Mercury Promax 225 Battery

What is the correct battery size and type for a 2000 Mercury Promax 225, two hummingbird helix graphs, and live well pumps?
    s/n: OT105232
    model: 225 L TM
    It's so confusing compared to automotive batteries. There seems to be different opinions between wet cell, deep cell, agm, etc. I just want to get the correct battery. The boat is currently running wet cell but it had no electronics when I bought it. I have added electronics so batteries may need to be upgraded.

2. Member
    Everything I’ve read here has said to stay with a wet cell battery for the Promax due to the Stator it has...or rather should have. I’m not an expert, but something about the way the AGM or Lithium charges is no bueno for the Promax stator. I would enjoy reading more about the technical issues associated with a Promax and AGM batteries as I’m in the same boat as you (20XD and 225 Promax). Staying tuned for the experts.
    Last edited by eh2000; 12-14-2019 at 03:30 PM.

3. Member
    ^^^^ +1 yep
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Traditional wet-cell CRANKING battery. For a fishing application- recommend at least 800 CCA.

Don't use Deep Cycle, AGM, Gel, Maintenance Free, or Lithium Batteries with these Stator type charging systems, and the charge rate requirements (and duty/demand cycles) of many of these batteries can overload or over-tax the capabilities of the charging system, resulting in excessive heat, damage to components, burnt components, and in severe cases, something that "Smokey the Bear did NOT refer to as a "Minor Thermal Event" occurring".

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Thank you for the help and guidance.

6. Member
    Are there any particular battery brand/size/model recommendations that has proven to be good batteries?

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    For this purpose, I'm not overly worried about any particular brand or model. Just the correct TYPE of battery, with adequate capacity (most any supplier should be able to get you a 24M wet-cell Cranking battery that comes out at 800 CCA).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    I used this one from o'Reilly's for the past two years but I do not have multiple large graphs running. So far no complaints. It is a group 27.
    https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/marine-4990/battery-accessories-16452/deep-cycle---marine-batteries-17354/220f7dcd7121/super-start-marine-group-size-27-top-post-battery/27ms/4742402?pos=16

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Remember- no deep cycle batteries with this Charging System type.

10. Member
    Thanks again for your help. My local battery store recommended a commercial (wet cell) size/heavy duty battery to have enough reserve capacity to run graphs and cranking. He indicated based on experience these are the only ones that will hold up. He recommended Interstate 31MHD. Do you see any issues with this size battery?

11. Member
    My customers have good luck with interstate wet ...

Jay
    JSRE
    www.jaysmithracingengines.com
    832 597 2603 cst

What happened to the stator questions? Did those get moved to another thread or just deleted? I was interested in that.
    1995 Allison XB-2003 225 Super Mag. It's slow and I'm ok with that.

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet02 View Post
    What happened to the stator questions? Did those get moved to another thread or just deleted? I was interested in that.
    Those will be in a separate thread (poster will open a separate thread for that discussion so it does not de-rail this topic).