Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    I got sick, and since the heat has been getting to me. No RONA' had a 240LTS to do some maintenance on and blew out my shop with compressed air before it arrived. Well I thought enough air was flowing through to keep the dust away so I didn't have my dust mask on. I was wrong. So a Z-Pack and 2 weeks later I got better. Since I have had a limit on the heat. I only fish in it not work in it. Looking forward to getting back on the project when it cools a little. Nice here this morning, but not now. Thanks for checking.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rojoguio View Post
    2 weeks later I got better.
    Glad to hear it, you're an inspiration to those of us running older boats.

1990 Ranger 362V Yamaha Pro-V 150
    Old Town Predator MinnKota

3. Member
    10-4, I have an older wife, older truck, older boat, etc. No one can say I'm prejudice against older, and seasoned, like the Electronics community says "Legacy Equipment".

Quote Originally Posted by bassboat1 View Post
    +1
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rojoguio View Post
    10-4, I have an older wife, older truck, older boat, etc. No one can say I'm prejudice against older, and seasoned, like the Electronics community says "Legacy Equipment".
    You better pray your wife doesn't read this post. You'll be in big trouble. She is to be referred to as more mature, not "older".

6. Member
    Well she saw it, a bit of a Cougar she is so no pressure on me. Thanks for looking out for me anyway.
    She is from Lancaster too, I used to call of Trop Gun Shop. Always enjoyed working your neck of the woods.

WOWWWW !!!! That thing is so coming together !! Can't wait to see some more pics ! Sure wish I lived closer so I could "Drop" by once in a while, LOL !!! Glad you're healed up again too !
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

Hope all is well rojoguio, sitting by waiting for more progress.......

9. Member
    No worries, waiting on a a/c hose for motorhome, should be here monday. It is still parked next to my boat in the shop. The console is the next in the crosshairs, it has to be completed, I'm even going to gelcoat it before installing so I only have to patch the seams. Black gelcoat is super easy to blend. My local engine machine shop owner passed. I want to build one of the 60deg 115's I have sitting in my shop for this project. They are 319#'s compared to the 358#'s of the Yamaha 115 I was going to install. Also since the seating is so tight I'm designing a cap modification so I can use a recessed control. The control boxes hit me in the side, I'm always bumping the trim switch with my knee. Takes a bit of brain matter and lately I've been burning all of mine on other people's jobs. I may have to go back to work to get a break.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassboat1 View Post
    +2 .. just read through the entire thread. EXTREMELY INFORMATIVE... Thanks fore the selflessness and the advanced technique tutorials.

11. Member
    Very, very cool project! I've been trying to keep up for inspiration....hehehe. I sure do feel your pain, and yours is a lot more involved than my lil project. I'm about finished with a complete redo of my 18' tin. Went great when it was cool and Covid had created plenty of time. Buuuuut, then it got hot, gotta' eat, and a bit of burn out set in. However, I'm one good day away of dealing with the tedious detail crap from done.

I'm sure looking forward to seeing your finished projects! 👍

12. Member
    thank you for your comments. I was ready to start working on it 2 weeks ago but all the hurricane threats has kept me hopping picking up boats out of the water, helping to evacuate equipment, boats, campers, etc out of the low lying areas my old customers use for fishing access. Now we just got our power back on 2 hrs ago from Zeta. I'm 14 miles inland east of Slidell, La., the eye came right over my house. We already had lost power so while in the "Eye" I pulled our power meter, hooked up my trusted generator, and got the lights back on. We carefully monitor for tornado activity on the tv while the storms pass over but no power, no tv. Anyway my generator burned up 30 minutes after energizing. Well the "Eye" was past, winds howling again, I had to rig up another generator to the house. A new unit that had a different 240VAC receptacle so I had to cut the end off a 50amp RV extension cord, hardwire it right into the lugs on my sub panel, crank up, warm up, and put online. Right when I finished the Dollar General sign blew across hwy 603 right to me hitting my shop building then resting against the wall on the ground.

for everyone who follows hurricane threats look at the storm forecast history for the gulf this year. I live in Kiln, MS. Brett Farve's hometown. Look at the projected path for almost every storm. The initial projections were right over our community. Well you have to take every threat seriously and this last one punched us right in the nose.

I picked up a used Outback Camper a month ago and have been going through it before bringing to Ross Barnett to stay. At least it was still here so we had it to stay in.

I hope to be back on the boat within the next 2 weeks, I have a brand new 5 gal pain of Vinylester and a new console to complete. Since I can only insure for a 1995 boat I've calculated out an additional 190#'s of positive flotation to ensure level, salvageable, flotation. I expect it to be a bit "Squirrelly" so if I do something stupid in it - it will be easy to recover.

2021 can't come soon enough!

13. Member
    Man, I sure understand, well sort of. I'm NW of you and we got hit by the Lake Charles storm, then 2 straight tropical storms. In fact, I'm heading to my hunting camp N of Natchitoches tomorrow to see if my camper has survived unscathed. However, what we've been through recently is obviously NOTHING compared to what you guys have endured.

I did experience having an 80ft oak fall through my house in a violent thunderstorm/tornado back in '08. We were out of our home for 17 months. I know you know what dealing with rebuilding, insurance is like. I REALLY feel for all you good folks down south on the coast who have been through hurricane hell this year.

But, in my case and in yours, houses, etc can be rebuilt, so it could have been so, so much worse.

Again, sure looking forward to seeing future pics of your projects. Total refurbs are quite the challenge.....😉 (I've done an F150, a camper, and now a bass boat so I have great respect....hehehe)
    Last edited by Slicefixer; 11-01-2020 at 10:18 PM.

14. Member

Out with the Side Console, hello CENTER Console.......

Time to knock the dust off this thread............Made some changes..................converting the boat to a center console.

The console is here, already made a trip to my windshield guy for the custom windshield. A nagging thought has had me by the short & curly's, Would the boat balance on the pad with such a narrow beam with me, 210#'s sitting all the way to one side of the boat? I really don't think that it would. Will it balance with all weight centerline? Absolutely. I'm installing a 115 setback 10 inches, Personally a center console was the only thing that made sense. I invite comments here, other's insights will be appreciated.

I have to close up the side console opening then I can install a 3 inch rigging tube in the floor before finishing the glass would in the bilge area.

15. Member
    Sounds like a good plan. How much room will you have on both sides to step around center console?

How far back will you bring the front deck?

I am trying to visualize the layout on a more narrow and shorter boat.

Will you limit boat to a single seat?

16. Member
    I bought this boat because it has a shorter deck than the one I have now. I kneel down on the floor to reach a jig pole under overhanging trees in the swamp here, crappie fishing. this is a 1995 model, my 1996 has a longer deck. I make seats from scratch and plan a seat with backrest in front of the console but fish 99.5% of the time by myself. The plan is to fabricate a flip up backrest and sit on the Livewell myself. With only a 68in beam no room for anything much.

Here are pictures from plugging the old console hole up earlier today. I used an old underdeck skin from the bow of a Champion. The hole was patterned first. Then the pattern is used to layout panel needed on the old glass. After cutting out it was grind prepped, screwed in place for fit, removed then buttered in with West systems thickened epoxy and screws. After curing I can continue with the repair.

Old Console Opening.jpgMaking Pattern for Filler.jpgOld Champion Deck Skin.jpgLaying Out Plug with Pattern.jpgFitting Plug.jpgThickened Epoxy used to Glue Plug over Opening.jpg
    Here are pictures of a flip style seat I made.
    Helm Seat Down.jpgHelm Seat folded.jpgHelm Seat up.jpg

17. Member
    Wow, that should be a killer design.

Thanks for sharing.

18. Member
    We stand in awe of your abilities.

I actually looked this thread up a couple weeks ago. Was wondering how the build was going. Looking good.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

There you are, nice to hear from you.... I'm digging the center console design.....

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast