Multi-Purpose Heavy

Since I’ve just recently startled dabbling into high end rods n reel, I’ve made the decision to upgrade my heavy. Right now I’ve got my eyes on a Megabass Destroyer Valdivia. It’s a little longer than desired, but seems to fit wide range of use that’s desired. Looking for a few other rod options, my only stipulation is that it’s not a broomstick. Had to load, good loading, and moderately light weight. Please don’t suggest G-Loomis, not my style and I’ve fished them

The focus is flipping, light punching, n frogs.
    Last edited by NathanDLTH; 12-21-2019 at 01:01 PM.

2. Member
    Honestly thats a good choice for an all rounder heavy set up. i really liked my valdivia it has an extra fast tip but its not a broom stick and the mid blank actually flexes a bit as well. Its almost like its a dual taper kind of hard to explain until you fish it. I used it for c rigs, football jigs, regular jigs, and swimbaits on jig heads like the bigger keitech baits. It was one of my favorites in the line up. I have not fished the new daiwa ags bottom contact so that one might be a great choice as well. Also conquest 904 is a good rod but as you said its in the loomis camp. The kistler z bone 5 power rods imo are pretty stout they almost fish like an extra hvy in my hands. I really dont think you could go wrong with the destroyer if they had a different reel seat i would have held on to that rod in a heart beat.

Regarding the versatility aspect of what you want, can you go into more detail about what you'll be asking this rod to do? Frogs in heavy cover, light punching, deep water foot ball jigs, etc? I've fished the Megabass Valdiva quite a bit and agree, that's a good consideration. Depending on what you want to do, the new Steez AGS 75MH/H Bottom Contact may work out for you too.

A fantastic JDM Megabass option is the Carbon Head Wild Bunch. It is a VERY versatile rod I've thrown everything from lighter umbrella rigs to pitching a jig. Lots of good options out there, feel free to PM me if I can help out.

Gary-I’m asking this rod to do flipping, light punching, deeper jigs, frogs in cover. Tall order I know. But trying to keep my rods to a decent number. Less is more mentality.

I’ve battled about the Steez MH/H since hearing about it and it looks like a killer rod. If it wasn’t for previously having three Tatula Elite AGS rods go down because guides breaking, I would consider trying it. My equipment rides in my car for periods, yes they are all sleeved during travel. But three rods.

Price is a big factor too-the Destroyers are right where I wanna be in the $400 range.
    Last edited by NathanDLTH; 12-21-2019 at 09:00 AM.

5. Member
    The Shimano Conquest 904C is the best out there for what you have described. I like mine much better than the Valdivia. I’m starting to look at Daiwa Rods like Gary mentioned as well.

Its a tall order, but it can be done with the right rod. It also sounds like you want a shorter rod for car travel, which is where that Megabass Carbon Head Wild Bunch comes into play. I'd take it over the Valdiva for your applications. It is a JDM style heavy moderate fast that works great for bigger moving bait applications, but its still plenty powerful and sensitive for your jig/plastic presentations, plus its 7'2".

On another note, I've been fishing rods with AGS guides for years now and have yet to have a single failure. I certainly consider them to be an advantage rather than a disadvantage. For this rod, obviously the focus will be on non-AGS rods, but if it was, the Steez AGS 74XH would be an ideal choice.

Well there is certainly a lot to think about here.

People have said that the Tatula Elite AGS guides are not the same as the Steez AGS guides. It might be worth taking the risk again? Just not overly confident in them.

8. Member
    The st croix legend extreme lxc711hmf will do everything you mentioned. It’s extremely versatile, I use it for jigs, carolina rigging, swimbaits, frogging, I don’t punch but it would no doubt do it well. It’s long (7’11”), fairly light, runs around $450 new

Quote Originally Posted by NathanDLTH View Post
    Well there is certainly a lot to think about here.

People have said that the Tatula Elite AGS guides are not the same as the Steez AGS guides. It might be worth taking the risk again? Just not overly confident in them.
    Through TT, I know a lot of guys who use both Steez AGS rods and Tatula Elite AGS rods. The breakage/damage rate from normal fishing is almost nonexistent and not disproportional with any other high end guide. Just like any guide, impact, misuse, and user error can cause damage. Either way, that 74XH is a great choice for your application...

In the Croix line, that 74H is another interesting option and less expensive than the Steez, but I like the Steez a LOT better...

10. Member
    i concur with Gary ive had two rods since they came out with the ags guides and they are fine i did break one guide however but i was was bank fishing and dropped the rod on the rocks because i about fell when i tried to gather my footing i stepped right on the bottom guide and it cracked it. This was totally my fault and honestly would have broken any non ags guide i think. they are pretty durable.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanDLTH View Post
    Gary-I’m asking this rod to do flipping, light punching, deeper jigs, frogs in cover. Tall order I know. But trying to keep my rods to a decent number. Less is more mentality.

I’ve battled about the Steez MH/H since hearing about it and it looks like a killer rod. If it wasn’t for previously having three Tatula Elite AGS rods go down because guides breaking, I would consider trying it. My equipment rides in my car for periods, yes they are all sleeved during travel. But three rods.

Price is a big factor too-the Destroyers are right where I wanna be in the $400 range.
    Wouldn't the Bunker Buster tick all these boxes?
    I come from the land of the ice and snow.
    YouTube: PunchFishing

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by punch View Post
    Find a deal on a Conquest 904C. It’s the only rod I can think of that can do all you are asking. It has a great taper, great sensitivity and it’s very durable. I have owned the Valdivia and there is no comparison. The Conquest Rods are very versatile.

13. Member
    Shimano Expride 7’2 heavy (7’6 if you are looking for added length) is super versatile. Early and late season I can use it with arigs around cover. The shorter length provides great accuracy. And in the summer you can use it for lighter frogs, deep jigs, crigs, grass rod and a pitchin stick in thick cover. Super versatile and plenty sensitive.

14. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Landar View Post
    Find a deal on a Conquest 904C. It’s the only rod I can think of that can do all you are asking. It has a great taper, great sensitivity and it’s very durable. The Conquest Rods are very versatile.
    +1

I have 14 Conquests, 4 of which are the 904C's.

Good luck OP

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

15. Member
    There is also the Dobyns Xtasy 755 or the Champion Extreme HP 746 flip. I don’t think you can go wrong with the 746. It has a good tip, but a lot of backbone, and Dobyns might not be the lightest rods, but the balance is definitely better than other high end rods. For everything that you’re wanting to do, but shorter than a Valdavia, either of those would be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsherm62 View Post
    There is also the Dobyns Xtasy 755 or the Champion Extreme HP 746 flip. I don’t think you can go wrong with the 746. It has a good tip, but a lot of backbone, and Dobyns might not be the lightest rods, but the balance is definitely better than other high end rods. For everything that you’re wanting to do, but shorter than a Valdavia, either of those would be good.
    I actually have the 755.

Well I found a Destroyer Valdivia for 275 shipped, so I jumped on it. Should be here this week.

Quote Originally Posted by punch View Post

Bunker Buster is a little much for frogs. I've experimented with it a bit on frogs and it did not work well for me. Great for flipping and light punching.