Shimano scorpion dc problems

I have a like new reel but the gears sound terrible! I have cleaned with everything I know too clean with and greased. Noise was still there so I put oil on them instead, noise is still there. What do you guys recommend me do?

2. Member
    don't oil gears....ever. always use grease. What noise? Can you feel like gears or are they just loud in sound?

3. Member
    I can feel them grinding and I never oil them but I didn’t know what else to do

What did Shimano say when you called them? Brian.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bossman583 View Post
    I can feel them grinding and I never oil them but I didn’t know what else to do
    Used reel or brand new reel?

without touching it, it sounds your pinion/or main gear is likely done for or one of pinion bearings is shot. If it's used, buy a gear set or bearings. If it's a new reel, send it back.
    Last edited by iabass8; 12-17-2019 at 07:24 PM.

6. Member
    Sure it is not the cast control noise. The dc reels make some noise, at least mine do.

7. Member
    Alanhore: it is definitely the gear and on the digital control.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iabass8 View Post
    Used reel or brand new reel?

without touching it, it sounds your pinion/or main gear is likely done for or one of pinion bearings is shot. If it's used, buy a gear set or bearings. If it's a new reel, send it back.
    the reel is used, I bought it from a lady in Texas off of Facebook. Where is the best place to get parts?

I have a couple of slp zillions that came with a rough pinion. Need to order a pair of replacements from the 'trap

10. Member
    After testing all bearings the pinion bearing is rough, do I need to replace the gear too?

After testing all bearings the pinion bearing is rough, do I need to replace the gear too?
    You could send it to tackle trap. If you're gonna do it yourself , order a main gear , pinion gear , yoke and pinion bearing from the shimano website for a curado i. Make sure you get the right ratio.

https://fishshop.shimano.com/pages/curado

12. Member
    I would personally order a new gear set and new pinion bearings if you really like the reel. Gear sets do go bad and it’s nice to have a spare. However you can find just a pinion bearing for relatively cheap. I don’t know the size offhand without looking it up but if you email the tackle trap they can likely send you one

I would go thru this reel completely. I dont think it's a gear unless it was abused. Feel free to call if I can help.
    650 454 4938. Dan
    " Serious Service for the Serious Angler"

14. Banned
    The pinion bearings are very common on the I series reels. Easy fix.