Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by soulloud View Post
    Thanks. I’ll try it.
    I went through the exact same thing you’re going through. I was actually convinced there was something wrong with my boat, maybe the motor or jack plate was installed incorrectly. everybody kept telling me seat time. Well I’m here to give you some encouragement, there’s nothing wrong with your boat, and you will learn to drive it and it will become easier each trip out, until it gets to the point where it is the absolute non-issue. I will tell you, that a jack plate and prop to pad adjustment will make it much easier to control although you still have to learn to drive it. The chine walk you’re experiencing now, with a jack plate and proper adjustment won’t occur until about 66 mph. I have the same hull as you. Before I raised my motor I started to get chine walk around 62 mph. I have a 200 hp four stroke on my boat, and a 23 pitch will not allow me to hit 6000 RPMs, so I think with or without a jack plate you’re going to need to go to at least a 22. I’m thinking about dropping to a 22 because another guy on the form has it figured out, and the 22 is probably the best for a 200 horse, so you might even look at a 21 pitch. Whatever prop you have, don’t get too concerned about the chine walk until you have your prop to pad adjusted, it’s going to be somewhere between 2.5 inches and 3 inches most likely. Once you do that, you will probably achieve 65 mph with no chine walk. at the very least, you will quickly learn how to drive with the chine walk in it will become second nature. I know how frustrating it can be, I went through it. My last boat I could go wide-open throttle with full trim and let go of the steering wheel, but I could never hit anything past 60 mph. It was a TR186 with a 6” jack plate with a 150 Optimax - 3” PTP. I really liked that boat, but I like this one even better. Get a jack plate, adjust the prop, and you will be golden.

2. Member
    Thanks for the encouragement. I’ll ask my dealer if they will swap out my prop.

3. Member
    Figured out my ptp is 3.75” with this as what I get. Wondering where everyone else’s ptp is at?
    5700rpm
    65.3 mph
    1/2 tank
    Light load
    23 tempest plus
    1 guy

4. Member
    Wow. Do you have a jack plate?

Quote Originally Posted by T_Huff189 View Post
    Figured out my ptp is 3.75” with this as what I get. Wondering where everyone else’s ptp is at?
    5700rpm
    65.3 mph
    1/2 tank
    Light load
    23 tempest plus
    1 guy

Confirms my thoughts that with a plate, a 22 Tempest is probably the best prop to achieve close to 6000 rpms.

I'm going to dealer to swap my 23 back for a 21 tempest this weekend. Then I'm just going to run it until I decide to add a plate, if I ever do.....

2019 Triton 189 TRX
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS 4 Stroke
    6" Rapid Jack Magnum Manual Plate

6. Member
    Yeah a 6” manual jack plate. I feel like it’s low though considering the 18trx guys are in the 2.5 inch range

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by T_Huff189 View Post
    Yeah a 6” manual jack plate. I feel like it’s low though considering the 18trx guys are in the 2.5 inch range
    If I were you I would raise it to 3 inches, Your water pressure would still be safe from my experience. Do you have a water gauge? I’m pretty certain you will achieve higher rpm’s, better speed and stability. I will be curious to hear what you learn if you do. 65.3 MPH is pretty good.

8. Member
    On certain days when the weight is just right my 189TRX will hit 60 even with its 150 and it can start walking pretty bad right around 58/59. I'll usually bump the trim down a hair for a second to stabilize her. I'm sure some dudes out there feel comfortable just steering through it but I'd rather lose 1-2 mph for a few seconds...

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Lobo View Post
    On certain days when the weight is just right my 189TRX will hit 60 even with its 150 and it can start walking pretty bad right around 58/59. I'll usually bump the trim down a hair for a second to stabilize her. I'm sure some dudes out there feel comfortable just steering through it but I'd rather lose 1-2 mph for a few seconds...
    Under the utmost perfect conditions I've hit 61.2. It happened once and hasn't happened since. Must have been going downhill lol

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by soulloud View Post
    Thanks. I’ll try it.
    Prop is turning clockwise, you must pull the steering wheel down on the left side to help counter act the rotation. Do not death grip the steering wheel, that makes it worse.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12