Thread: 2.6l HPDI???

2.6l HPDI???

I've got a 175 HPDI that I'm thinking about putting a phase 1 kit on. Does the heads that come with this kit require a higher octane fuel?

2. Member
    Yes. Minimum 91 octane.. I run 93 octane....

3. Member
    How much does the reeds help with the idle quality?

4. Member
    I can't answer that. My engine already had them installed. I've read that they improve the idle. Maybe someone else can give a good before and after. Hydro Tec has great products and I haven't been disappointed with any products or support. They have a very knowledgeable staff.

5. Member
    I had a 175 HPDI before upgrading to a 300. I put Carson reeds on and modified my air intake box. No real noticeable difference, idle or otherwise. It's been reported that the 2.6 doesn't really wake up much, if any horsepower, with sport heads, so I didn't go there. Best improvement I made was a Tempest prop @ 5800 RPM's. On my 300, I have Carson reeds, Hydro heads, mod airbox and a lightweight flywheel. It's on a deckboat, so I don't reach the speeds you guys do on bass boats, but 62mph with a family on board is more than enough

6. Member
    I run 90 octane non E with a cocktail mix of Lucas upper cylinder treatment / injector cleaner and Marvel mystery oil, for added lubrication/carbon prevention. Haven't destroyed anything yet. Would I do the reeds on the 175? Sure, it was fairly easy to do. Blue loctite the screws

7. Member
    My idle quality has quite improved. Idle bounces between 675 and 700 very slowly now. Smoothed out quite a bit.
    Nick McDaniel