Thread: 2003 G3 HP 190

2003 G3 HP 190

This G3 was a Special edition prize boat without a motor. I purchased it from the winner many years ago and then purchased a used 2000 Yamaha 150hp HPDI short shaft motor and had it installed. After running the boat I've decided to install a new Yamaha 175 or Suzuki 175 (4 strokes) which will max the boats HP rating.
    The transom measures 23.5 inches. My current 150 (no jack plate) cavitation plate sits about 4" above the bottom of the hull which I feel is to high. The prop center is about 7" below the bottom. I got mixed info from the G3 factory about running a hydraulic 8" jack plate with the new motor. One person said no and the other said 8" is fine. I think with the transom measurement of 23.5" that should be a long shaft motor but G3 says no, they think they ran a short shaft. I think with a jackplate I'd be ok with either one. I looked at the owners page and see a few guys that ran jack plates on their G3s and am looking for some input from them as owners in helping me decide.
    Thanks
    Danny

If your prop shaft is 7" below the boat you don't need a long shaft motor.

3. Member
    That boat should use a 20" shaft motor not a 25" shaft and I'll bet that's what you have now. I'd put a 6" plate on it instead of an 8" since you really don't know what it's rated for. The special edition means it has a special paint job and an extended front deck. When your measuring how far below the hull the prop shaft is are you measuring from the lowest point on the pad hull which is the very bottom of the boat?

4. Member
    Thanks for the reply. Yes MD that measurement is from the lowest part of the hull. I think that 6"plate is going to be a good choice also.

5. Pat Goff
    Your definitions are wrong.
    Short shaft is 15" which you don't have.
    Long shaft is 20" which is most common. I don't think there is a G3 hull that takes anything BUT a 20" motor.
    XL Shaft is 25"
    7 inches shaft under pad is pretty common for flat on the transom, depending on which hole you're mounted in.
    Your Motor serial number will identify which shaft length you have.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>