Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Garmin Force Trolling Motor Software Update

I just installed the Garmin Force trolling motor on my 2001 Champion 187. When I power on my Garmin system that includes the 1242xsv, 1022xsv, GCV20 UHD Sonar, and LiveScope I show that I have a software update for the newly installed Force Trolling motor. I initiate the install it goes to 100% and then the Restart appears on the the 1242xsv (network host), but down below it shows Error. When I initiate the update the trolling motor status light goes red. I am using Active Captain for updating. Any guidance would be great.

IMG_2493.jpgIMG_2494.jpgIMG_2496.jpg

To update the Force:

Connect ActiveCaptain to trolling motor (use the remote to set Wi-Fi to “ActiveCaptain” and make up name and password (Menu > Settings > Trolling Motor > Wi-Fi))
    Connect ActiveCaptain to the web and download the update (will be v2.30 for trolling motor)
    Connect ActiveCaptain back to the trolling motor. The update should push automatically to the trolling motor. This could take up to 30min.
    Once the update is finished pushing from the phone, reboot the trolling motor. Approximately 30 seconds after reboot the speed lights should start alternatively blinking. This means the trolling motor is updating.
    Once the trolling motor has completed updating, ensure the remote is on and connected. When it detects the remote needs to be updated, the trolling motor will start blinking its speed lights again, and the remote will show a 30 second countdown. At the end of the countdown the remote will reboot and show a gear icon, indicating it is updating. The update on the remote will take ~5min. If the update was successful the remote will be on v2.20.
    Garmin Pro Team

3. Member
    Todd thank you that worked perfectly. I didn't realize you had to setup a network between ActiveCaptin and the Trolling motor. I was trying to do it through the chart plotters. Thanks again!

4. Member
    Can someone help post your software versions after the update? Need to turn on TM and read them in the remote (menus—About, then page up/down).

Remote Control
    Software version :
    Loader Version :
    Radio Version:

Trolling motor:
    Software Version:
    Firmware Version :
    Product String Force Software Version:

My AC keeps telling me there’s a software update, but when I am to do it again, it says it’s the latest.

Thanks !

5. Member
    I think that its a problem with active captain. My AC showed an update but when i went to update i was running the latest version. I think AC forgets that it has already updated the TM.

Quote Originally Posted by BassTracker175 View Post
    Can someone help post your software versions after the update? Need to turn on TM and read them in the remote (menus—About, then page up/down).

Remote Control
    Software version :
    Loader Version :
    Radio Version:

Trolling motor:
    Software Version:
    Firmware Version :

My AC keeps telling me there’s a software update, but when I am to do it again, it says it’s the latest.

Thanks !

6. Member
    My AC behaved the same, but Garmin updated AC server database (that AC inquiries) yesterday, so since yesterday, AC shows there’s no update now.

Could you please help post your versions?

Quote Originally Posted by cbachman View Post
    I think that its a problem with active captain. My AC showed an update but when i went to update i was running the latest version. I think AC forgets that it has already updated the TM.
    Last edited by BassTracker175; 01-06-2020 at 01:00 PM.

Remote Control
    Software version :
    Loader Version :
    Radio Version:

Trolling motor:
    Software Version:
    Firmware Version :

Thanks !
    Remote Control
    Software version : 2.20
    Loader Version : 2.20
    Radio Version: 6.0.0

Trolling motor:
    Software Version: 2.30
    Firmware Version : 2.20
    Garmin Pro Team

8. Member
    Thanks Todd! We have the same. Seems to be an AC issue which they are fixing or have fixed.

9. Member
    I'm going to start installing the force trolling motor tomorrow. I have read the directions seems to be easy enough has anyone have any issues that I might run into

10. Member
    I was told there was a new update within the last week and half for the force. That’s from garmin customer support. I still show the 2.30. Wish I could go to their site and it would show what current updates are available.

11. Member
    Their website for TM support is still under development, LOL.

I was told that the TM update process was also changed back and forth.

Quote Originally Posted by Outofsightpdr View Post
    I was told there was a new update within the last week and half for the force. That’s from garmin customer support. I still show the 2.30. Wish I could go to their site and it would show what current updates are available.

12. Member
    wow,,,finally got update....now what does it do?

13. Member
    Todd, do you know when the next release is coming? We do expect the anchor performance to get improved (without so many unnecessary movements). Thanks!

14. Member
    Todd, do you know when the next release is coming? We do expect the anchor performance to get improved (without so many unnecessary movements). Thanks!
    I sure am interested in getting a response to BassTracker175's question as well. Anybody know if Garmin is working on a fix for this problem?

15. Member
    V2.4 is out on AC.

But I have a hard time finding what’s fixed in the update. Anyone knows?

V2.4 is out on AC.

But I have a hard time finding what’s fixed in the update. Anyone knows?
    Garmin will get this info on the website. Here are the changes with 2.40:

1. Added the ability to set the navigation arrival mode as anchor lock or manual. Defaulted to anchor lock.

2. Added a blinking red battery light when the battery is critically low.

3. Reduced foot pedal activity light brightness.

4. Improved foot pedal steering algorithms for easier boat control.

5. Increased remote and foot pedal range during initial pairing.

6. Added a warning message for when the propeller is blocked, and improved the recovery mechanism.
    Garmin Pro Team

17. Member
    Thank you Todd!

Just updated all my Garmin devices. The TM update has updates for the remote and the pedal as well.

18. Member

Saving Password

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Driscoll View Post
    To update the Force:

Connect ActiveCaptain to trolling motor (use the remote to set Wi-Fi to “ActiveCaptain” and make up name and password (Menu > Settings > Trolling Motor > Wi-Fi))
    Connect ActiveCaptain to the web and download the update (will be v2.30 for trolling motor)
    Connect ActiveCaptain back to the trolling motor. The update should push automatically to the trolling motor. This could take up to 30min.
    Once the update is finished pushing from the phone, reboot the trolling motor. Approximately 30 seconds after reboot the speed lights should start alternatively blinking. This means the trolling motor is updating.
    Once the trolling motor has completed updating, ensure the remote is on and connected. When it detects the remote needs to be updated, the trolling motor will start blinking its speed lights again, and the remote will show a 30 second countdown. At the end of the countdown the remote will reboot and show a gear icon, indicating it is updating. The update on the remote will take ~5min. If the update was successful the remote will be on v2.20.
    I struggled through yesterday to get my Force updated. I had no problems with saving the user name by entering the check mark during creation of the WIFI, however, no matter how many times I tried, I could not get the Password to save. I even tried to save it by hitting the left arrow where it asked if I wanted to save and I indicated yes. I would go back to check the password there was no Review option, only edit. I suspect that the password was being stored but for security reasons could not be displayed. The Garmin documentation is really bad on this topic.

Following have a new Force to be installed tomorrow. I guess I need to do more research about updates and how to use AC to update. I have not updated my 106sv with new updates either only had the Livescope setup for a couple of months.

20. Member
    Has anyone had an issue which losing power during update and then the update says it is complete but can’t calibrate and the display don’t light up on trolling motor?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast