Thread: 2017 179TRX

2017 179TRX

Looking at possibly buying a 2017 179trx. Its got the 115 mercury 4s on it with a minn kota fortrex. Also comes with a Lowrance hook 5 in the dash. Would obviously want to upgrade that to something bigger. Dealer is asking 18,900 for it. Is this a good deal? Also how do other 179trx owners like the boat? Pros? Cons? TIA

I had a TR186 for many years. The boats look identical but the specs on the 179 state the hull weighs less. It was a great boat for me. About the only complaint I had was the front center storage compartment. Stuff can slide all the way to the front and then you can't reach it by hand. I thought it took choppy water very well and in fact in some cases, I think it had a smoother ride than my 20 TRX.

How many hours are on the motor. It looks pretty clean in the picture so it could be a good deal considering a new one in almost 30k. The Foretrex is a good TM but I'll never be without a TM that includes some form of spot lock.

It should be the Command Thrust outboard but make sure. You'll need that on the heavier boat. I have always questioned the performance of a 115 on a boat this size. My TR186 had a 150 and that was fine but two guys and full livewells would add a few seconds to the hole shot. The boat will probably go low 50s at the best and that is running WOT. The performance with a full load would really be my only concern.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    I had a TR186 for many years. The boats look identical but the specs on the 179 state the hull weighs less. It was a great boat for me. About the only complaint I had was the front center storage compartment. Stuff can slide all the way to the front and then you can't reach it by hand. I thought it took choppy water very well and in fact in some cases, I think it had a smoother ride than my 20 TRX.

How many hours are on the motor. It looks pretty clean in the picture so it could be a good deal considering a new one in almost 30k. The Foretrex is a good TM but I'll never be without a TM that includes some form of spot lock.

It should be the Command Thrust outboard but make sure. You'll need that on the heavier boat. I have always questioned the performance of a 115 on a boat this size. My TR186 had a 150 and that was fine but two guys and full livewells would add a few seconds to the hole shot. The boat will probably go low 50s at the best and that is running WOT. The performance with a full load would really be my only concern.
    Yeah the smaller motor is my only concern. Ive done some research and most guys can get high 40s low 50s with the right prop and set up, just got to play around with it. Also I think adding a whales tail stabilizer to the lower unit might help with performance. I will say I am just graduated from college so this is my first boat. I understand I cant afford a 21 footer with a 250 and an ultrex on it right now and I am just looking for a starter boat. Hard to pass up on a 2017 that fits in my price range.

4. Member
    That price seems pretty good. I traded one, (2017), a year ago and got more than 18k for trade value.
    2019 Phoenix 819 ProXP
    200 Mercury 4 Stroke ProXS

Quote Originally Posted by WStorey View Post
    Yeah the smaller motor is my only concern. Ive done some research and most guys can get high 40s low 50s with the right prop and set up, just got to play around with it. Also I think adding a whales tail stabilizer to the lower unit might help with performance. I will say I am just graduated from college so this is my first boat. I understand I cant afford a 21 footer with a 250 and an ultrex on it right now and I am just looking for a starter boat. Hard to pass up on a 2017 that fits in my price range.
    Cool, yeah it would definitely be a good first boat. I am sure it would serve you well.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

6. Member
    Had a 2012 17’ Triton Explorer glass boat w/115 ProXS as my first bass boat and it’s was a great boat. This 179 hull looks very similar and sits on trailer exactly same way. I agree with Berudd that ride was great and easy to handle. Hull reacts heavily to trim. Get it on plane and trim it up and it was super easy to drive. just learn it’s limits and stay out of the really big water if the winds howling. The 115 with me alone was a 50+ mph boat. Add all your gear and your sub 50’s. Add a partner and it’s mid40’s. The thing was maneuverable as all get out. You can snake in and out and squeeze into some pretty tight spaced docks and spin it around on a dime. Was easy on the wallet at the pump too. I think it’s a good boat for the money.

0B5AC00F-E264-46B6-98B6-EC0E1A87D862.jpeg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jkville; 12-15-2019 at 07:23 AM.
    Jeff White
    2017 Triton 18TRX
    200 ProXS

7. Member
    Do not put a whales tail on that motor, just make sure the boat is set-up right. I sell a lot of 179TRX's and it will run between 46-50mph, hole shot should be around 4-5 seconds, which is not bad for that size boat.

8. You tube@ Rix Fishing Fix
    I bought a 179 last October... having fished out of it a year I can say I made a good decision... I had a Ranger tin I traded on the 179... I wanted a better ride and better livewell system and got both in this boat. It fishes bigger than an 18'6" boat but as someone else said it is a very nimble rig. I have had it around 52 by myself and tackle, 46-48 depending on co angler and gear. If you trim motor down with 2 guys in the boat it gets on plane fine and just trim it up as you level off you dont need to add one of those whale tails. For the money it is the best glass boat rated for a 115. I looked at everyone's glass boats in this size range.... Triton is the best bang for your buck. I do have the 115 Pro XS with Command Thrust awesome motor.
    TYG-(Trust Your Gut!!)

9. Member
    Appreciate the help everybody!

10. Member
    i bought a 179 trx new in 2016......i like the boat.....dry ride, not a real speedy boat, but for a 115, it does fine....mine is a 2 stroke merc....i can get about 49.5 mph in mine.....bought a 4" manual jackplate for it.....going to put that on this spring, and try a little bigger prop....do a little fine tuning....the only thing i've found wrong with the boat, is the front seat pedestal is too close to the trolling motor pedal.....other than that, i like the 175...good luck!

11. Member
    I bought one new in 2016, it's a really good boat, handles and rides well. Decent storage, I have the same 115 4s motor and get 49mph top end with 2 in the boat. I've had zero problems with mine. My only gripe is the same as vin059, the front deck seat post is too close to the trolling motor foot control, which makes the foot control right underneath me when leaning against the pedestal fishing. What were they thinking?
    Last edited by chatabass; 12-21-2019 at 08:38 AM.

12. Member
    Isn’t the hulls the same for the 179trx, 189trx, and 18trx? The only differences are the 115, 150, and 200HP motors...

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RHuff View Post
    Isn’t the hulls the same for the 179trx, 189trx, and 18trx? The only differences are the 115, 150, and 200HP motors...
    No the 179TRX is a completely different hull than the 189TRX and the 18TRX. The 189TRX and the 18TRX are the same running surface, just equipped differently.

14. Member
    The 179 and the 189 are the exact same hull. 18ft 6”
    2015 189 trx

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by z7extreme View Post
    The 179 and the 189 are the exact same hull. 18ft 6”
    No they’re not, the 179 is 18‘6“ long with a 91 inch beam, the 189 is 18‘8“ with a 94 inch beam.