Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quillback View Post
    Rocky points have been working well for me too. Ned rig should work all the way through the spawn. Mid February through pre-spawn it can really get good. Once the water gets warm, I start throwing other stuff mainly because I get tired of fishing the Ned after fishing it all through the cold months.

I have a milk run set up on the part of Table Rock I fish, been fishing the ned in those spots for several years now and the fish will pretty much be holding on those spots every winter. I would definitely put those 2 points you mention on my run.
    Good info Jeff. Thanks!

2. Member
    Nice fish, those are "real" chunks. You guys on Bull Shoals and The Rock, I have a question for ya, if you care to share an opinion. Do you think there is a state record Smallie swimming in either lake right now ? Since I'm "stuck" (ha) down here in south Texas for the winters, and left the boat at home in Missouri, In between golf rounds I've been researching small mouth bass. The state records from Texas to Alabama (excluding) Mo., have been caught between 34.5 and 36.5 degrees north latitude ( in Ark, that would be basically from Little Rock to Branson ). That seems to be the "sweet area" where temps and growing season are best for smallies.

Hard to say, you'd think there'd be a smallmouth over the state record of 7 lbs. 2 oz in one of those lakes. Biggest SM I have ever caught in TR was 4 lbs. Had a friend text me a picture of a smallmouth that one of his friends caught a month ago that supposedly was 5 lbs. 14 oz. from TR. It was certainly a big smallie, but I can't confirm the weight. Caught on a jig BTW.

4. Member
    There are a lot of SMB in Bull Shoals lake. During one period last year, all I caught for several weeks in a row were SMB. No LMB or Spots. Maybe it was the locations I was fishing, the pattern I was working or the baits I was using. Biggest was around 4#. I was worried they were taking over the lake to the detriment of the other bass species. But, as it turns out, that wasn't the case.

Biggest SMB that I know of that was caught in 2019 was a 5# fish caught by an angler pre-fishing for a tournament this summer. Guess I'd be quite surprised if the current record on Bull was broken. Pickwick lake is another possibility.

5. Member
    Thanks for your thoughts. Yea, I fished Bull Shoals quite a bit back in the spring of 2014, mid lake area, and the lake was just lousy with short smallies, 10" to 12". Haven't fished Bull at all the last 2years, but I love it down there, same with Table Rock. I've heard of a 5lber or 2 from Bull, and saw a pic from TR last summer on OAnglers that looked to be a strong 5+ lber, tho that fish looked to be skinny. A 7lb 2 oz for Mo. , or a 7lb 5oz for Ark. smallmouth doesn't look completely out of the realm of possible, the way a 14lb LM would be for MO.

Over on Ozark Anglers a guy reported catching a Kentuck that was 4 lbs. and change.

I appreciate hearing your experiences and knowledge of Bull Shoals and Table Rock Lake. I love fishing both of them, but don't get to do it enough to feel comfortable or have confidence to catch fish on a weeks trip. I guess the clear water can be a little intimidating to a rookie. Anyway, thanks to all of you for sharing, I really appreciate anything you have to say.

2015 Ranger Z119c / 2015 Merc 225 Pro X​S

8. Member

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RngrBill View Post
    I appreciate hearing your experiences and knowledge of Bull Shoals and Table Rock Lake. I love fishing both of them, but don't get to do it enough to feel comfortable or have confidence to catch fish on a weeks trip. I guess the clear water can be a little intimidating to a rookie. Anyway, thanks to all of you for sharing, I really appreciate anything you have to say.
    Water isn't near as clear as it was years ago, picking up a nice green tint most oft the time. It used to be really blue in the winter.

10. Member
    Nice Smallie and Spot. Those are chunks. Both look good and healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownTrout View Post
    3#, 14 oz Smallmouth and 3.5# Spot.
    21A1C08F-6FD7-4D5A-A3C2-B7076D8E8AB5.jpeg
    Very nice!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12