Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

BOAT DIFFIDENCE BETWEEN Z20 AND Z21

CAN ANYONE GIVE ME REASONS TO BUY A Z20 OVER Z21 OTHER THEN PRICE ?
    I FISH IN ROUGHER TYPE WATER AND ALWAYS LOOK TO GET THE LONGEST BOAT I CAN GET. THANKS MIKE

2. Member
    I kicked the idea of a Z19 and a Z20 around for awhile. I decided to go with the Z19 because i have a buddy that fishes lake Erie in a 19' Basscat and spent days on that lake and i have even been with him on some very rough water and had zero problems. The one day we went out the water was splashing over the break wall which he said was 4 to 6 waves i though maybe 6 to 8 but he has been up there for like 30 years so he knows more than I. I didn't see the need to spend the money for 50 more HP and 5 more gallons of gas when the Z19 would do what I think I would need. Personal opinion. Hope that helps. I do love my Z19 and happy with my choice. I will have to see if I am wrong when I finally get on Erie. Lol

3. Member
    Rougher water I've always been told you can't beat length. So the 21 there. If you want to get there first I would suggest the Z20. I've had my 20 out 3 times so far and am impressed with the top end along with the ride in rougher water.

4. Member
    Do you have any chine walk?

5. Member
    Around 72 yes I do. This is my first boat capable of these speeds so I will learn to drive it. Its 100% non touched yet meaning no jack plate adjustments yet at all. Slightly back heavy as well with the 10 ft talons in the back

6. Member
    I have a 2019 Z19 and mine will walk somewhere in around 62. I have made it around 66.4 with some walking but i am new with walking. So i just need more seat time. I have not done anything to mine yet and i spoke to a dealer in Alabama which i figured was more familiar with that than here in Pa. They told me with the RPM's that i am running i shouldn't do anything to it just need seat time.

7. Member
    That sounds right. Apparently theres an art to driving around it and I need seat time as well

8. Member
    storage in the 21 is key for me. I use the 2 smaller boxes on the deck like big day boxes. 1 all plastics and terminal tackle the other planos with hard baits and more terminal tackle. Never been a fan of 1 big box. I see 70mph at times zero chime walk, huge front deck!

Differences between the 20 and 21 is a "standard " hull on the 21 and a "NVT" parabolic strakes. I currently have a z8 and am afraid for the amount of trailering and launching I do that the square bunk boards on a constantly curving hull won't last long. There are a couple reports of excessive wear on the hull of 20's. Only a couple most people are more than fine but to me I will take the standard 21'hull
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

21s will ride better in the rough water. I think there is a carpet difference, nvt hull on the z20. Dash pad diffs.

From what I hear Z20 is about 2mph faster. I see 72 regularly in my 21.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

I currently have a z8 and am afraid for the amount of trailering and launching I do that the square bunk boards on a constantly curving hull won't last long. There are a couple reports of excessive wear on the hull of 20's.
    The bunks on the 2019 Z20 trailer are curved. So that problem has been resolved.
    My Z20 has been an awesome rig, fits in a 25ft garage and goes plenty fast for me.. 74 with 2 - 10 ft talons installed.
    But as you know, all the big pros run the Z21... A better option for Big water..
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

12. Member
    I went from a 16 Z20 to a 19 Z21 with the 4s. I loved my 20 but the 21 rides so much better in big water and is faster than my 20 was. I wouldn't even consider going back. The 21 will float just as shallow and is the best boat I have ever run. I have ran about every brand and couldn't be happier with mine.

13. Member
    I went through a similar debate. 90% of my time on St. Clair and it can get nasty for it's size. We have the Z20 and love the big deck and other features. We were also told Z21 for big water but we did/do just fine. There aren't too many days where you can hammer down and zig zag at top speed.

When the elites were here for AOY I took a demo ride in the 21 and frankly did't see or feel much of a difference. It was terrible weather so a perfect test but we are NOT beating the equipment up like they would and don't need to be first to any one spot....there are plenty of em on that lake.

14. Member
    I've had both and to me, wasn't much difference in rough water, especially since the Z20 changed hulls in 19. Much smoother ride now. Biggest difference is in the front storage compartment layout. I just ordered another Z20 yesterday.

15. Member
    Thanks to all input !

16. Member
    I looked at both before I bought my Z21. The deciding factor for me was all the standard features on the Z21, that you have to pay extra for, or in some cases like the nicer carpet, couldn't even get on the Z20.
    '17 Nitro Z21, 250ProXS serial # 2B399616, 24p Fury4, 12" Atlas, Apex 16 @ console, Apex 16 & Apex 13 @ bow, Mega 360, Ultrex, 8ft blades

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TXZ21 View Post
    I looked at both before I bought my Z21. The deciding factor for me was all the standard features on the Z21, that you have to pay extra for, or in some cases like the nicer carpet, couldn't even get on the Z20.
    This aside from the obvious length reasons. Carpet, Winch, Trailer Jack etc etc all the little things that can add up are upgraded on the 21 stock. I also prefer the storage layout of the Z21/Z9 over the Z20/Z8 styles.

Helix 10 and 9 on Z20 vs Solix 12 and 10 on the 21 w/pro package
    Last edited by MarkyMarc; 12-26-2019 at 07:35 PM.

19. Member

Z21 NVT Hull?

Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    Differences between the 20 and 21 is a "standard " hull on the 21 and a "NVT" parabolic strakes. I currently have a z8 and am afraid for the amount of trailering and launching I do that the square bunk boards on a constantly curving hull won't last long. There are a couple reports of excessive wear on the hull of 20's. Only a couple most people are more than fine but to me I will take the standard 21'hull
    I am considering ordering a Z20 or Z21, page 5 of the 2020 catalog I picked up at Bass Pro states the Z21 does have the NVT hull?

Also does anyone know if any dealers will negotiate off the no haggle price? Maybe Pros Choice?

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RGK456 View Post
    I am considering ordering a Z20 or Z21, page 5 of the 2020 catalog I picked up at Bass Pro states the Z21 does have the NVT hull?

Also does anyone know if any dealers will negotiate off the no haggle price? Maybe Pros Choice?
    I would double check that info if NVT is something you want. I do not believe it's true that they added it to the Z21 for 2020.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast