Looking for a diagnostic tool

I have a 2001 mercury optimax 225 two stroke engine. The serial number is 0t305247. It has a mercury smart craft display. The smart craft gauge is good at pointing me in the right direction when a problem arises, but I would like to have a diagnostic tool for more detailed information. Am I wrong to assume that an 18 year old diagnostic tool can be purchased cheap? Is eBay and amazon the best place to look?

2. Member
    You might try Rhinda. They have a decent diagnostic set-up that can be used at the motor on a laptop.

3. Member
    They are not cheap.......they show up on e-bay - but software is also getting hard to find. Most Dealers use software that is laptop based....Dealer only....Rhinda does have some software but it is not cheap.

4. Member
    DDT getting scarce ^^^^^^ +1
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Something else to consider about the DDT is that is was last updated (and discontinued) in 2006. If you plan to invest in something... probably wise to consider something that will be updated in the future (rather than something that outdated over a decade ago).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor