Hydraulic to Electric Brakes

How difficult would it be to go from Hydraulic to Electric brakes on a 2009 Marine Master trailer?

Also would there be an advantage to this?
    2009 Triton 20X3
    Mercury 250 ProXS

"Can't" means "don't want to"

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Can’t see much advantage. You’ll need a controller in your tow vehicle, you’ll need to secure the coupler so it doesn’t slide, you’ll need new hubs with drums to replace the rotors, run wiring from the tongue from a new 7-pin connector, and then the backing plates in place of the calipers.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

More work and expense than it is worth. Also, more apt to fail. It's a BOAT trailer, not a utility trailer that never gets Submerged. No advantage there !!!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

4. Member
    Well, I personally am doing this modification to my trailer. It will be a better set up... Travel trailers utilize this set up with drum brakes but there are EOH controllers specific to disc brakes. The few people whom I've spoken with that have done this have given much praise. The set up is more costly up front as the EOH controllers aren't cheap. Do some research, I think you will be surprised at what responses you may find.

More work and expense than it is worth. Also, more apt to fail. It's a BOAT trailer, not a utility trailer that never gets Submerged. No advantage there !!!
    My opinion also ! Submerging drum brakes in water then let them sit for any length of time is nothing but trouble. Add saltwater and it's even worse.
    there are EOH controllers specific to disc brakes
    EOH or electric over hydraulic.. IMO is the best trailer brake system available.
    However; IMO--- way overkill and cost prohibitive on a bass boat.

Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    More work ---yes

Fail?? 10 years with electric brakes 20 years ago---- not one failure. Electric brakes on a boat trailer aren't for everyone, only the ones smart enough to unplug the cord before the hubs go under the water.=Electric brakes actually work better than surge brakes with drum/shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    More work ---yes

Fail?? 10 years with electric brakes 20 years ago---- not one failure. Electric brakes on a boat trailer aren't for everyone, only the ones smart enough to unplug the cord before the hubs go under the water.=Electric brakes actually work better than surge brakes with drum/shoes.
    Can't say as I've seen any surge brakes with drum/shoes on a name brand modern day bass boat trailer . I remember some on a horse trailer about 30 years ago and they were a Pos.

Just curious-- does unplugging the electric brakes keep all those little metal parts inside from rusting ?

You haven’t seen any surge brakes/ drum brakes on a modern trailer?? Daymn time for me to buy a new trailer I guess.

as far as rust, I never had any problems. Time I drive the minimum 8-10 miles home, most the time the 60 miles home, everything is dried out. I installed electric brakes on a trailer must have been in 92’. Trailer came with no brakes.

daymn antique — this one came from EZ Loader with surge/ drum brakes

https://postimg.cc/Rqb1qdZt
    Last edited by Bassman Ia.; 01-02-2020 at 04:51 PM.

Electric brakes actually work better than surge brakes with drum/shoes.
    Daymn time for me to buy a new trailer I guess
    You said it ! I agree ..

Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Can't say as I've seen any surge brakes with drum/shoes on a name brand modern day bass boat trailer . I remember some on a horse trailer about 30 years ago and they were a Pos.
    You need to get out more often, 90% of the boat trailers in this country have drum brakes.

11. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    You need to get out more often, 90% of the boat trailers in this country have drum brakes.
    Not for the last 20 years or so. Switched over to disks for the most part.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Not for the last 20 years or so. Switched over to disks for the most part.
    Yea probably, still lots of drum brake trailers that have worked flawlessly over the years
    Last edited by Bassman Ia.; 01-02-2020 at 11:47 PM.

Yea probably, still lots of drum brake trailers that have worked flawlessly over the years
    Not where I'm from on boat trailers. Have you ever changed a set of shoes vs a set of pads ?.. Last boat I had with drums we had to beat the hubs off with a sledge hammer. Once we got inside most of the small parts, springs etc were rusted to the point of failure. Wound up gutting it and ran it without brakes.

Thats why they quit using them. There's a reason they all went to disc brakes. just saying
    For the record the lakes around here have high salt content and extremely hard water..
    Last edited by fishnfireman; 01-03-2020 at 06:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Not where I'm from on boat trailers. Have you ever changed a set of shoes vs a set of pads ?.. Last boat I had with drums we had to beat the hubs off with a sledge hammer. Once we got inside most of the small parts, springs etc were rusted to the point of failure. Wound up gutting it and ran it without brakes.

Thats why they quit using them. There's a reason they all went to disc brakes. just saying
    For the record the lakes around here have high salt content and extremely hard water..

Have I ever changed shoes? Many times in the last 50 years. No salt content in our lakes. For 100 years vehicles ran drum/ shoe brakes. Maybe not in Texas but plenty of places in the country brakes get submerged.

I pull my drums every year ( winter time) clean/ repack bearings, service brakes. Getting ready in the next few weeks to do it, last year nothing had rusted away..

Disc brakes are a lot easier to service more trouble free, on some vehicles, ( we removed disc brakes on 400 semi trailers because they were chit, locked up at interstate speeds for no reason)

Getting back to the OP’s post. I had electric brakes on a boat trailer, they were flawless for 10 years. Like everything mechanical PM is the key.