Entering coordinates on an 1198

Bought the 1198 used, so no owners manual.
    Navionics app on my i phone, I locate a spot Id like to fish, can I manually enter the
    coordinates into the 1198, then set a waypoint?
    Thx
    Hopefully I can can learn how to use it to its full potential, before it gets so obsolete
    that no one can give me instruction.
    Thx

You can download the manual, BUT there have been so many changes since the manual was writing, a lot of the menu items are different.

The quickest way on the water is to push the Mark button, then go to the Chart View, move the map curser to that waypoint, push Menu button and edit that waypoint with the co-ordinate numbers you have on your smart device.
    If the unit's co-ordinate format does not match the smart device's format, change the unit's format to match it, that is done in the Setup menu.
    There are three formats:
    DD.DDDDD which is Degrees, Decimal Degrees
    DD.MM.MMMM which is Degrees, Minutes, Decimal Minutes
    DD MM SS.SS which is Degrees, Minutes, Seconds, Decimal Seconds, you may not have the decimal seconds at the end-- makes no difference.

And the number of digits past a decimal can be different than my examples, just enter the numbers you have.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Position Format setting under Setup Menu with Advanced Users setting allows the 3 format settings allowed. Can also use Humminbird PC to create them and export to a SD card for importing them to the 1198. Obsolete is a little better term than "old" since I still use a 998 and have a 1198...LOL If you look at the manual in the below link, you will find it doesn't really explain a good answer to your question as Wayne indicated. The same holds true even with manuals for newer units. Hopefully, a little time using the unit on or off water will be of more use to you.

https://www.manualslib.com/h/humminb...+si+combo.html
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

4. Member
    You mentioned using your iPhone Navionics app for your waypoints. There is an easier way without having to input anything. Just mark all the spots you want with your Navionics app. Navionics calls them "Markers". Once you have marked everything, go to "Menu" then "Markers", then "Select" at the top right corner, then select the "Markers" you want to transfer to your 1198, Click the "Box with Up Arrow" bottom left corner then choose "Export GPX File", then choose "Mail", then email the file to yourself. Then you can load that file into HumminbirdPC. You will get an error message due to slight format differences between Navionics and Humminbird. It will still work though. I don't like getting error messages so I take an extra step before opening it in HumminbirdPC, which takes about 10 seconds. You open the Navionics GPX file in EasyGPS which is a free software. As soon as you open the Navionics GPX file in EasyGPS, you can either "Re-save" the file by choosing "File" then "Save" or you can "Rename" the file by choosing "File" then "Save As" and choosing another name. This saves the file in a format more compatible with HumminbirdPC. Now, run this file through HumminbirdPC and upload that file to a memory card. You can change any symbols if you want before uploading it to your memory card. It's super easy and saves a ton of time not having to manually input coordinates.
    If your on the water like Wayne said, it is best to use the method he described.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

5. Member
    Thanks for the info!