Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Blazer VL100 The Forgotten Pocket Bass Boat

I guess it's time to start a thread on this boat. I posted pictures of it with the cap off the other day but it is getting a makeover. My other has sooo many Hooks & Rockers, even has a Rocker in the little Pad. They put Wedges too, really? Not needed especially 90HP and up. Boat pops out of the water. Blazer made this boat back in '95. I love my other but can't really enjoy knowing how it was built. I bought this one because the '95 interior I like better.

Transom has some soft spots so replacing while split.
    IMG_1261.JPGIMG_1262.JPGIMG_1266.JPGIMG_1268.JPGFull Picture 1.jpgFlotation removed.jpgAft Hull Skinning.jpgReason You Seal Undersides.jpgHull 2.jpg

You have more patience than I do!! Looking good!

3. Fishing is a Passion
    Keep the photos coming. Will be very rewarding when done
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

4. Member

Reinforcing Super Thin, Flexing, Hooking Area

Update on Progress, Still cutting good wood out of Transom. Termites were in foam and a small area of transom. I assume they entered where the inner skin was cut from washers but quickly moved to saturated foam. This boat was drying for a year in a hot area, out of any rain, how water was still present above the waterline is a testimony to keeping your hull as dry as possible. Both side flotation, transom reinforcement blocks had termites eating wet foam.

The manufacturing design left a water trap in the bow too, termites made it there so it was completely removed. Just a added note, although I remove all wood, I spray termiticide on all areas and let completely dry before re-foaming.

The aft hull skin is so thin I can deflect it 3/16in with my index finger alone. Since my other VL100 tries to shove the bow down in the water I am assuming a very dramatic hook is forming causing enough drag to keep my Prop slip 14% or higher. Reinforcement is difficult to add due to only 1in of clearance under floor. I hate laminating this time of year, having to add heat to finish curing. Another layer of 1708 will be added over foam blocks used to form reinforcement.

To improve the Spine, Transverse Rigidity, Compression Strength, and Transom support the new floor will be laminated on a laminating table then epoxied to all stringers when set into hull. This is to lock all stringers in place and add side support to the lower sides where the hull and sides meet.

All this work has to happen so I can flip hull over for blueprinting and Pad modifications. Also looking to add one more set of lifting strakes.

Something needs to be said here, Blazer as well as other manufacturers of these "Pocket" bass boats, had to keep the cost of the boat in a range the consumer was willing to pay. These boats didn't bring anything close to "Premium dollars" like the bigger boats, just the opposite. Please do not criticize a manufacturer when the consumer would not pay for "Top Shelf" quality.

Finished floor removal.jpgGrunge to be removed.jpgGround for reinforcement.jpgPost prep Acetone washed.jpg1708 prefit.jpg1708 Laminated with Reinforcement.jpgStill removing Transom Wood.jpg

5. Member
    Is the stringer wood wet also? Do you cap the boat then flip it? Have a biesemeyer I need to replace stringers, and blueprint myself. Trying to figure how to flip using my auto lift.

6. Member
    I replace stringers usually but on this boat I'm wrapping in one layer of 1708. The glass on the stringers is thick but is also chop. The added stiffeners you see now and in future posts are to shut down the flexing of the skin inward creating massive hooks. In my other VL100 you feel every ripple through the Hot Foot, the skin flexes easy outside the stringers. Not enough foam was sprayed in outside the stringers to contact the floor which was not waterproofed on the underside before stapling down. Looks like 1/4in plywood was used for the floor form to support a very thin layer of chop mat. The beneath floor area was fully foam filled trapping the water that ran through the floor drain wetting everything.

I always flip a boat with the cap off if possible. Now I don't pull a cap just to flip a boat. On this unit I will make a full contact jig to rest the boat floor on upside down. It will be upside down for a long time. I need to get it to that point so I can get back on my 171SC Champion. Plan is to work both boats to completion together. I have equipment to assist in flipping when needed. It is just a pain to flip the hulls over.

7. Member

Making Pattern for new Transom Core

Quick Update, I was able to finish removing all the old wood used as a transom Core. While grinding the outer skin I found a large "Holiday" in it. Low on the Starboard side resin was not fully infused into the outer skin. After grinding out all the loose fabric I will need to build up the low spot level with the rest of the skin. The new core will be a lamination of 2 layers of 1/2in Coosa Bluewater 26 and several layers of 1708 & Mat. Originally 3/4in to 1in plywood was the total core including the couple of laminations in between the layers. Maybe it was 3/8in plywood layers, can't be sure. I'm adding more transom bracing while doing the surgery. The pattern material I use is sold at Lowes for wall & floor protection at a construction site. It works great for making patterns. Here you see fitting the pattern so the core is slightly smaller all the way around. thickened epoxy resin using milled fibers will be troweled into all the void areas around the first core layer. When it hardens it will form a very tight fit of the core to the original fiberglass work.
    Patterning New Core.jpgTransom Prep.jpg

8. Member
    Nice

9. Member

Further Prep for Reinforcing Hull

Well My big shop is just too cold for a day of lamination work. Had to move the project to a heated work space. Laying out pattern on Coosa sheet is very straight forward. What is not is fitting the Core to the transom void. You need space between the core and old glass work to push the wet fabric into mixing it well with the thickened epoxy already troweled into every void with prejudice. Next there is a bevel in the transom, you must transfer the bevel to the replacement core so it lays fully flat against outer skin. All excess epoxy will be micromanaged and policed up so little grinding will be necessary to add second layer.

Included in this post are pictures of foam sheets sawed on a table saw to bevel so 1708 will conform better. These foam forms will be laminated over a layer of 1708 with two more layers of 1708. I'm having to work backwards from today's manufacturers. Here at best if over horse-powered is a high 50's MPH boat. Any more stiffening on the inside really gains me no benefit. The transverse bulkhead is rotten, poorly laminated, and very much needed. I will have to cut it out and replace after laminating the skin stiffeners. The hull was prepped with extra blocking under the Bulkhead to keep the boat hull from sagging outward when cutting is complete. I will be adding 2 recessed boxes to fit 2 PC925 Odyssey batteries forward. At 44lbs total weight I would like the space in the aft hatches over any gains in speed for having all the weight aft.
    Moved to Heated Space.jpgCore Layer 1 Clearance.jpgCaution Built In Bevel.jpgBevel Transfered to Core.jpgBevel in Reinforcement Core.jpgTable Sawed Reinforcement Filler.jpg
    Last edited by rojoguio; 11-28-2022 at 08:22 PM.

10. Member
    Will be better than new. They really slammed those things together. Lots of dry cloth and little attention to detail. Have you chosen a powerplant yet?

Nice work and progress. That's a lot of grinding.

12. Member
    I have a 90 Etec 3cyl with 7 years left on warranty. Since it is on the other VL100 my plan is to finish this unit, run with existing Etec to have a very accurate example of performance improvements. With fixing hull flex and blueprinting the performance tests with the same engine / Jackplate / Battery setup must be used for me to post an accurate report here. I have several 60deg 115's sitting on engine stands for after the testing is complete. A nice set of Gordon's Heads, some re-jetting, maybe timing change, on a fresh 60deg, should be Awesome for a 15ft boat. The 60deg's weight the exact same as 90 Etec.

Grinding Dust? Yesterday I spent the first 1/2 of the day with a house dryer blowing out one of the personnel doors while the 16ft door was all the way up allowing the north wind to blow into my shop. I used 150psi air pressure, blowing down all the walls, equipment, floor, other projects, etc a little at a time until all the dust was blown out the side door. It took till noon, 6hrs to get the excess fiberglass dust out.

I hear ya rojo. I spent most of Saturday vacuuming about 1/2” of dust from the top and sides of a paint booth and then a few hours yesterday grinding a little more on my boat. I couldn’t live without my shop vac. I tell everyone it’s my most important tool.

14. Member
    I vacuum constantly while grinding or you just move the cut stuff around.

Subscribed. . Pretty cool watching the progress of this restore, even though i would never try it myself. But have to tell you Rojo, you make it sound easy.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

16. Member
    Thats a lot of work and patience but once its done it will probably look great keep up the good work.

17. Member
    Planting & Grafting trees, will start laying up the areas prepped next week. Thanks.

18. Member

Working on Longtitutial Stiffeners & Battery Box

Well a little more forward progress. The center stringer was solid cypress but when they made the boat the hole saw that cut the drain cut right into the stringer. It always held water and although I had plans of leaving it there was only 1-1/2in of good wood left. Due to the layout of the battery box and hull reinforcement, maybe not needed but I run the rivers full of trees, (I'm wanting deflection not punch through) a custom center stringer will be laminated out of the boat then installed. The spine reinforcement foam was fitted at first then block sanded to help the 1708 conform. The battery box floor is 5/8in Coosa 26 I don't know if I will make sides. Another transverse stringer will be added at the back of the battery box then the stringer. A replacement transverse stringer will need to be added in the end of the floor area. The two Coosa Panels for the transom are cut and fitted. My deck drains arrived today. they came from China, investment cast stainless with 1-1/8in hose barb. No more water running into and onto the flotation. Well I wiped them with lots of alcohol. Paranoid I know. Anyway I am cutting and relaxing the reinforcement fabrics, we are looking at 70-75 degree highs Monday & Tuesday. The last picture is my homemade glass rack. It makes working the glass a lot easier.

Foam Flex Form 1.jpgFoam Flex Form 2.jpgRelaxing Glass for Lamination.jpgDual Odyssey 925 Box Layout.jpgHomemade Glass Rack.jpg

Looking good.... And nice setup you got there..

20. Member

Warmer Days, laying Glass

The temps let me get a little more glass work done. I'm not trying to make a race boat here but it needs to be stiff enough to hold it's shape. Storage is measured in ounces so I'm installing my trolling motor batteries in the forward box and adding essentials storage in the other box. Before covering the Pad molding in the floor with floated 5/8in Coosa 26 I laminated super heavyweight roving/mat combo to reinforce the skin and the bit of stringer left. Also cut out and replaced the transverse brace that was rotten aft while working. Since I had almost a full gallon of gray gelcoat leftover from another job I just used it to waterproof, another coat is still needed. Black Hatches will be used since they seem to hold up to foot traffic better than any other brand I installed in the past. The console will be crowding the aft box hatch location (almost right on top) so until the cap is swinging over the hull I won't be ordering hatches. I may end up with 2 smaller hatches in the back to make it work.

VL100 Floor Boxes 1.jpgVL100 Floor Boxes 2.jpgVL100 Floor Boxes 3.jpg

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast