards stamped on them.

I as well went back and looked at all the plugs I have changed in the past since 2014. The original plugs were made in Japan. The Quicksilver ones I bought, the box was not marked "EAC" but the plugs were marked as Made in Japan same as originals. The the ones I got from Boats.net ordered under the Mercury part number were boxed "EAC" and made in Japan. The RockAuto's were boxed as "EAC" and made in Japan. The originals, boats.net and rockauto plugs were all identical in design and marking as the boxes marked "EAC"
    I have not had my hands on a made in US plug to compare at this point ( only saw them on You Tube), Still doing more investigation but that is what I know today.
    Last edited by Beallright; 12-28-2019 at 12:16 PM.

2023 Phoenix 920 Elite
    2023 Mercury Pro XS 4S

18. Member
    I too found the cheap deal on Rock Auto IZFR6J for $8.60 each now my motor is in Tenn. getting ready for a rebuild . I had no ideal that rock auto did not buy from NGK . I am not saying that these plugs caused this ,but it's got me thinking . 20190928_134205.jpg

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Cardboard sleeve is not an issue- even the OEM Quicksilver plugs come that way.

I have about a 5 gallon pail of old plugs here... may give my grandson a "rainy day" project going through them.

One other thing I might mention (regardless of the spark plug "source"): On the Iridium plugs (in Optimax Models especially), we do see a higher incidence of porcelain/electrode breakage or failures on plugs that are in the 120+ hr range. For this reason I would stick with the manufacturer's "once per year or every 100 hours, whichever occurs FIRST" interval.

20. Member
    I agree Don on every 100 hours , These plugs in question had maybe 2 hours on it. The porcelain was in small pieces some still in #2 cylinder. I am thinking the particulars are what bent the electrode and have my fingers crossed the crankshaft is not bad , i am sure the mech will still change the rod.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast