Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lock Your Car Doors

Friendly reminder - lock your car doors.

It's the holiday season and lowlifes are out there trying to profit off of you. I woke up this morning to about 2" of fresh snow on the ground, as well as a fresh set of footprints up to the car doors of both mine and my wife's vehicles. The steps went back to the back of the house and then turned around and came back. I spoke with the cops about it and they said someone hit every single car in our community and the next development over. Thankfully both our cars were locked, so nothing was taken, but I think others weren't so fortunate.

2. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Thanks for the reminder, it is that time of year.

Have not had this but both my wife and I recently had people attempt to open credit cards in our names. Fortunately they were caught before being issues. Another reminder would be to freeze your credit if you are not planning to buy anything using it, and get some credit monitoring.
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

never used to lock the car up.A couple years ago a old neighbor in our community had someone open a car door and then hit the garage door opener ( don't know why he didn't hear the door open ) around 2 a m . Thankfully they never entered his home but they did walk out with a motorcycle which was later recovered. The world has changed and not necessarily for the better.

We've had several instances around here where subdivisions are getting hit. From what I understand they are bringing a van load of kids from St. Louis down and they will hit a subdivision, go through any unlocked cars and then go and hit up another subdivision. Many of them have been armed as well, there was at least one case where the homeowner was shot at when he confronted them. There have also been multiple police chases as well. I'm glad both of my vehicles are in the garage so I don't have to worry about it, but I have left my garage door opened a couple times. My neighbor and I watch out for each other now if our garage doors are open late at night.

5. Member
    I can't imagine not locking my car (or house) doors in 2019. What are people thinking?
    2001 Ranger R71
    Merc 125
    MinnKota 74# Maxxum
    Humminbird 999
    Humminbird 859

Girlfriend forgot to lock hers this fall and someone broke in and stole stuff. Luckily we were up to go fishing and saw the dome light on. After a little investigating I saw a suspicious car driving around the neighborhood, got in my rig, and followed him way out into BFE. Cops set up patrols and caught him as he came back into town. Guy had hit a ton of cars not just in our neighborhood and is looking at 4-5 counts of theft, shoplifting, and a few counts for drugs as well.
    06 Skeeter 20i Yamaha 250 HPDI
    Visit my Youtube Channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW6p06navSpOqUn3xotG2vA

7. Member
    I came out of the back of the Publix a few weeks ago just in time, some scumbag, or scumbags pried the lock cylinder out of my hard top over the bed of the truck.
    If I didn't come out when I did years of tools may have been gone. I say may, because other construction workers were in and out as well, so I don't know if that would have stopped them or not. I thought the Police officer would do finger printing. But just handed me a case number, and said they would make more rounds knowing we are working on the Publix store. Said someone from the apartment complex probably jumped the fence trying to get something. Stuff like that has happened 3 times to me while out fishing over the years, twice at Tenoroc Lake B. Good and bad and all walks of life.

Quote Originally Posted by TNRanger View Post
    I can't imagine not locking my car (or house) doors in 2019. What are people thinking?
    You are waaaaaay too close to Memphistikhan.
    I live on a mountain with only 3 ways up and down. We have had similar instances during the night where numerous vehicles were burglarized.
    I lock my car now and take my pistol in every night just in case. Just proves you’re not safe anywhere anymore.

What blows my mind is the number of cars stolen here in Chattanooga where the owner leaves it running to go inside a store for a minute and WOW!!!!!!! Their car is gone.
    You can lead a horticulture,
    but you can't make her think.

We head for South Ga. on Sunday to spend Christmas with our kids. We plan to stop over in Columbus for a night, and stay in really nice Hilton Garden Inn. They have security in the parking lot, and cameras everywhere, but that won't stop my wife from completely unloading the car, storing everything in our room, and then not leaving the premises until we head out for Richmond Hill the next morning. Guess who get's to repack that morning?
    Thieves looks for easy target. Best thing you can do is make yourself a hard target. Lock your vehicles, remove garage door openers in vehicles left at home when you travel. My neighbors always ask why I park my truck in the shop, and lock all the gates on my privacy fence. I tell them for two reasons. To deter thieves, and to keep neighbors from borrowing my tools while I'm gone.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

10. Member
    Lots of kids stealing cars in our area when they're warming up in driveways, they've found several at the high school abandon, kids taking them and diving to school, glad they didn't smash anything to get in the cars or worse!
    Cheese County Bass Club

Everyday there is a vehicle theft or a vehicle that has been ransacked in this town. The cops and the judges better start taking it seriously. I can see someone shooting a POS and being sentenced for cleaning up the community. I’m on a city crime watch site, this past year has been insane. Thieves smashing car windows for a few dimes or a phone charger.

Most vehicles set the horn off and lights flash if the doors are opened after you lock it with the remote and hit the key fob until the horn beeps.

Here’s a better tip don’t leave anything valuable in your car to get stolen. If the door is locked then they will just bust your window and steal your stuff.

13. Banned

14. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Always.
    Fisher 1710C - Mercury 60 Horse 4 stroke
    **Crappie Fishing Fool**

we always lock our car doors and the house up and everything of major value is in my big gun safe locked up that's in our bedroom.
    when we bought our new house earlier this month it does not have a garage on it so a Security camera system is high on the priority list as my boat will have to sit outside in front of the house under a cover.

16. Member
    In Cleveland, 168 juveniles,under the age of 13 have been arrested for breaking into vehicles, and high jacking cars, quite a few are armed. 68 are being charged as adults. I kept seeing this old pick up riding around the neighborhood last summer, people just thought he was collecting junk. And so did I. The second time I saw him he gave me the stink eye, my truck was in the garage and the door was closed. I waited a bit and followed him. This was around 10:00am, he backed up into a drive way and started pulling stuff out of his truck, like he supposed to be there. He walked around the back. I blocked the drive for a minute, then pulled in the drive way across the street. I watched him carry out a bag and put it in the front seat. He went back around the house and came out with big tv. Went back around again, I pulled in front of the drive, called 911,got out and stood in front of the drive. This guy actually thought I would believe his story about buying this stuff. Sheriff showed up, and pulled out his pistol. Told the guy to turn around and set down the game console. Had him lay on his stomach and cuffed him. Sheriff turned to me, and showed me the guys gun. I believe that I was just lucky. Won't be doing that again. You never know about people anymore.

17. Member
    We live in a pretty good neighborhood and it is kinda out of the way. But seems like around holidays people would find stuff missing from cars that were unlocked.
    Police officer that lives in neighborhood says he thinks it was one of the collage students doing it when coming home from school. Someone caught them on camera couple years ago. Turned out to be a visiting relative. She no longer visits.
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner16 View Post
    ? Told the guy to turn around and set down the game console. Had him lay on his stomach and cuffed him. Sheriff turned to me, and showed me the guys gun. I believe that I was just lucky. Won't be doing that again. You never know about people anymore.

Always assume anyone you confront is armed, Even kids. That doesn’t mean you hold them at gunpoint, but you better have it out of the leather and held out of view.

Juice, I am not pulling a car seat out of my daily driver, the wife has three car seats in her SUV. My son has A total of 6 car seats in 2 of his three vehicles..They aren’t cheap $150-$200 each. It is just a Daymn shame the majority of the judges in this country won’t step up and punish these dirtbags that steal to support their drug habits.

The judges keep preaching—- There isn’t enough space in prison to incarcerate all the scumbags. True, a public caning or lets start putting some stocks and locks back up on the town square. I’m not joking, the way this country is going the U.S. will look like one of the 3rd world countries most of us despise.
    Last edited by Bassman Ia.; 12-19-2019 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by juice780 View Post
    Here’s a better tip don’t leave anything valuable in your car to get stolen. If the door is locked then they will just bust your window and steal your stuff.
    BINGO !!!!!

20. Member
    Daughter had the window of her car smashed in with a paving stone last week. Almost wish she had left it unlocked. Idiot stole about $15 but cost me several hundred to repair.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast