Tatula CT Type R?

Just bought 2 of these because they can be had for some very attractive prices online and I have been wanting to try a Diawa reel for some time. Anyhow, they feel a little clunky in comparison to my 13 fishing concept A's. Not clunky as in junky just more play in them than the 13 fishing reels. The spools don't spin for not even close to as long as the spools in the 13 fishing reels. I am thinking the spool bearing could be over oil from the factory and the reel will loosen up after some good use. Anybody else feel like this about these reels?

2. Member
    Spinning the spool “freespool”has absolutely nothing to do with reel performance.

3. Member
    As said above, free spool time has zero effect on the reels performance. It's just something companies like boca or spool speed show you on social media videos to make you think they have a "superior" product. However, I always remove spool bearings on all new reels and flush/oil them. Usually makes a difference. As for the tolerances, I wouldn't expect perfection from the lower end reel option of the company. The Tatula CT/R line is a solid reel but it doesn't have the tightest handle tolerances.

Didn't realize that was a lower end Diawa………….lol.

Daiwas come pretty dry , I'd hit each spool bearing with a good light bearing oil. I use yellow rocket fuel.
    I have ct's with stock bearings that will out cast curados.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by K-DAWG View Post
    Tatula Type R can be had for $110...possibly lower if you keep looking. List is $179.95. Check out the Daiwa models offered at Tackle Warehouse. I believe there are 19 models costing more than that (the $179.95 list price). All the way up to $699.99

Most of the time I don't notice little things. I have one Concept A. I have to say I immediately noticed how nice it felt once mounted on a rod. Ergonomics feel great to me. However, it did take me a bit longer to get dialed in than the majority of my reels. I also have a Tatulas Type R. Both the Daiwa and 13 Fishing are older models. I just went and checked for play in the handles and gave each a few cranks against a light drag. I didn't notice either being clunky.

I do run spools loser on Magforze Z reels so there is often a bit of side to side play, but I don't consider that clunky.

BUT this is only one model of each. Maybe I got lucky. Maybe you got unlucky.

From my reading it seems to me the majority of people feel that the Tatula lines are excellent reels for the money.

BTW, I think the OG Tatula Type R looks a 100 times better than the CT Type R.

EDIT: Just found an OG Tatula Type R 100XSL for $99.99 with free shipping. So tempted....but must resist.
    Last edited by new2BC4bass; 12-13-2019 at 09:38 PM.

7. Member
    The Tatula CT (non SV) line is the entry level reel line of Daiwa. The differences between the CT and CT R are so negligible you wouldn't know the difference blindfolded. It's not to be demeaning of the reel. They're solid reels but they are what they are.

Quote Originally Posted by iabass8 View Post
    The Tatula CT (non SV) line is the entry level reel line of Daiwa. The differences between the CT and CT R are so negligible you wouldn't know the difference blindfolded. It's not to be demeaning of the reel. They're solid reels but they are what they are.
    I get the feeling I hit a nerve with you. That wasn't my intention. I posted a thread here the other day about the SV vs the CT-R. Went with the CT-R based on the responses I received. But, there are only like 8 reels above the CT-Type R. All those others are saltwater reels. There are around 8 reels below it. So, I wouldn't call it a lower end. Instead a middle of the road line of reels.
    Last edited by K-DAWG; 12-13-2019 at 10:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by new2BC4bass View Post
    Tatula Type R can be had for $110...possibly lower if you keep looking. List is $179.95. Check out the Daiwa models offered at Tackle Warehouse. I believe there are 19 models costing more than that (the $179.95 list price). All the way up to $699.99

Most of the time I don't notice little things. I have one Concept A. I have to say I immediately noticed how nice it felt once mounted on a rod. Ergonomics feel great to me. However, it did take me a bit longer to get dialed in than the majority of my reels. I also have a Tatulas Type R. Both the Daiwa and 13 Fishing are older models. I just went and checked for play in the handles and gave each a few cranks against a light drag. I didn't notice either being clunky.

I do run spools loser on Magforze Z reels so there is often a bit of side to side play, but I don't consider that clunky.

BUT this is only one model of each. Maybe I got lucky. Maybe you got unlucky.

From my reading it seems to me the majority of people feel that the Tatula lines are excellent reels for the money.

BTW, I think the OG Tatula Type R looks a 100 times better than the CT Type R.

EDIT: Just found an OG Tatula Type R 100XSL for $99.99 with free shipping. So tempted....but must resist.
    Great info thanks

10. Member
    I get the feeling I hit a nerve with you. That wasn't my intention. I posted a thread here the other day about the SV vs the CT-R. Went with the CT-R based on the responses I received. But, there are only like 8 reels above the CT-Type R. All those others are saltwater reels. There are around 8 reels below it. So, I wouldn't call it a lower end. Instead a middle of the road line of reels.
    Not sure how you got that impression....I was just telling you what the reels are vs expectations..... You seemed offended when I told you the reel was entry level. I'm not trying to demean your purchase . I'm , again, just telling you what the reel is vs expectations you may or may not have had for tolerances. I personally don't care what you buy. They're solid reels....I still own 1 but they are what they are. But anyway, I'll expand on the matter.

I'll be more specific. The CG reels below it aren't Daiwa made reels. They're doyo reels like lews, abu, etc that Daiwa outsourced .

As for actual Daiwa made low profile , not including the round reels, the Tatula CT is the beginning entry level reel for actual Daiwa made low profile reels. There's also the Fuego which is identical to a Tatula CT but it does not have a TWS. Though cheaper, it's the same reel sans TWS. You can find all of these reels BNIB for 110+/- . With the introduction of the Tatula 100 and it's variants now, I'm not sure if the CT is being phased out or not . The new Tatula SV that's due out on the 20th or of this month is based on the new 100 frame. You can pre order it from digitaka if you're interested in it.

TW has a very small fraction of the reels available for Daiwa. There's dozens of reels above the Tatula CT line. Relative to what TW has on it's site, I could see why you assume it's a middle of a road reel. That's fair. However, Relative to what is actually available, it's the entry level reel.

The middle of the road offerings from Daiwa start /w the zillion/alphas line. You have countless variants /w the alphas like the CT70, Stream custom, Air, etc and a few zillions but not as many as in years past. There's also the MB variants of the Daiwa reels. Above that is obviously the Steez and it's numerous amounts of variants ie SVTW/A/CT/AIR/red tune/SV103 and so on. There's too many reels to count in between the Zillion- up to Steez like the Z2020, T3 variants, etc.

Again, not trying to call your reel bad. They're rock solid and popular for a reason. I work on these reels all across the price spectrum. There's some things you can do like adding llevelwind bearings to the CT to smooth out the retrieve but the tolerances are definitely not there in the Tatula lines relative to the Steez SV/A lines which, imo are the best ones they've made and my personal favorites.
    Last edited by iabass8; 12-14-2019 at 12:02 AM.

Not sure how you got that impression....I was just telling you what the reels are vs expectations..... You seemed offended when I told you the reel was entry level. I'm not trying to demean your purchase . I'm , again, just telling you what the reel is vs expectations you may or may not have had for tolerances. I personally don't care what you buy. They're solid reels....I still own 1 but they are what they are. But anyway, I'll expand on the matter.

I'll be more specific. The CG reels below it aren't Daiwa made reels. They're doyo reels like lews, abu, etc that Daiwa outsourced .

As for actual Daiwa made low profile , not including the round reels, the Tatula CT is the beginning entry level reel for actual Daiwa made low profile reels. There's also the Fuego which is identical to a Tatula CT but it does not have a TWS. Though cheaper, it's the same reel sans TWS. You can find all of these reels BNIB for 110+/- . With the introduction of the Tatula 100 and it's variants now, I'm not sure if the CT is being phased out or not . The new Tatula SV that's due out on the 20th or of this month is based on the new 100 frame. You can pre order it from digitaka if you're interested in it.

TW has a very small fraction of the reels available for Daiwa. There's dozens of reels above the Tatula CT line. Relative to what TW has on it's site, I could see why you assume it's a middle of a road reel. That's fair. However, Relative to what is actually available, it's the entry level reel.

The middle of the road offerings from Daiwa start /w the zillion/alphas line. You have countless variants /w the alphas like the CT70, Stream custom, Air, etc and a few zillions but not as many as in years past. There's also the MB variants of the Daiwa reels. Above that is obviously the Steez and it's numerous amounts of variants ie SVTW/A/CT/AIR/red tune/SV103 and so on. There's too many reels to count in between the Zillion- up to Steez like the Z2020, T3 variants, etc.

Again, not trying to call your reel bad. They're rock solid and popular for a reason. I work on these reels all across the price spectrum. There's some things you can do like adding llevelwind bearings to the CT to smooth out the retrieve but the tolerances are definitely not there in the Tatula lines relative to the Steez SV/A lines which, imo are the best ones they've made and my personal favorites.
    FAir enough. How do you add bearings to the level wind? Bet that would make a noticeable difference. I still need a couple of reels think I am gonna buy a couple of the Tatula SV's
    Last edited by K-DAWG; 12-14-2019 at 06:13 AM.

Also, you seem to very knowledgeable with the diawas. Can I add a SV spool to the CT-R and make it a SV? Seems looking at the specs they are identical the only difference is one is SV.

13. Member
    Also, you seem to very knowledgeable with the diawas. Can I add a SV spool to the CT-R and make it a SV? Seems looking at the specs they are identical the only difference is one is SV.
    it requires breaking the reel down completely for the most part.

Removing the spool side plate theres a c clip that holds in the levelwind.
    Carefully remove that.

On the handle side, remove the handle, drag and frame screws. Pull the main gear off as well as the clutch engagement washer. Theres a small idler gear that rotates the levelwind . Pull that out and replace the bushings with a bearing. Reassemble.

the svspool doesnt fit completley im the ct/ct r. It would require spacers if i remember to remove a gap. If you dont have the spool , buying it is roughly the price you paid for the reel.

Well, it been raining here for the last 3 days but, the rain broke long enough for me to get out to the pond on my property and get some casting in. I must say these reels a really nice. Cast a mile and have very good easy to use braking. I'm sold gonna buy 2 more of these bad boys. Thank you to everyone who has replied on this thread. Some very good information shared here.