Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

advice for dropshot rod?

I'm pretty new to custom rods. I've got a guy who has built a couple for me. He does great work and I've been happy with my first two.

I'm looking to have a dropshot rod built. This will be for casting and dragging - not vertical dropshotting.

I almost pulled the trigger on an NRX 822 ($415 shipped is the best price I could find). I have a few other NRX rods and love them. My 852s gets a lot of use.

I figured if I'm going to spend the money, why not go with a custom rod and have the exact length/feel I want.

All I know so far is that I want something between 7'0 - 7'3. Cork, split grip.

As far as budget goes - obviously I have to pay the guy to build it, and I don't know his prices on blanks/guides/etc. Let's ballpark and say under $350 for the components.

Can anyone help with some advice on blanks and guides? I've looked at blanks online until I'm blue in the face. I don't know much about guides. I just want to end up with a sensitive rod that will work best for casting & dragging a dropshot. I don't need this to be a multi-purpose rod or anything.

I was looking at the RainShadow Immortal IMMS72ML. Are any of the St Croix blanks significantly better?
    2023 Puma STS

2. Member
    I,m building 3 similar rods now. One for myself and my 2 sons. I chose the Rainshadow REVS610 MLXF. I'm impressed with the blank so far, very light at 1.5 Oz, and the action feels good. I'm sure the Immortal blank would be even better. Definitely go with Titanium guides, I like the Minima M Match and Minima SV for the reduction guides and for the running guides use Model F. Fuji has similar lines of Titanium guides and your builder can help you pick what he likes to work with. My costs ended up at a bit over $100 per rod, including reel seats and composite cork split grips. I'll post some pics when completed.
    A custom rod is all about what you like, so choose accordingly.

3. Member
    What type of line, and what lb test line? Also, what weights are you planning on throwing?

4. Member
    10lb braid with 8lb fluoro leader. Weight will usually be 1/8 - 1/4.
    2023 Puma STS

5. Member
    I just build a MHX Elite X NSJ8225-MHX with Fuji Alconite guides. Weight come in .1oz heavier than NRX 822 SYR. Actions also feel very close to the same. Haven't got it out on the water yet to test but think it is going to be close to the NRX.

6. Member
    Point Blank PB691MLXF is my favorite dropshot blank at any price. It's only 6'9" but I cast and drag with it just fine

7. Member
    Since you're comparing to NRX, you'd probably want to go high end.

As willwork4fish said, the PB691MLXF would be a great choice, or you could go PB701LXF (little less power) or PB701MLF (little more power).

You can also try NFC X-Ray DS 721-1 (drop shot model) or my favorite, MB 733-1.

There's also Phenix K2's, but for drop shotting, I feel the above models will do better than any model K2.

As far as guides go, I'd go with Fuji titanium sic's and build it with KL-H (KR concept) guides. Just what I do, but I like to build mine according to reel size:

1000 sized reels: TKLSG 16H, 8H, 5.5M
    2500 sized reels: TKLSG 20H, 10H, 5.5M

Then one KB belly guide (TKBSG), followed by KT runners (TKTSG). Since you're running a connection knot, I'd keep these runner guides at around size 5. My favorite tip top are Fuji's Arowana (KG) tops.

What "TKTSG" means:
    T - frame material. T = titanium
    KT - name of guide. This case, it's Fuji's KT runner guides.
    SG - ring material. SG = SIC, AG = Alconite, TG = Torzite

I’ve got one I built on a Feather blank, 7’1” medium, fishes as well as one I built on an X-Ray (and the power is much more in line with other companies ML due to Phenix’s rating system). The blank cost $70. That’s less than 1/3 what their K2 costs, and I’m fairly confident you’d not know the difference. If anything, the Feather may feel better due to the way those blanks balance so well.

I’m becoming of the belief the the ultra high end blanks aren’t offering much of an advantage anymore due to the advances in blank tech across the board. Willwork’s high end vs “low end” test reinforces that.

If you do decide to go the NFC route, I’d caution against the Drop Shot specific blank (DS series) unless you’re throwing 1/8 oz at the heaviest and really 1/16 most often. It’s very light powered. The MB 733 Willwork mentioned would be a much better choice for a more versatile stick and really, you won’t lose anything on the light side either.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    I’ve got one I built on a Feather blank, 7’1” medium, fishes as well as one I built on an X-Ray (and the power is much more in line with other companies ML due to Phenix’s rating system). The blank cost $70. That’s less than 1/3 what their K2 costs, and I’m fairly confident you’d not know the difference. If anything, the Feather may feel better due to the way those blanks balance so well.

I’m becoming of the belief the the ultra high end blanks aren’t offering much of an advantage anymore due to the advances in blank tech across the board. Willwork’s high end vs “low end” test reinforces that.

If you do decide to go the NFC route, I’d caution against the Drop Shot specific blank (DS series) unless you’re throwing 1/8 oz at the heaviest and really 1/16 most often. It’s very light powered. The MB 733 Willwork mentioned would be a much better choice for a more versatile stick and really, you won’t lose anything on the light side either.
    ogrich mentioned the MB733...I hadn't even thought about that one for DS but I'll have to give it a shot, have one in the basement.

The high end/low end test was admittedly pretty unscientific, that being said I've always tried to put rods in peoples hands at a relatively affordable price and it just kind of reinforced what I already thought. As a fisherman first and a rod builder second I just want something that fishes well. Certain higher end components (torzites for example) just don't translate into a better fishing rod IMO

I will second what Drew says abouth the NFC DS blank. I bought some and build them as panfish rods...a guy is picking one up this afternoon actually. Makes a great crappie rod.

Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    ogrich mentioned the MB733...I hadn't even thought about that one for DS but I'll have to give it a shot, have one in the basement.

The high end/low end test was admittedly pretty unscientific, that being said I've always tried to put rods in peoples hands at a relatively affordable price and it just kind of reinforced what I already thought. As a fisherman first and a rod builder second I just want something that fishes well. Certain higher end components (torzites for example) just don't translate into a better fishing rod IMO

I will second what Drew says abouth the NFC DS blank. I bought some and build them as panfish rods...a guy is picking one up this afternoon actually. Makes a great crappie rod.
    My mistake on mis-attributing the credit on the NFC blank, read that on my phone and clearly read it wrong.

I built mine on a SJ 732 and though it's got more ass to it than the DS rod, it's still a little underpowered...I can manage. The 71M Feather blank handles the lighter stuff just as well, but has a little more ass to it which can help at times (big smallmouth, vegetation, 3/8 weights, etc). The NFC MB 733 would be really sweet for it, though, I think exhibiting similar characteristics with dealing with the lighter stuff well but having more power when needed.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

11. Member
    Point Blank PB691MLXF is my favorite dropshot blank at any price. It's only 6'9" but I cast and drag with it just fine
    Get the best blank you can within your budget. This is the blank you want right here. Leaves plenty of change for your components.

12. Member
    Plus you can have it extended 3 inches

I have thought many a time about building my own rods. By the time I got the blank, eyes, and handle I was at the same price as a high end rod. A GLX 820S will be just what you need for that weight of drop shot. Perfect for that range.

14. Member
    Do you not find it to be too light (power)? I've never used one, but I was scared off by the specs on the Point Blank page: Lure Wt: 1/32 to 3/8oz.

1/32 is really light!
    2023 Puma STS

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TNReb View Post
    Do you not find it to be too light (power)? I've never used one, but I was scared off by the specs on the Point Blank page: Lure Wt: 1/32 to 3/8oz.

1/32 is really light!
    Not at all. I've used 1/2oz weights on it with no problem though 1/4-3/8 is my go to. I fish Sturgeon Bay/Door County relatively often and have caught many smallies from 4-6 on it. Handles them beautifully. I've got 4 or 5 rods I currently use for DS some with more power and some with less...St. Croix SCV610MXF, Rod Geeks B473MHXS, Shikari P7000, NFC DS761, and this old ML Carrot Stix Wild Black (actually a great rod). The Point Blank is my tournament DS rod every time. It replaced a SCV610MLXF that I broke a few years ago and I prefer it over that.

The Rod Geeks B473MHXS is also a good one, real unique blank with a great tip for DS but also a ton of power. When the wind really blows and I have to go over 1/2oz for my DS weight that's the one I pull out. Actually prefer it over the SCV.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bass View Post
    I have thought many a time about building my own rods. By the time I got the blank, eyes, and handle I was at the same price as a high end rod. A GLX 820S will be just what you need for that weight of drop shot. Perfect for that range.
    A GLX820S is $414. Even at retail a PB691MLXF is $149, a set of SiC's (same as on the Loomis) is $76.30, a VSSM seat and matching cork another $30.70, a nice anodized butt cap will be around $10 and some shims another $1.61...that's $267.61...you've got $146 left over which is enough for a rod building start up kit. Now you can build and fix as many as you want.

I'd personally just go with alconites for around $30, a $5 standard Fuji DPSM and another $12 for some cork rings and shape my own handle. That'll save you another $70.

Get it all during GetBits next sale and you can usually take off another 15% and get it shipped free.

17. Member
    I love the NFC x ray, and if i was going to do anything over 1/8 oz, id go with the sj732 or mb 733. vs the ds 721. If under 1/8 oz, id go with the ds 721. that said, i just built a rod on the IM series blank, and the difference is not much at all.
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

Bouncin' off rocks, and catching the smallies.

Potomac River Smallmouth Guide

Owner of Potomac Custom Tackle

18. Member
    A GLX820S is $414. Even at retail a PB691MLXF is $149, a set of SiC's (same as on the Loomis) is $76.30, a VSSM seat and matching cork another $30.70, a nice anodized butt cap will be around $10 and some shims another $1.61...that's $267.61...you've got $146 left over which is enough for a rod building start up kit. Now you can build and fix as many as you want.

I'd personally just go with alconites for around $30, a $5 standard Fuji DPSM and another $12 for some cork rings and shape my own handle. That'll save you another $70.

Get it all during GetBits next sale and you can usually take off another 15% and get it shipped free.
    Very good post.

19. Member

I agree good post. But you left off the $146 goes toward another rod. That is how it ends up costing more than off the shelf.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by denraytay View Post
    I agree good post. But you left off the $146 goes toward another rod. That is how it ends up costing more than off the shelf.
    Oh shit for sure...if you start building rods there's a good chance you'll have a room in your house that looks something like this...shop.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast