Thread: Ranger RT188P

Ranger RT188P

I know this is a “new” model for Ranger, just introduced a few months ago. It looks and has many of the same features as the RT198P, just a foot shorter. I think I am going to get to try one out after the first of the year. Until that happens, was wondering if anyone on here has one or has fished or driven one yet, and what are your thoughts ? I have heard the “Pad” hull makes a huge difference.

2. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    I can vouch for the 198p, it is one heck of a nice ride up on pad. I have to believe that the same Engineering went into the 188p hull design.

There was a fella on here a couple weeks ago asking similar questions, and I don't believe there were many definitive answers just yet, because they are so new. The one piece of advise that I offered was, if you have the opportunity to take one out, take a buddy with you and get someone from the Dealership in there with you as well i.e. get as much weight in the boat as you can. I would also fill the live well with water and run it with all that weight. See how easily she gets up and runs on pad. Hopefully it will have similar performance as the 198 hull, which takes off like a rockot ship and is on pad in a matter of seconds.

Best of luck to you, I hope it goes well and you are impressed.

Keep us in the loop...
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

3. Member
    Look at the Pro’s Choice advantage tour thread up in the Ranger Glass section. Pete gives a good overview of the 188P in there.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbless View Post
    Look at the Pro’s Choice advantage tour thread up in the Ranger Glass section. Pete gives a good overview of the 188P in there.
    I looked at that thread and I just can't get past how cheap that "box" they made in front of the pedal tray looks. I wish they had an option to delete it. Looks like a nice boat, but with the attention to detail that is going into competitors boats, Ranger needs to do better than a cobbled together box.
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Pagregss View Post
    I looked at that thread and I just can't get past how cheap that "box" they made in front of the pedal tray looks. I wish they had an option to delete it. Looks like a nice boat, but with the attention to detail that is going into competitors boats, Ranger needs to do better than a cobbled together box.
    I agree..... detail is really lacking on my 2019 188rt. I really like the boat but if I had to do it over again more shopping would be in order. I assumed that Ranger was still Ranger but I've already had water in the hull issues, tail lights, marker light, windshield doesn't fit correctly, livewell pump once, livewell valve once, livewell cable twice, console was loose when I brought it home, two seat pedestal bases out of four won't take the seat pole pin, and just overall fit and quality is not good.

I've had 5 other rangers with the latest a 2012 and never an issue. A new 521 in our club has already been back to the dealer three times for issues. To bad for a once great company.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pagregss View Post
    Looks like a classic White River marine group design. I agree, needs to be an option to OPT OUT of that one.

7. Member
    Thanks King-Fish, will let you know how the test ride go’s.

8. Member
    Will do.

9. Member
    Thanks for the info Barbless, that was a great place to see the RT188P in action.

And people said the Quality would not be lacking when Bass Pro got involved........
    1995 Viper 201D
    1995 Johnson Venom 200
    Gas mileage is for sissies

Guess i must be missing something. Looking through the gallery on the ranger site looks like a pretty nice boat to me. But then again i never thought the 2013-2016 models were all that special to begin with. Just a regular run of the mill aluminum boat. But lets not forget that innovative hull design and those trim tabs on the bottom cutting edge stuff for sure. This hull looks like some design was put into it. At least ol evil johnny is putting a trailer underneath it that seems to be staying in one piece.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

My only negative about my 198P, is the leg room behind the console. I am 6'4" @ 275. I removed the foot braces and still have to side saddle. Other than the G3, other Bass Boats I looked at, had the same problem. (Xpress was designed for some one no taller than 5'5") That is why I'll never have a Hot Foot. It looks like the 188P has the same console area.
    But my bass boat search was limited as to the requirements of my needs. Bass boat with NO carpet and no wood anywhere. Here on the coast, there was very, very few options.
    Good luck on your search.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

Quote Originally Posted by TritonTRXV8 View Post
    At least ol evil johnny is putting a trailer underneath it that seems to be staying in one piece.

Lets hope he doesn't change the transom design we know how that goes.
    1995 Viper 201D
    1995 Johnson Venom 200

14. Member
    Okay, So I spent about 3 hours in a RT188P yesterday, fishing and riding. Very impressed with Fishability and the performance. This boat had the 115 Merc., Not the Pro XS. But I must say it performed great, max speed I got was 45mph, owner hit 47 one time. Light chop on water, went over some other boat wakes and boat performed very good, got on plane no problem. I believe with ProXS or Yamaha Sho, probably a 5o mph boat, 2 people , full tank of gas is how this boat was set up yesterday. Yamaha is about $1400. 00 more than Merc Pro XS, but Yamaha is offering 5 year warranty until March 31. I do believe am sold on this boat, need to make choice on motor and color, get final price next week.

If you have a choice in motors, look who will service you after the sale! Yamaha SHO require premium gas where as the Merc, just regular grade. For the price difference you could get the extended warranty for the Merc through this web site sponsor at a great price. (Look under the Mercury 4 Stroke forum.)
    Good luck in your purchase!
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

16. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Don't rule out a 115 Etec, if it is a viable option for you...
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeReel1951 View Post
    Okay, So I spent about 3 hours in a RT188P yesterday, fishing and riding. Very impressed with Fishability and the performance. This boat had the 115 Merc., Not the Pro XS. But I must say it performed great, max speed I got was 45mph, owner hit 47 one time. Light chop on water, went over some other boat wakes and boat performed very good, got on plane no problem. I believe with ProXS or Yamaha Sho, probably a 5o mph boat, 2 people , full tank of gas is how this boat was set up yesterday. Yamaha is about $1400. 00 more than Merc Pro XS, but Yamaha is offering 5 year warranty until March 31. I do believe am sold on this boat, need to make choice on motor and color, get final price next week.
    Reads like any other RT188 post. What, if anything was different than the non pad hull?

Glad you made it out for a few hours,

Quote Originally Posted by ForeReel1951 View Post
    Okay, I believe with ProXS or Yamaha Sho, probably a 5o mph boat.
    https://www.boatingmag.com/2020-ranger-rt188p/.....they got 46.4 with ProXS and 2 guys, boattest.com got 46.5 with ProXS. Mine ran 45 all day so I don't see the big difference other than you can put dual power poles on the P Model.
    1995 Viper 201D
    1995 Johnson Venom 200

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic Bob View Post
    If you have a choice in motors, look who will service you after the sale! Yamaha SHO require premium gas where as the Merc, just regular grade.
    Not sure where you got this information, but my 115 SHO doesn't require premium fuel. Yamaha says 87 octane.
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

20. Member
    Hey there Pagregss, I had a 2012 Yamaha, not SHO on a bay boat and Loved it. Why did you choose the Yamaha and not the Merc on yours? Are you happy with the Yamaha, what speed are you getting ?