Adjusting the jack plate?

I raised my jack plate up to 10 dots. It's a little too high. I tried dropping the jp down to 9 dots, but when I turn the nut the other way it just gets loose and the jp will not lower. Both bolts on each side are loose. I tried raising and lowering the trim to see if the movement would shake it loose, but it didn't work. Do you have any tips to lower the jack plate?
    2019 Skeeter ZX225

2. Member
    I find it goes down easier if the motor is trimmed up about half way....It takes backward weight off the side bolts. I usually have to grab/shake the lower unit to coax it. But don't loosen off the center bolt too much since you don't want it to drop a lot at once.

3. Member
    "Bump" the trim a few times and that will often break it free.

Grab the top of the cowling and shake it left to right make sure you don't have to much slack it will drop it's easy to get these plates off center and they will bind up

5. Member
    I have tried all of the above and nothing. The 2 bolts on each side are loose and I can easily turn them with a 3/4" socket wrench. I trimmed the motor up and down, bumped the trim up and down, and shook the motor side to side. It looks like I will have to have the place that changes my oil take a look at it. Any other suggestions?
    2019 Skeeter ZX225

6. Member
    I have a 2018 FX21LE. I just did this last weekend. The first thing you need is patience. Same as me. It took me about 1.5 hours for a 20 min job.

1) I thought the bolts were loose, but they were not. The nut can be loose, but the bolt is still tight. Loosen the bolt AFTER loosening the nut. The bolt is threaded into the flange on the inside.

2) I had the Transom jack plate installation of the Transducer shield and saver installed. The back screw for this was also drilled through the same flange on the bottom. I had to remove the bolt and then re drill a new hole after I got it in place.

3) be careful to leave enough thread and bolt attached to the pole arms so it doesn’t fall.

4) After the bolts are truly loose, and no other plate or bolt is attached, it will easily move up or down.

5) I have mine at 5 dots for porpoising control. Previously it was at 7.5 dots. The porpoising went from a 10 to a 4 on my feel-better scale. I still don’t like it, so I am having CB build me a foil.

6) After you get the right number of dots, make sure it’s the same on both sides. I used a piece of wood to lightly tap on the high side of the plate to make it even.

7) when tightening the bolts, do the bolt first, then the nut. Tighten the bolt to the same value first, then the nut.

8) before tightening, make sure your poles are level and cantered the same way.

9) I had my trim about in the middle, but I don’t think it mattered.

10) loosen the jack plate bolt (left) lowers the motor.

i was drinking beer with my brother while doing this. We both argued about how to do it. Normal. I would recommend not doing either :)
    Last edited by eds; 12-24-2019 at 07:37 AM.

7. Member
    I finally got it to move down. I trimmed the motor as high as it could go. Loosened the two bolts on each side of the jack plate, the grabbed the lower unit and shook it pretty hard. Dropped it down to 8 dots, almost 9. Gonna run it tomorrow to see what she will do. Thanks for all of your advice!
    2019 Skeeter ZX225

8. Member
    Good deal. Small adjustments can make a big difference so let us know the outcome.

9. Member
    I usually persuade mine with a rubber mallet.

Grab lower unit and jiggle.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by model70man View Post
    I finally got it to move down. I trimmed the motor as high as it could go. Loosened the two bolts on each side of the jack plate, the grabbed the lower unit and shook it pretty hard. Dropped it down to 8 dots, almost 9. Gonna run it tomorrow to see what she will do. Thanks for all of your advice!
    Any follow up? How did this affect performance?
    2020 Skeeter ZX200 / 200 SHO