Minn Kota Terrova Lift assist removal?

I have a 60 inch minn kota terrova, looking at adding on the Cornfield crappie 360 mount. I think i will still have plenty of shaft length for my 17.5 alumacraft even in rough water but if anyone has any experience removing these lift assists without any problem i would sure appreciate it the knowledge. I would like to keep as much shaft length as possible.

I did a search here and google but cant seem to find anything on it.

Thank you!

-Blake

2. Member
    on Lake Hartwell in Westminster, SC 29693
    this guy removed lift assist

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blakemc24 View Post
    I have a 60 inch minn kota terrova, looking at adding on the Cornfield crappie 360 mount. I think i will still have plenty of shaft length for my 17.5 alumacraft even in rough water but if anyone has any experience removing these lift assists without any problem i would sure appreciate it the knowledge. I would like to keep as much shaft length as possible.

I did a search here and google but cant seem to find anything on it.

Thank you!

-Blake
    Hi Blake
    i removed my lift assist parts, planning to run my downscan cable down the slot.
    But once it was out I saw that the lift assist uses that slot.
    It was tricky to get the spring assembly parts out when I pulled the shaft out and my boat is now wrapped up
    for winter and I thnk that I can get it all back together in the spring - and coil mycable around the bottom of the shaft - see my post for a posted video on running the cable.

Why are you removing the lift assist? I considered not putting mine back on but I do like the lift assist feature.

Red
    2018 Tracker Pro Team 175 TXW
    60 HP Merc
    Terrova TM
    Garmin EchoMap Plus 73SV

4. Member
    I would like to keep as much shaft length as possible.

The depth of a Terrova with the assist mechanism has the same depth as the older model without.

They increased the shaft length approx. 4.

I have a 60' with assist on a 17.5 Sylvan that replaced a unit without assist and have noticed no difference.

5. Member
    The lift assist unit also uses the slots on top of the steering module to steer the motor. If you remove the lift assist, the steering module doesn't have anything to connect to.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RedA View Post
    Hi Blake
    i removed my lift assist parts, planning to run my downscan cable down the slot.
    But once it was out I saw that the lift assist uses that slot.
    It was tricky to get the spring assembly parts out when I pulled the shaft out and my boat is now wrapped up
    for winter and I thnk that I can get it all back together in the spring - and coil mycable around the bottom of the shaft - see my post for a posted video on running the cable.

Why are you removing the lift assist? I considered not putting mine back on but I do like the lift assist feature.

Red
    thank you for your response!

im just evaluating my options, but im going to install a cornfield crappie 360 mount on my terrova. Just playing around with the idea on removing the lift assist to gain a little more shaft length since this 360 attachment will be taking up a little shaft length.

i have a 60 inch minn kota terrova on a 17.5 alumacraft.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    The depth of a Terrova with the assist mechanism has the same depth as the older model without.

They increased the shaft length approx. 4.

I have a 60' with assist on a 17.5 Sylvan that replaced a unit without assist and have noticed no difference.
    That is awesome to hear, although i do fish rough water here quite a bit. I know the cornfield crappie mount isn't going to take up much room but from the sounds of it i may not worry about taking the lift assist off just yet.

thank you

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    The lift assist unit also uses the slots on top of the steering module to steer the motor. If you remove the lift assist, the steering module doesn't have anything to connect to.
    John
    thanks john, just curious if that was even an option and looks like it isn't.