Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

crank bait fishing

Do not do alot of crank bait fishing. Want to start. Any help with rod suggestions would be creatly appreciated. tks

Medium 6.6 - 7 foot rod (whether regular or designated Crankbait I use both with no real difference to me) rod that feels the best to you you don’t have to buy an expensive one, a reel with 6.2 or less, 10-12 pound line of your choice. Simple selection of Crankbaits, square bills, few medium range (7-10 foot), maybe something in a 9-12’ range colors in Shad, chartreuse and craw patterns along with a red one in three sizes will start you off fine. Don’t get caught up in hype of brands just ask a few people what works best in your area. You don’t have to have a lot of baits to start.

Depends on shallow, mid range or deep cranks. Shallow I like a 7' ish MH with fast tip and use 15lb fluoro, mid range I like a 7'-7' 2" medium with fast tip and use 12lb fluoro. I use 8' blend of graphite/glass for deep cranks with 12lb fluoro or mono. Personally I am not a fan of all glass rods and I dislike whippy crankbait rods especially on shallow cranks. You can get by with a 6.3 or 6.4 reel on any of them. I use same setup for lipless cranks as I do shallow cranks.

Adjust one or all the above based on cover, size of fish etc.

4. Banned
    You can get some great crankbaits rods for around $100 or less. I crankbaits Fish ALOT! I always have at least 2 tied on at all times. I own a couple Dobyns Fury 705CB’s that I love, and the BPS Crankin Stick is a great choice for under $100. I suggest the MH power in their crankin stick model. The medium power is waaay too whimpy. Those 2 rods will do fine for cranks from 1 ft- 10 ft divers. I use a pair of Dobyns 764CB’s for deeper cranks.

5. Member
    tks for all the help and quick response

Glass rods with a fast tip are the perfect setup from what I’ve found.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

Ok first if you haven’t cranked a lot, don’t even think about deep off shore now. Stay with the 0-10 foot range for now. 7 foot medium hvy rod with a good parobolic bend to it. 12 to 15 pound line with a reel speed you like. Baits: Bomber 6A RapalaDT6 Academy H2O square bill. Get you a few colors of these tie them on and throw them everywhere. Don’t be afraid to get them hung. With a good plug knocker you won’t lose many. Also keep a spinning rod with a #6 Shad Rap on. Do this and you will catch fish then we’ll all help with in depth stuff
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

8. Member
    Fenwick lunkerstik is a great starter crankbait rod line. I have one and I love it. Plus it was only 70 bucks

9. Member
    I think crank bait fishing is what ever you get used to, here are my setups.
    Square bill setups
    Light cover and rip rap banks 7 ft. composite rod Medium action with Moderate tip 12lbs. fluoro.
    Heavy cover 7 ft. composite rod Medium heavy action Moderate tip 17lbs. fluoro
    Medium diver DT6-DT10 7'-2" composite rod Medium action Moderate tip 10lbs. Fluoro.
    Deep crankin 5XD-6XD 7'-10" composite rod Medium heavy action Moderate tip 12lbs. Fluoro.
    " " 8XD-10XD 7'-10" composite rod Medium heavy action moderate tip 15lbs. Fluoro.
    all rods have 5:1:1 or 6:4:1 reels
    One thing that you will need to learn is how to play the fish after you get hooked up.
    Mike
    2019 Phoenix 721 pro xp

Mercury 250 pro xs
    2B575862

10. Member
    +1 on the fenwick lunkerstick --- get the 6'8" or the 7'3" ---will handle anything you need to do. Great crankbait rod, just used mine all day long 3 days ago. I have the 7'3" mh . Caught both largies and smallmouths with it.
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

11. Member
    The Hank Parker lews at wal mart
    for $40 is a pretty nice crankbait
    rod.Handles 300 poes to 5xds
    very well.It probably could handle
    a 6xd but I use the 7 10 bps for
    the bigger stuff.Also that lews
    makes a good jerkbait or top water
    rod.

7’ MM Crankbait rod for squarebills, or cranks down to 6’ - 6.4:1 reel
    7’ MHM Crankbait rod 6’ down to 12’ - 5.4:1 reel
    7’+ rods for deeper cranks with a 5.4:1 reel
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

St Croix Premier crank bait rods are really good for around the $100 or so mark. The BPS cranking sticks are okay for a lower price point, as mentioned above.

Basscat Eyra
    Mercury 250 ProXS

14. Member
    7' MH Bass Pro Crankin' stick is what I use. Great for the shallow lakes around here.

Kind of depends on how deep you are planning to fish. I fish most of mine with two bps cranking sticks, one is medium the other medium heavy. Square bills are fished on a graphite medium rod most of the time, as do most of my balsa baits.

Baits that dive about 8ft get the medium as do bandit 300's. Heavier deep divers I use the medium heavy. Both of the bps rods have plenty of give to them.

If I was buying new I'd probably get st croix premier crankbait rods.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

16. Member
    Whatever you do, I would use some small diameter strong braided line. It’ll allow you to get the crank bait deeper and also allow you to remove it when you are hung up. I have straightened out hooks on crank baits before the braided line breaks. Crank baits get expensive...JMHO.

17. Member
    If you’re just getting started I’d get a 7’ medium or medium/heavy moderate action rod and a 6:1 reel with #12 fluorocarbon. This setup can handle anything from wake baits down to the 12’ range

18. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I only crank down to the 10’ range and 95% are Little Johns (7’ med/mod 6.3 reel, 40lb braid) or squarebills (7’ med/fast, 6.8 reel, 12lb mono).

The BPS Pro Qualifier 2 combo is (7’ med/fast, 6.8) is a great combo that goes on sale this time of year and it’s my squarebill rod and one for my topwater rod (7.5 reel). I’ll never change my topwater combo!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Can't go wrong with a couple of Ugly Stik's. Only 40 bucks each.
    Maybe a 6'6 or 7' medium and a 6'6 to 7' medium heavy
    Why do people fish, some say people fish to get fish, this is obviously false

20. Member
    tks again for all the help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast