Thread: Repower advice

Repower advice

So recently I purchased a 02 nitro 700LX DC. It was kept outside for the better part of 10yrs under a tent, so it was in rough shape. So let’s just say I tore this boat apart and have redone these things
    1) new deck in console area after hacking off the consoles where they reach the floor (created weak spots & I could telll it’s been fixed several times) and also dates the boat
    2) new visors & gauges/recessed cleats/retractable rod straps/compression hatch handles/struts
    3) had 2 custom made hatches made for between the consoles, 1 holds 6 3700 planos, 1 is a cooler trashcan receptical like newer models & gelcoAted to match and footrests like newer models.
    4) wet sanded and polished boat and surprisingly came out great
    5) new seats with removable armrest/drink holder or 3rd seat option/steering wheel/capacity plates/oem stickers..etc
    6) new lowrance electronics ti9 front and back

but I fear that I will grow tired of the 41-43mph that I get from the undersized 90hp Mercury elpto I have now. I feel that I’m too far into the boat now and to be honest after these custom modifications I’m OK with it I’m not a big guy and mostly Fish alone. But this upcoming summer I plan to fish different areas that would require me driving 50 miles each direction every so often. So the things I have been considering

1) 125hp mercury 2stroke max on my plate (remanufactured)
    2) 135hp evinrude HO
    3) 150hp OptiMax (remanufactured)
    4) 115hp mercury 4stroke (ends up heavier and still under powered?)

I’m kinda leaning towards the evinrude because I’d prefer not to have the motor at wot for the entire ride and have read a lot of good things about that and the 150hp motor. Iv built commercial boats for the better part of 15yrs so I know the down side of going over the plate. But I am not a outboard guy so any good advise would help.
    Last edited by NitroTundra; 12-26-2019 at 06:27 PM.

2. Member
    I don't know the legalities of going over the plate (my 896 is "overpowered") but if you can I would go with the Evinrude or the optimax. I really like the Evinrude's even though I am currently running a optimax. Warranty is normally very good on those Evinrudes.

3. Member
    I didn’t see what brand of motor you have. Switching brands requires cables and controls also. Over powering can cause insurance as well as liability issues if you were involved in an accident.

4. Member
    For a small time I had the new 115 mercury 4 stroke pro xs and honestly I don’t think it’s be underpowered. The old motors from my knowledge were rated at the crank vs now they are rated at the prop. So that’s 90 hp at the crank vs now you’re getting all 115 to the prop. For example that motor will push a 179trx 49mph, that boat being a little heavier meaning you should be able to get 50mph. All while having the reliability of the new 4 strokes. Just my 2 cents

5. Member
    Maybe I’m a rare breed of person, I like knowing I can go faster if I wanted to. Example, I have a supercharged/worked out Toyota Tundra, last I checked before putting on 35” tires I had almost 880hp on the dyno. I could go around racing every moron on the road, But yea I rarely even speed. I currently have a 02 mercury 75hp elpto which I did the conversion to the 90hp carb jets /advanced timing and went from 37-38 to 41-43 (yes if u need a carb rebuild it’s worth it, was like $11 for (3) .60 jets). Smoken would you say more about your repower?

Based on what you said in reply#1 and #5 I say none of the above will truly make you happy. I could give an in depth explanation but I would like to have more information before I go forward...

What controls so you have with your current setup? You said 90 HP but did not specify what brand of controls you have. "Most" Nitro's are rigged for Mercury controls but there is a very few rigged with something other than Mercury. What is yours rigged for?

You mentioned that 150 HP is over the recommended limit but never did specify what the max HP limit was?

Not that it really matters but do you have a jackplate?

7. Member
    It’s rigged with mercury 90hp/ gauges, I’d also purchase new gauges/throttle/steering with whatever motor I go with. Max Hp is 125hp which is a hard to find motor now a days especially in decent condition as u can imagine. No jack plate but not out of the question after I choose a motor