water pump change out

Just picked up a 2003 with 12 hours on it. I am going to change out the thermostats and water pump. My motor serial number is OT775051. I purchased the kit # 46-96148A 8. I haven't dropped the lower unit yet to look at it but it sure looks like the new one is a small impellar and cup to me. The one on my evinrude was much bigger than this one.
    Did I purchase the correct kit?
    Thanks
    Last edited by TxRanger1; 12-22-2019 at 06:07 PM.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You sure did. Your XR6 has a high-pressure, low volume pump.

Your 'rude was a low pressure, high volume pump (so that impeller looked huge).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TxRanger1 View Post
    Just picked up a 2003 with 12 hours on it. I am going to change out the thermostats and water pump. My motor serial number is OT775051. I purchased the kit # 46-96148A 8. I haven't dropped the lower unit yet to look at it but it sure looks like the new one is a small impellar and cup to me. The one on my evinrude was much bigger than this one.
    Did I purchase the correct kit?
    Thanks
    Wow,talk about a garage queen. It’s not even broken yet.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    Wow,talk about a garage queen. It’s not even broken yet.
    Yes, I had to buy the boat and trailer that it was on to get it. The boat was a procraft in pretty bad shape, seats an carpet was destroyed. The trailer is a nice trailer with the swing tongue. The motor had dirt dobber nests and a rats nest in it but nothing was chewed on so got lucky there. Got it all cleaned out and moved the motor over to my boat. Thought that I should do a lite maintenance on it before I run it. Idles a little rough so I ran a little sea foam through it on the muffs to see if it would settle out. It gets a little smoother every time I crank it up. I think it will be okay once I start running it.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    You sure did. Your XR6 has a high-pressure, low volume pump.

Your 'rude was a low pressure, high volume pump (so that impeller looked huge).
    Good to know, thanks

6. Member
    How long has it sit , if been real long like it sounds. Clean carbs with all new fuel lines , no kits if u can save gaskets , just clean , poppet kit, 03 with 12 hrs. I'd replace. sitting is the worst

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Definitely would recommend going through the fuel system and carbs... good idea to just get new gaskets and needles simply due to their age.

Complete Sync-n-Link procedure when reassembling.

Remember- this is extremely critical as any FUEL delivery problem is also an oil delivery problem on this engine model.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    I feel as if you will like this engine once you get it going and all the bugs worked out. I had one once on a bass boat and loved it. They use a little more gas than some but appear to be bullet proof if properly maintained. What a Find, happy for you!!

I would be changing out fuel lines too.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

10. Member
    Yep I am changing it all out.