Recommendations for tow vehicle

I have a stratos 25th anniversary edition boat with matching trailer rated for 5000 lbs. The trailer has its own brakes. I have normally towed it with a 2001 Lexus Lx470 suv. The truck is really rated for about 8500 lbs towing (even though marketing claims 10,000 lbs). I love the turning radius of this vehicle b/c it enables me to back down a very narrow driveway to a garage.

I'm wondering if anyone can advise their experience towing with some of the newer vehicles that sport 6-cylinder engines and higher horsepowers/torques than previously possible.

I'm attracted to the truck features that use regular gas, have a tight turning radius, and have the ability to tow 5000 lbs. All the claims don't matter to me. I'm interested in getting real bass boat users that may have real experiences (good & bad) and thereby have a recommendation back to me. Many thanks for your consideration.
    Jim

2. Member
    3.5 EcoBoost Ford is an animal.

3. Member
    I tow with a v6 Dodge Durango SXT and have no issues at all. The capacity is around 6200 and I feel it’s appropriate. Granted my boat only weighs around 3500lbs it still pulls it like a champ and have no problem accelerating up the mountains to some lakes around here. I’m getting right around 17-19mpg towing and 22-26mpg daily driving (20-23if my wife is driving).

id also take a look into the Toyota 4Runners. I know it’s the same as a Lexus just not as fancy interior but they are very mice tow vehicles.

for reference when we got the durango, we checked out a Chevy Traverse, Jeep Grand Cherokee, And Ford Explorer but the Durango had the better tow capacity costs less and had more interior room for camping stuff. Couldn’t afford a 4Runner even used it was 10k more than a Durango for the same year and miles
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

4. Member
    I'd keep the Lexus if it's in good shape and works for you. The early 2000's were the better ones made and last forever if maintained properly.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsch View Post
    3.5 EcoBoost Ford is an animal.
    2019 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    225 Mercury 4 Stroke ProXS (# 2B591262)
    MinnKota Ultrex trolling motor
    Lowrance HDS Carbons

6. Member
    3.0 Duramax. I need you all to buy and work the bugs out over the next two years so I can get one./.....

7. Member
    We bought the GX460 since they won't put a V8 in the 4-Runner. You can find decent prices on them coming off a three year lease with low miles.