Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
  1. Member

Pad Build Up

A quick update showing the build up of the Pad. The first shot shows the Stbd side edge. The 5 degree transition angle from the hull was maintained. The second shot shows just how much the original Pad was built up to maintain the Pad all the way back. The third shot you can see how straight the lines are, didn't start out that way. It is close enough now that after laminating a single layer of finish glass over everything and skimming once I can finish with Duratec VE Primer. It would need a couple of heavy coats, block sanding between coats to have it perfect. I am at a point of diminishing returns due to operating speeds the boat will run. Low 50's is anticipated. I don't plan on removing the 90 Etec once installed.

Pad Buildup 1.jpgPad Buildup 2.jpgPad Buildup 3.jpg

Just checking in on you............

3. Member
    My RV needed the entire tank level monitoring system replaced, I was planning on driving it to Ross Barnett Rez until our Gov Tate closed all state lakes. I'm over the limit on Crappie fishing the NIP tide, planted 30 more fruit trees here, had to go ring out a electrical short in the kitchen slideout on my Dentist's 5th Wheel fish camp, etc.............Everyone has a Honey Do for me while they are twiddling their collective thumbs. I have a tree crew working here Friday taking down a huge water oak looming over my shop plus 11 pine trees. A hurricane's north side wind would land it right across the roof. I can go on and on. I'm down to VE Priming the hull but my motorhome is parked right next to it. The rest of the parts are supposed to be here tomorrow.

Well, glad to see you're keeping busy. Perhaps too busy.....

5. Member
    Parts did arrive today for RV so VE Priming next week is very possible. Got a PM from someone close who may want to look at the work filling in the hooks before I cover it up. I have 80 grit for my Hutchins but need to get some 180 in for final air filing and block sanding the primer. Advanced Plastics still can't deliver gallons of Gelcoat to me only 5 gallon pails. I will end up with 2 gallons in the refrigerator if I buy 5 gallons. It's a little boat.

6. Member

Gelcoating soon.........Hatch lids too rough.............I hate Pinholes!

Moving again on the little boat. Although trying retirement too many old customers are having none of it! While doing a final pass on the bottom of the running surface with the 6ft straight edge I found a small hook was still right in the C/L of the keel. Well that just wouldn't do. Anyway built it up, did a final skim for pinholes, a little sanding, then VE Primer time. The hatches were next, can work on them in the A/C. Marked all the hinges for direction and location first then stripped off all hardware & carpet. You can see from the picture I may have had a few more years of service out of this carpet but I wanted SeaDek so the carpet got canned, Literally! A old school retro gelcoat job is on the horizon so Gray VE Primer is going on the static waterline down and white VE Primer on the rest. Will post another update after priming.

Final Pinhole Skimming.jpgWonderful Carpet.jpgNasty Hatches.jpg

7. Member

1st Primer Run Done

Well, super humid here. Inside a painter's suit very uncomfortable. Did the Acetone wash on whole hull first. Allowed to completely dry since I cut quite a bit of flake (creates pinholes). Only thinned the Duratec VE primer enough to spray through a 2.5mm HVLP gun. It never ceases to amaze me when you hit a hull with the first primer run how many pinholes show up. My opinion, this is not a step to skip. Filling all the pinholes with primer ensures a waterproof hull. Anyway a spray of Guide Coat will be used to ensure no pinholes are missed.

Pictures show 2 tone primer job. I mixed myself up some real old school Sea Foam, a real rich Sea Foam to boldly contrast the black bottom & rub rail. The white Duratec VE primer is to provide a white ground to ensure a very bright optically Sea Foam, people will see me coming a ways off. Black will be on the inside so the Sea Foam SeaDek pops.

You can see how straight the boat is now. Should get a big improvement on water quality at the prop. No so much aeration.

Also check out the "V" Blazer put in these little boats. My other runs a chop quite well, very comfortable on a windy day.

VE Primer1.jpgVE Primer2.jpgStraight Lines Now.jpgAwesome Entrance V.jpg

8. Member
    Looks awesome!!!
    90 Shadow 20' Mod V w/ 200 Merc - Total resto and loving it!
    Here's my build from cap-off to boat in the water.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=336645

Yes sir.... She's gonna run nice...

10. Member

Guide Coat.......Show all defects.

Avoiding Memorial Day traffic on the river, sprayed Guide Coat on the hull and sanded for gelcoat.

For those who do not know what guide coat is, in the custom painter's world guide coat is a Painter's Best Friend! It will show all imperfections, blemishes, defects, pinholes, or just sorry finish work. You spray it on like a really, really, bad paint job. Let is dry. Sand. All the problem spots contrast making them easy to see. Careful, it shows everything! An example is in one of the photos below. I hope Everyone has a Fantastic Memorial Day and Respect to All who have Served.

Guide Coat Applied.jpgGuide Coat.jpgGuide Coat Example.jpg

11. Member
    Managed to get the gelcoat sprayed today. It needs cut & polish. I had the black start spitting on the first run, curing in the gun super quick. Had to wash the gun between fill ups to maintain production.

2 Tone Gelcoat2.jpg2 Tone Gelcoat.jpg

Oh, that's looking good....
    Yup, panic mode kicks in when gel starts curing in the gun, been there a few times.

13. Member
    Thinking about a 1in Boot Strap. Maybe silver, needs to be the right silver or a light blue, something like the popular blue used on street rods.

Yeah, I can see a boot stripe. Maybe try a piece of tape first to see if you like it?

15. Member
    Great Idea! Thanks. Stripped the Cap last night. Cutting the console off to make a new one. I bought a Ranger Windshield from Great Lakes Skipper. It is taller, squared, with a side shield continuing down the outboard side. I'm so tall my knees are in the steering wheel and my Hot Foot needs to move forward for me to be comfortable. It hits the console before the stop now. I want to mount a Helix 10 & Echo 500C behind the windshield directly to the console. Also I would like the top of the console to be flat to put a few thing on I use a lot.

16. Member

The Making of Sausage, some just don't want to see it.

Well after sawing off the old console I am mocking up the new one. The pictures show how the pieces are sitting in place on wood blocks. It's high right now, had to walk away for a bit. I use finishing nails to tack the pieces of Coosa together. When done a butter of Talc & Vinylester resin will be filleted into all joints and allowed to cure. Afterwards all the edges get a radius before glassing everything in.

New Console 1.jpgNew Console 2.jpgNew Console 3.jpgOld Console.jpg

But the end product taste soo good.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

18. Member

Console Plug Finished

After a bit of "brain bending" a final plug has emerged. My old console had a sleeker look about it but none of the angles added anything to the function. No place in these boats can a built-in 3 tray tackle box be installed. The "Box" shape of the new console will let me move my Hot Foot 3in further away while still allowing the petal to hit the stop too. Also now I have a place for a 3 drawer built-in tackle box. Crappie fishing, the tackle box will be within reach while still seated in the casting seat. Currently I have small tackle boxes with the very essentials, 6 to be exact. They are rotated out as needed by color, size, jighead weights, etc. They store under the drivers seat within a special seat base I fabricated to raise my seat 3-1/2ins. Also while I'm fishing my 25qt fish box is right in front of the console. The new console will allow the cooler to be in a better position on the floor for me to spin around and drop the Crappie in. I'm not Mad at Crappie but it may be perceived that way by how I persue them. A tall wrap around windshield and flat dash area will let me mount my Helix 10 & Echo 500c behind the windshield without needing RAM Mounts. A small, thin, strip of Oak will be screwed to the dash to keep loose stuff from vibrating off. Another problem that was worked out was the steering wheel angle. My other VL100 I added tilt steering to move the wheel to a better angle for me. Well this plug face has the correct angle for the hydraulic helm to put the wheel in a better position for driving. Since Evinrude called it quits I'm installing a 115 Yamaha on this rig instead of moving the E-tec from my other boat to this one.

Console Plug 1.jpgConsole Plug 2.jpgConsole Plug 3.jpgConsole Plug w Windshield.jpg

19. Member
    Started to cut & polish on the hull. I added a Silver Metallic Stripe (Tape) to contrast both hull colors. Going to leave running surface sanded to 400 grit with longitudinal, blocked, scratches in place of a "Speed Coat".

Silver Boot Strap added.jpg

Oh, that looks good.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast