Experienced flats fisherman switching to bass boats/fresh water. Need advice

Happy Holidays to everyone first of all!

I need advice. Been lurking on this board for 6+ months. Longtime flats fisherman. Reds, snapper, snook etc. Fished SWFL saltwater for 30 years. Owned several flats boats.
    Relocated for work/environment to Central Florida and the Harris chain of lakes. Spent my kid years fishing for smallmouth in Maine in aluminum john boats starting with oars and working my way up to a 9.9 evinrude. Going back to my roots.

Looking at new bass boats. Boy are they expensive.

I'm looking to spend 30's.

What would you be looking at in that price range?
    Last edited by Dtronic; 12-23-2019 at 08:20 PM.

2. Member
    The 30's should get you a nice used bass boat from a good manufacturer that is fairly well equipped. Or, you could get into a new entry level model for the same money.

3. Banned
    I live pretty close to you in Deland, whatever you do make sure you check out the Triton line of bass boats. I'm on my second Triton after owning a Stratos and a Ranger and it is by far my favorite hull to ride in. I have a Triton TR-22 with an Evinrude 225 HO on it. It handles the roughest water like a Cadillac on I-95. I spend a lot of time on Lake George (can be like an ocean) and on the St. Johns river not far from you...

4. Member
    Do You still have a flats boat? The work great for a freshwater as well.
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl
    1996 Johnson Faststrike J150GLEDB

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sixpack1 View Post
    I live pretty close to you in Deland, whatever you do make sure you check out the Triton line of bass boats. I'm on my second Triton after owning a Stratos and a Ranger and it is by far my favorite hull to ride in. I have a Triton TR-22 with an Evinrude 225 HO on it. It handles the roughest water like a Cadillac on I-95. I spend a lot of time on Lake George (can be like an ocean) and on the St. Johns river not far from you...
    I went up to Miller's in Ocala. They are not a Triton dealer for 2020. I need to search for another Triton dealer. Millers' did have a 2011 Ranger 521 w/ Yamaha 250SHO. I crawled around it for a couple hours. I was thinking new 18' but the water on Harris looks rough most of the time. Have you been on a 21 foot Ranger? I'd rather have a smooth ride than speed.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottOz View Post
    Do You still have a flats boat? The work great for a freshwater as well.
    My last flats was a 1820 Action Craft. Sold it 2 years ago. This will be the longest I have not had a boat since I was 12.

7. Banned
    I have my 1999 Triton in my sig for sale. Great fishing platform, strong Mercury 150 XR6. I took the power poles off and put them on my TR-22. It rides on a new aluminum trailer. Let me know if you're interested...
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Member
    I can't speak for other brands, but I'm literally amazed by how smooth my Triton TRX189 is. I swear it handles up to about 1ft, maybe even a bit higher, chop more smoothly than my deep-V 21 ft Sea Hunt. The Triton's are FAT and HEAVY compared to most of their competitors, which makes for a great ride.

You can get onto a TRX189 for about $34.5K completely bare. Most of 'em come out of the factory with turn signal trim and a hot foot, both of which I'd say are more or less necessary to safely operate a boat this small yet this fast. I went in to look at a 179 but they only had a 189 on the lot and it just screamed at me that it wanted to go home with me.. so it did.

You can get a Nitro Z17 or Z18 in the 30's as well. That said having spent several weeks driving all over the state and crawling all over every bass boat I could find, the Nitros just felt CHEAP compared to the Triton.

Another AWESOME option in that price range that I TOTALLY missed until after I had already made my purchase are Xpress aluminum boats. I know absolutely nothing beyond what I can see on their website (xpressboats.com/bass), but if I were starting my search for a bass boat in the 30s all over again, I would make whatever drive was necessary to at least kick the engine cowl on one of these X21 Pros. I looked at a bunch of Lowes and Crestliners and even Rangers but I didn't feel the price point matched what I was getting out of any of those aluminum boats. No idea how they ride, but I'm very impressed by what I see on their website.

9. Member
    All the major brands make nice boats so definitely dont get brand locked. I run a skeeter zx 225 and love it! That being said, definitely get an idea of how you want it equipped, lowrance, birds , ultex or whatever you think you would want, adding that stuff afterward can get very pricey. Lots of nice boats, with low hrs in your price range. Good luck!

Check out the various Triton reviews in the triton owners area. Quite a few not so glowing reviews.

Could just be the newer models now that they are part of the Nitro family under Johnny Morris and the Walmart of outdoor stuff - bass pro shops.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

I live near the Villages. I have had Young Boats for the Flat's and fished out of Yankee Town. I have two Bass Boats here, (Not for sale). You are welcome to see some differences if you want. A Bullet and a Phoenix. I have also had Express and Bass Cats. All good boats.

12. Member
    Thanks for the info. Looking at new Nitros now at Nobles.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Lobo View Post
    I can't speak for other brands, but I'm literally amazed by how smooth my Triton TRX189 is. I swear it handles up to about 1ft, maybe even a bit higher, chop more smoothly than my deep-V 21 ft Sea Hunt. The Triton's are FAT and HEAVY compared to most of their competitors, which makes for a great ride.

You can get onto a TRX189 for about $34.5K completely bare. Most of 'em come out of the factory with turn signal trim and a hot foot, both of which I'd say are more or less necessary to safely operate a boat this small yet this fast. I went in to look at a 179 but they only had a 189 on the lot and it just screamed at me that it wanted to go home with me.. so it did.

You can get a Nitro Z17 or Z18 in the 30's as well. That said having spent several weeks driving all over the state and crawling all over every bass boat I could find, the Nitros just felt CHEAP compared to the Triton.

Another AWESOME option in that price range that I TOTALLY missed until after I had already made my purchase are Xpress aluminum boats. I know absolutely nothing beyond what I can see on their website (xpressboats.com/bass), but if I were starting my search for a bass boat in the 30s all over again, I would make whatever drive was necessary to at least kick the engine cowl on one of these X21 Pros. I looked at a bunch of Lowes and Crestliners and even Rangers but I didn't feel the price point matched what I was getting out of any of those aluminum boats. No idea how they ride, but I'm very impressed by what I see on their website.
    Thank for the tips.