Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob G. View Post
    ...a local Merc dealer that sells the same plugs for $30 each!! $180 for spark plugs that are recommended to be replaced annually!
    I know we all have our opinions and practices but I just don't see this as an "OMG" moment. Even at the price you listed, it is not much considering the price of rods, lures, oil, gas, FFs, etc. Heck the fishing line I use (FC Sniper) is the same cost as a spark plug and it gets used up at a MUCH faster rate!!! I get my plugs through Don (and the BBC discount) and the difference is not that much. Also, I know I am getting the correct plug and the guarantee that goes with it. It has been discussed before but if a higher-priced Mercury plugs malfunctions and does damage, Mercury will stand by their product. O'Reilly will just replace the plug. My motor is still under warranty and therefore will only use Mercury parts even if they are made by NGK.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kimclark View Post
    Yes i did called Rockauto and left a message on answering machine , they called back quickly and were rather upset that i said they sold me counterfeit or EAC plugs , he said they do not talk about products over the phone and to go to there website to report my problem under Order Status & Returns . the only problem is my order was 179 days old witch exceeds there 60 day warranty . The page kicks me out because of that . I have tried and look for other ways to contact them with no results .
    Are people getting confused here? In the video, the authentic plugs say "EAC" on them--not the counterfeit. I've seen multiple posts here now that are saying the EAC plugs are conterfeit.... or am I the confused one?
    2015 Nitro Z-7 175 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by potomacbassin View Post
    Are people getting confused here? In the video, the authentic plugs say "EAC" on them--not the counterfeit. I've seen multiple posts here now that are saying the EAC plugs are conterfeit.... or am I the confused one?
    I went and rewatched the video. I thought EAC = counterfeit. You are correct though. I was the one confused. It appears the EAC plugs are the originals.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Guy in video says EAC marked on box are the good ones then digthemup claims EAC are for Eurasian Market so I'm still not sure what one is the counterfeit.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    EAC is an official standards mark for NGK.

A couple other "box" abnormalities I've seen published included:

-Warning Triangle in images on back of the box did not have YELLOW color

-No website address listed

-Different boldness of font for "Made in Japan" (and other language translations).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    I have a shipment coming in today and will report results. I'm already fully prepared to return these and go to autozone.
    Last edited by potomacbassin; 01-29-2020 at 09:45 AM.

7. Member
    The burning question in my mind is this, 1yr parts and labor warranty aside, what, if any, difference is there between a genuine NGK IZFxxx sold by Mercury and any other legitimate seller?

From what I've gathered here over the past several years, and please correct me if I'm wrong, the only difference is the 1yr parts and labor warranty where Mercury represents the consumer to NGK in the event a plug fails and causes other damage. In contrast, a genuine IZFxxx purchased from any other source the burden of proof the plug caused other damage is between the consumer and NGK.

My question isn't about alternative products for our engines (brand x,y,x vs NGK) it's about using THE manufacturer's recommended product purchased from legitimate resellers.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

O’Reilly’s Auto Parts carries NGK for my Mercury, and plugs for my Honda OB too. Only place I buy them any more. Reasonable priced. Even beat Amazon prices on my Honda.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    The burning question in my mind is this, 1yr parts and labor warranty aside, what, if any, difference is there between a genuine NGK IZFxxx sold by Mercury and any other legitimate seller?

From what I've gathered here over the past several years, and please correct me if I'm wrong, the only difference is the 1yr parts and labor warranty where Mercury represents the consumer to NGK in the event a plug fails and causes other damage. In contrast, a genuine IZFxxx purchased from any other source the burden of proof the plug caused other damage is between the consumer and NGK.
    Essentially correct. As long as both products are GENUINE, the two primary differences are packaging and warranty.

Even comparing GENUINE products side-by-side there are only subtle color differences (that can occur in most any product from one batch to another).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    Not trying to persuade anyone one way or the other, but here are some pics of the plugs that I received. Every thing seems to pass the 'sniff test.' Letters centered, 4 digit code, secure gasket, width of arm, arc of arm, yellow triangles on box, website, and EAC. Makes me feel better that these weren't $4 plugs as shown in the video as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by potomacbassin; 01-31-2020 at 12:28 PM.

Thanks for all the info..

I bought some plugs last year on amazon before finding/reading this info..saved over $40

This year i removed the plugs after 1 time out ..plugs dont look very good so im looking to replace

Im going to try the autoparts store close by..but im wondering, on amazon there is "Quicksilver" plugs for $20.49 each.. Are these ok?

How do we know what the hell we are buying? Ordering thru the "A" only because its easy and shipping with "you know", is in afew days

Thanks for any help
    Basscat P4

12. Member
    Quicksilver IS Mercury. Only difference is labeling/packaging for sale in 3rd party outlets.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

13. Member
    don, can you tell the difference in plugs by looking at them,if you was handed 2 plugs one from say rockauto and one from mercury out of the box plugs, i am sure mercury has a vender that makes them, thanks for a reply

Quote Originally Posted by buster502 View Post
    don, can you tell the difference in plugs by looking at them,if you was handed 2 plugs one from say rockauto and one from mercury out of the box plugs, i am sure mercury has a vender that makes them, thanks for a reply
    Thank you, as this is exactly what im asking!

EuropeanAM
    Last edited by MRichard2016; 03-20-2020 at 07:11 AM.
    Basscat P4

15. Member
    Assuming both plugs are genuine NGK there is no way to "ID" one vs the other out of the box as Mercury's "vendor" is NGK. See #47 above.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by buster502 View Post
    Good question.

Here's a couple of comparison pictures (comparing an 843220Q Mercury/Quicksilver plug and a REAL (EAC Label) NGK-IZFR6J (obtained from a local supplier)). Sorry- I had to go and get the later plug to show a comparison.

There are some subtle differences in print color and metal colors, other than that they are essentially identical.

IMG_6395.jpg

IMG_6394.jpg

IMG_6392.jpg

17. Member
    thanks so the bottom is,know who you get them from and stay away from cut rate parts places,thanks for the reply don

18. Member
    Purchased these from dealer in Florida. Hopefully legit. I emailed guy to make sure as save 5 bucks going with them rather than advance auto. Actually installed the plugs today, but have not started the outboard yet.

Plugs1.PNG
    2014 Bullet 21xrs
    2016 Merc Opti 300hp Serial #1E053115

19. Member
    I have always gotten my plugs on Amazon and have never had a problem but I also change my plugs every year except this year ,money has been tight and I only used the boat for about a month and a half on the weekends last year.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Hmmm....the plugs were purchased from "NGK" on Amazon. My question to NGK would be do you sell your sparkplugs on Amazon?
    It was sold by "Incredible Spark(plugs ... ???)" you can see it over on the right of the page. They're saying, on Incredible Sparkplugs' Amazon page, that they are made by NGK. The order was fulfilled by Amazon, not sold by Amazon (basically Amazon warehouses them for a fee).

I'm still wondering if they are "gray market," as others have said.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast