Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Window in a shower

I have a older house that has a large window in the updtaira shower. The area around the tub/ shower area is wet and other issues. I'm going to totally gut the bathroom anf redo floor, shower and the walls. And upgrade the electrical. How should I aproach the window? I Dontvwant to take it out if possible. As its 20' in the air and siding is impossiable to match. I'm working on pics.

https://link.shutterfly.com/imxNzRKXs2
    Last edited by PII Magnum; 12-16-2019 at 07:05 AM.
    Cheaper to keep a kid in tourney fishing than paying attorneys to keep them out of jail !!

2. Member
    If it shows no sign of leaking and you want to cover it up inside, then spray paint the inside either black or a matching color of the siding. Seal it inside and cover with with drywall or plywood.
    All sheep are eventually led to slaughter

3. Member
    I'm not sure what you're asking. I redid a bathroom with a full-size window in the shower (giant headache) I replaced it with a quality awning window at head height so it didn't get the direct splashing but I could still have fresh air in the summer. But mine was at ground floor and had clapboard siding which blended the fill-in easily

4. Member
    If you're looking to eliminate the window completely, you might consider replacing it with glass block which would still let in natural light but easier to waterproof and you don't have to impact the siding really

5. Member
    I live in a newer plan and there are several homes with large windows in the bathroom shower area (neighbors homes I have seen). One home installed a beautiful stained glass window. It lets light in but maintains privacy. Now two neighbors have those electronic windows that turn opaque when you flip a light switch. When they aren't taking a shower, the window is clear and provides natural light to the bathroom. When they take a shower they flip the switch and the window goes opaque for privacy.

Two options for keeping a window in the shower area.
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff La View Post
    If it shows no sign of leaking and you want to cover it up inside, then spray paint the inside either black or a matching color of the siding. Seal it inside and cover with with drywall or plywood.

I like how you think, I hate windows in showers. I agree with this man!

7. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    If you're looking to eliminate the window completely, you might consider replacing it with glass block which would still let in natural light but easier to waterproof and you don't have to impact the siding really
    My suggestion as well. Gives you a surface like tile inside and still allows natural light.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

8. Member
    we replaced our's with glass block,,
    2018 Crestliner PT20
    2018 Evinrude G2 200 H.O.
    Duel 8' PP blades
    Atlas hydraulic jackplate

9. Arkansas Rally Moderator Arkyarcher's Avatar
    Gene Wilson

2000 Xpress X19 Mercury 200
    Team PoorMansCustomLures

Two wrongs don't make a right , but three lefts do.

10. Member
    That stuff does the trick for privacy and is easy to apply. Wife put it in the bathroom she uses to shower and then tried to put it in the bathroom I use for my thinking. I wasn't cool with that at all. I like to watch the turkeys, squirrels and whatever happens to be around while I'm otherwise occupied. Finally prevailed

Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    The 80's called, asking for their glass block back.

Besides solar projects we are General Contractors....we do a lot of multifamily Reno's as well as new builds etc. Glass block is a MAJOR turn off to both buyers and renters. Its gotten pretty hard to source as well since it doesn't sell like it did at one time...its super tacky and is prone to leak in the joints.

OP If you can replace the window with a vinyl one do so, install membrane all around it and seal it up thoroughly, you can get opaque glass for it as well. These windows are cheap and alleviate a lot of the issue you are having. Use synthetic trim, avoid wood etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff La View Post
    If you ever go to sell the house this will be a major red flag to buyers and inspectors....

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bass Junkie View Post
    If you ever go to sell the house this will be a major red flag to buyers and inspectors....

Why? Windows in dormers are typically done the same way.

14. Member
    Why would any architect put a window in a shower is beyond me. Not to bright in my opinion. Go ahead and cover it inside and be done with it. Leave the outside as is.

Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Why? Windows in dormers are typically done the same way.
    A dormer is not a shower.

Windows in showers are VERY outdated...we take them out when we see them and match the exterior/wall and close them. We don't band-aid the issue or create a question for a future inspector. It's your house...but it will come up in the future again if you sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by porkbelly View Post
    Why would any architect put a window in a shower is beyond me.
    My thoughts as well, ignorant design. Rented a house years ago with a window in the shower and hated it!! Mold and mildew were a constant problem, then it started rotting under it because it wasn't sealed well etc

17. Member
    The window I have in my shower is pretty cool. It’s at shoulder height and it overlooks my backyard and it’s sort of pretty nice watching the birds and squirrels play in the backyard. It also lets in fresh and cool air.

18. Banned
    Probably better off to just fix it correctly the first time. Good luck

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5-20 View Post
    The window I have in my shower is pretty cool. It’s at shoulder height and it overlooks my backyard and it’s sort of pretty nice watching the birds and squirrels play in the backyard. It also lets in fresh and cool air.
    May I ask why you watching birds and squirrels in the shower? I just want to scrub and get out, not get all wrinkled up. And fresh air in the shower Wow.

20. Member
    Windows above bath tubs were very common years ago when there probably wasn't a shower head there. Add a shower to modernize a bathroom and you still have a window.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast