Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar

Thoughts on REITS and High Yield Stocks

Have been looking at various REIT and high yield dividend stocks for a pure income generating portfolio. Thoughts?

2. Member
    I have some Dividend Growth Mutual funds. I have been thinking, I may need to increase percentage into more Dividend Funds.

Maybe others will give some very insightful information.

I own Smart Real Estate Investment Trust. Its a Canadian Retail REIT that deals with Wal-Mart and other companies. IF you want a monthly dividend payment, then REITS are great for that. But I wouldn't invest heavily into them as there are better dividend stocks out there that does not rely on people or companies paying rent.

4. Member
    Make sure you know what you are buying, what types of properties they own and whether it is a traditional Reit or a mortgage reit. I personally own just a few REITs Prologis and WPC. I stay away from mortgage Reits and ones that focus mostly on malls and retail shopping centers. As mentioned above there are some that pay monthly like Realty Income and Stag. They usually trade at a premium for this reason.

5. Member
    For the average investor interested in the income and diversification real estate can offer, I am wondering why anyone really needs anything more sophisticated than just something like vanguard’s reit index fund. The admiral version requires a min of $10,000 and has a low cost of 0.12.

Also consider high yield bond funds. There is also a high yield tax free bond fund too.