Progressive Dumped Me!?!

I just found out that Progressive won't renew my insurance policy that I have had for probably 12 years. Apparently, I have "had 2 or more claims in the last 36 months". Twice I have hit an underwater objects at idle speed, one was an unmarked dredge pipe and the other was a rock on Lake Garcia, FL near the fence rows and had the lower unit replaced. It upsets me because isn't that one of the reason you get insurance for a boat, "underwater hazards? Also, I never had any warning from an agent or adjuster saying if I file the claim, I could potentially lose coverage. I may have tried to take care of it myself.

So, I find myself in need of insurance for my Ranger Z520C and wanted to hear what others recommend or what kind of experiences you all have had? Thank you in advance!!

2. Member
    Sounds typical of insurance companies. They will take your money year after year. When you want some money back they dump you. Bob from Worldwide should be able to put you with a different insurance company. You may at higher risk but for the right amount of cash you can get insurance.

3. Member
    I just had a total loss due to a fire with progressive. Everything went pretty smooth. Just took right at a month. Had an agreed value policy for 60,000. In process of buying a 2019 Ranger 520L. Hopefully they will insure my new boat.

State Farm has been good to me
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Not even remotely surprising. Carry the highest deductible you can. Carrying insurance to cover things you can afford to pay for is a poor financial decision. Even if you go to a new insurer, you will pay more because of your claims.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

6. BBC SPONSOR
    John, You will be fine . Merry Christmas

7. Iowa/Wisconsin/Hunting & Gun Lodge/Stroker Moderator Wags's Avatar
    Foremost just raised my rates $238 for next year on my boat, no claim was told all Bass Boat insurance by Foremost has gone up. The agent is looking for a new company for me now, hoping it works out.
    LeaLea

8. BBC SPONSOR
    I have been able to help a lot of the members to better understand Marine Insurance that is all we do. Feel l free to give us a call after Christmas and we can go over your needs. Thank you 517-627-8080

Quote Originally Posted by John Sanner View Post
    I just had a total loss due to a fire with progressive. Everything went pretty smooth. Just took right at a month. Had an agreed value policy for 60,000. In process of buying a 2019 Ranger 520L. Hopefully they will insure my new boat.
    Several years ago we had a pontoon with Progressive that was insured for "agreed value". It was destroyed when a tornado hit the marina where it was docked. Progressive wrote me a check within 10 days for the amount. Honestly, the boat was worth about 10,000 less than it was insured for but I wanted replacement insurance. Never a problem or issue with the coverage and settlement.