Thread: Stickmarsh

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Keep pouring the poison to everything and fight for what little is left...lol, get er done.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by acesover View Post
    The hurricanes in 2004 did most of the damage, long before the spraying started but the spraying being done now isn't helping. When we got the 2 hurricanes in two weeks in 2004, it did a lot of damage to the bottom at the Stick Marsh, which it never seemed to recover. You are the one passing the wrong info....
    So your telling me hurricanes 16 years ago damaged the stickmarsh and we are still seeing the effects today, then tell me why lakes within spitting distance of there like Kennasville and Garcia did not have the same effects, the hurricane just hit the stickmarsh? Tell me another thing, the stickmarsh was created to be a big filtering reservoir from all the agricultural land right at the headwaters of St. Johns, which it did for a long time. The water was gin clear in there with lots of grass, why did they start spraying and kill 95% of that grass which did all the filtering? Hurricanes did not eliminate the grass in the Stick Marsh so who is really passing on the misinformation.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknemo View Post
    So your telling me hurricanes 16 years ago damaged the stickmarsh and we are still seeing the effects today, then tell me why lakes within spitting distance of there like Kennasville and Garcia did not have the same effects, the hurricane just hit the stickmarsh? Tell me another thing, the stickmarsh was created to be a big filtering reservoir from all the agricultural land right at the headwaters of St. Johns, which it did for a long time. The water was gin clear in there with lots of grass, why did they start spraying and kill 95% of that grass which did all the filtering? Hurricanes did not eliminate the grass in the Stick Marsh so who is really passing on the misinformation.
    100% same as with Walk in water.
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl
    1996 Johnson Faststrike J150GLEDB

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottOz View Post
    100% same as with Walk in water.

Add Istokpoga and Kissimmee to the list of mudholes. Hurricanes may strip hydrilla, but hydrilla appears to come back quickly if not sprayed. Seminole got hit by a Cat 5 a year ago, and the grass today looks as good as ever.

Eel grass seems to be a much different story - The St Johns got hit with Matthew in 2016, and then hammered by Irma in 2016. Irma put all the eel grass up on the hill, and 2 years later its still not a shadow of its former density. Btw, the St Johns is sprayed by the ACE, but they seem to focus on hyacinths and not on SAV.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknemo View Post
    The hurricanes turned the muck bottom over when the wind created the turbulence, and it never recovered. Probably never will. Garcia has more in the way of shelter than the Stick marsh does and as far a Keanansville goes, can't tell you as I went there one time many years ago and never went back. Although I agree with you in regards to the FWC policy of spraying, you can't blame them for creating the Stick Marsh problem. But you can blame them for not making it any better. The hurricanes causing the turn over problem at the Stick Marsh has been pretty well documented. And as far as the difference between the SM and Garcia, I was told years ago by an FWC biologist that they were going to leave Garcia alone and manage the SM for both fishing and vegetation, but that was a long time ago.
    Wait till we get another tough hurricane year like we did in 04, the new Fellsmere area will probably end up looking like the SM

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by acesover View Post
    The hurricanes turned the muck bottom over when the wind created the turbulence, and it never recovered. Probably never will. Garcia has more in the way of shelter than the Stick marsh does and as far a Keanansville goes, can't tell you as I went there one time many years ago and never went back. Although I agree with you in regards to the FWC policy of spraying, you can't blame them for creating the Stick Marsh problem. But you can blame them for not making it any better. The hurricanes causing the turn over problem at the Stick Marsh has been pretty well documented. And as far as the difference between the SM and Garcia, I was told years ago by an FWC biologist that they were going to leave Garcia alone and manage the SM for both fishing and vegetation, but that was a long time ago.
    Wait till we get another tough hurricane year like we did in 04, the new Fellsmere area will probably end up looking like the SM
    This is exqctly what happened. At Stick Marsh, they do spray the area called the Back Lot. If they didn't spray it, you could not get a boat through there. You could not navigate it. The cabbage would fill the canal and the whole area up. They seldom spray the actual Stick Marsh or Farm 13 areas.

I am not a supporter of spraying, but I fish a couple of lesser known lakes that are great fisheries. If they did not spray them some, you could not run a boat through them. I have seen them so choked up that you couldn't run the boat.

The hurricanes did the damage at Stick.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

7. Member
    Anyone been out this week? Just curious how the bite is?

8. Member
    Also Kenansville, anyone been on that one?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Promax5184 View Post
    Anyone been out this week? Just curious how the bite is?
    Stick Marsh is slow.

10. Member
    Thanks Orion922

11. Member
    It’s hit or miss. Fished two days ago and zeroed for 3 hrs. Yesterday, I had 11 in 3 hrs with a 5 & a 6. Caught all in a 30 min window. Then it DIED.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Promax5184 View Post
    Also Kenansville, anyone been on that one?
    kenansville was dynamite prior to the cold front. It’s starting to pick back up. With the weather projected for the next few days, a bunch of lakes are going to be jamming.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12