Thread: Toyota Tundra

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Showard View Post
    Just don’t use cruise control. I have a 2017 tundra with the 5.7. I frequently pull a 203 champion and when climbing steep inclines on parkways running 70-75 (in tow); it’s like the transmission gets confused. Revs really high then falls on its face. Done this several times hauling my 24’ pontoon as well. Stay off cruise control- no issues
    no problem there I never use the one I have.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Landar View Post
    F150 with 3.5 Ecoboost would be better at that altitude.
    I'm listening, why ?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chainslinger1959 View Post
    You are kidding? So you need a 3/4 ton diesel to pull a bass boat guess I didn’t get the memo.
    The memo isn't the only thing you didn't get. Based on your lack of reading comprehension it looks like you missed out on an education as well. Not to mention the lack of social skills you display seeing as you find the need to crap on his thread with no useful information.

It is not a question of trucks capability as much as it is comfort. I have been in a 2500 for the last 10 years as it just does everything better. I got tired of the trips through KY and Tenn where my F150 got 8mpg and shifted a few hundred times. Now I put my truck in drive and just go. I never have to worry about what gear I'm in.
    -2016 Phoenix 721 250 Pro XS
    -Old Rig-2006 Triton TR-196 200HP Optimax

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by steve lacey View Post
    I'm listening, why ?
    i like the eco boost a lot...as far as towing the turbos perform better at altitude as you get more air in the engine. Also as an aside I think the Tundra is really dated inside and really tough on fuel....I’m saying the fuel part from here say tho....as for long term reliability Fords are pretty solid but the Toyota May have the edge

5. Member
    It was a Ford that went into limp mode so I put a tuner on it and it still does it
    2018 BASSCAT COUGAR FTD
    MERCURY 250 PRO XS 2B524980

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa Bass Hunter View Post
    There ain't nothing a Tundra can't tow. For a gasser it's got serious power.

Quote Originally Posted by Rangerdawg View Post
    i like the eco boost a lot...as far as towing the turbos perform better at altitude as you get more air in the engine. Also as an aside I think the Tundra is really dated inside and really tough on fuel....I’m saying the fuel part from here say tho....as for long term reliability Fords are pretty solid but the Toyota May have the edge
    No question about reliability, sustainability, and longevity with Toyota beating Ford. This assuming the regular maintenance has been performed. If air intake becomes an issue on you Tundra swap the stock for a K&N or similar. Power increase, fuel mileage improvement and after I did mine it did not downshift as quickly on grades when pulling trailers.
    Grateful for every sunrise and sunset I get to witness. - Jason

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by steve lacey View Post
    I'm listening, why ?
    Turbocharged engines do not lose power as altitude increases. Normally aspirated engines lose 3.5 percent hp for every 1000 ft of altitude above sea level. This the Tundra would be down 17.5% HP at 5000 ft. The 3.5 ECO would be at full power. Also better low end torque and less down shifting.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by XChris1632X View Post
    I have been in a 2500 for the last 10 years as it just does everything better.
    That's debatable.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by H2O Seeker View Post
    No question about reliability, sustainability, and longevity with Toyota beating Ford. This assuming the regular maintenance has been performed. If air intake becomes an issue on you Tundra swap the stock for a K&N or similar. Power increase, fuel mileage improvement and after I did mine it did not downshift as quickly on grades when pulling trailers.
    I'm a member of a Tundra forum and everyone who goes with an intake sees minimal gains no matter if its TRD, K&N, or AFE. Most will agree it's a waste of money. I installed the air flow accelerator which is the first part of the TRD intake where the air enters and a drop in lifetime TRD air filter. I also added a Dirty Deeds BA 8" muffler system custom built for the Tundra and I believe the fabricator claims 3-10hp gain and 10-20 torque. They come with a resonator to eliminate drone.

11. Member
    A lot of good info, thanks guys

12. Member
    I tow into Vermont once a year and up and down decent hills around my area and the Tundra does great. As someone else said if you are towing on inclines a lot stay away from the TRD or aftermarket exhausts as it gets loud and can be annoying puling hills at 3k-4k rpm, truck does it just fine but its loud. I also plow with my tundra, i do my house my dads house and 2 rental properties and help out at our shop. 135k miles and it has not flinched yet.

With all that said I am looking at new truck next spring and I may try a F250 or 350. I just want something different and I love the look of the 2020 Tremor package. Hoping its not a big mistake. Have not decided if I will go with 7.3 gas or the Diesel.
    2020 Ranger 521L, Merc 250 Pro XS

I drive a 2500 everyday for construction work and theres no way I would want a heavy duty truck if all I pulled was a bass boat. Give me a 1500 ram or f150 and I can park easier, not rattle my teeth out and get better mpg and have better handling and acceleration. I have a 2500 ram and my dads 1500 ram feel like a cadillac and is plenty powerful, and is also a rocket ship with acceleration.

14. Member
    I tow with a Cummins 2500 Ram. Is it over kill for a bass rig? Maybe just a bit unless you find yourself in a emergency
    situation swerving or slamming the breaks to avoid a deer or road hazard. That's when you will appreciate the beefy suspension
    and over sized brakes . Passing trucks and RV's up the steepest mountain no problem! Also one of the things I love the most is
    the engine brake . When used correctly I use my brakes half as much as my old gasser. My buddy has the Tundra, besides the
    gas mileage it's a beautiful truck. Good luck with your decision.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Landar View Post
    Turbocharged engines do not lose power as altitude increases. Normally aspirated engines lose 3.5 percent hp for every 1000 ft of altitude above sea level. This the Tundra would be down 17.5% HP at 5000 ft. The 3.5 ECO would be at full power. Also better low end torque and less down shifting.
    -
    I don’t know the answer to this; but do modern engines with all their electronics/computers not have a way to compensate for higher altitude/thinner air?

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey59 View Post
    I tow with a Cummins 2500 Ram. Is it over kill for a bass rig? Maybe just a bit unless you find yourself in a emergency
    situation swerving or slamming the breaks to avoid a deer or road hazard. That's when you will appreciate the beefy suspension
    and over sized brakes . Passing trucks and RV's up the steepest mountain no problem! Also one of the things I love the most is
    the engine brake . When used correctly I use my brakes half as much as my old gasser. My buddy has the Tundra, besides the
    gas mileage it's a beautiful truck. Good luck with your decision.
    I agree no need for a diesel, to pull the boat but mine rides better than my 1500 did and better mpg, the exhaust brake is priceless when towing heavy

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey59 View Post
    That's when you will appreciate the beefy suspension
    and over sized brakes .
    The rotor size difference between 1/2 and 3/4 ton is less than 1/2" in overall diameter.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bshort View Post
    That's debatable.
    I'm willing to listen. The only downfall I have from a 1500 is turning radius. This particular model I have is a long bed so it isnt as small of package but I love the upsides to that. Other than those I have a ton more power, better mileage, and when loaded with the boat and gear ride is great. I have a 3500 for towing 5th wheel as well but 2500s now come with coil spring rears for great rides. Even my 1 ton rides very nice with a little weight.
    -2016 Phoenix 721 250 Pro XS
    -Old Rig-2006 Triton TR-196 200HP Optimax

19. Member
    I had a 15' crewmax with the 5.7 for 4 years, great trucks but the gas mileage is terrible and when towing the trans downshifts too often. Got a f150 4x4 with the 2.7 and it does everything better. Averaging 20mpg for 7k and pulls a boat like a dream. But I don't pull much more than my boat.
    2017 Z18
    175 ProXS
    Dual Poles
    Ultrex
    2 Garmin 93SV+

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    I laugh at these threads. Of course it will pull it! They do not even come close to the max towing weight...a bass boat might not even be have of it.

yep. I also laugh at the people who “can’t even tell it’s behind them”

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123