Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
  1. Member
    Wayne:

I apologize if I'm asking for you to re-state the obvious but:

For a correct two transducer install on a Scheels Helix 12 2.5, I need a XNT 9 HW T and a 9 M SIDB Y cable?

Thank you for all the help you give!

Quote Originally Posted by Grumps View Post
    Wayne:

I apologize if I'm asking for you to re-state the obvious but:

For a correct two transducer install on a Scheels Helix 12 2.5, I need a XNT 9 HW T and a 9 M SIDB Y cable?

Thank you for all the help you give!
    Yes if you want the 2D transducer on the transom.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    I do, thanks again.

Back to the top
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Back to the top again
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Back to the top again
    Thanks Wayne ... for keeping this at the top ...

Rickie

Back to the top
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

8. Member
    Good day - time for a report on my experiences with this HW adaptation for the regular Helix G2N unit.

I had setup a Helix-10-Chirp-SI-GPS-G2N with the stock XM-9-20-MSI-T and a High Speed XNT-9-HW-T with the 9-M-SIDB-Y cable. Both transducers were left unplugged while I made settings changes to the Helix.

As previously discussed this involves changing the selected transducer to the Built-In HW+MSI which sets the frequencies for the HW transducer, and then reset the DI/SI frequencies back to the stock 2.18 firmware frequencies to accommodate the transducer that was originally shipped with the Helix. These frequency differences are:

Stock 2.18 firmware / Built-In HW+MSI:

DI:
    455 khz start: 405 / 435
    455 khz end: 535 / 535

800 khz start: 780 / 800
    800 khz end: 860 / 860

Mega start: 1.15 / 1.075
    Mega end: 1.275 / 1.175

SI:
    455 khz start: 405 / 405
    455 khz end: 535 / 505

800 khz start: 780 / 780
    800 khz end: 860 / 840

Mega start: 1.15 / 1.1
    Mega end: 1.275 / 1.2

OK, all should be good. But the problem is that every time the Helix is power cycled the settings for the DI/SI frequencies reset themselves back to the frequencies generated by the Built-In HW+MSI Connected Transducer. I again adjust the frequencies in the options, power cycle the Helix, and the frequencies are again back to the Built-In HW+MSI frequencies. So in other words, any frequency settings that I adjust are not retained when the Helix is power cycled.

Another odd problem I ran into was the Down Imaging no longer worked. I don't know if this has to do with the unit resetting the frequencies I adjusted, or what the issue might be.

Not knowing if I might be damaging the stock XM-9-20-MSI-T transducer I reinstalled the original high speed transducer and am now running everything stock again.

So my questions then, are:

1. why does the Helix not retain the adjusted frequencies in the settings?
    2. will leaving the frequencies provided by the Built-In HW+MSI Connected Transducer damage the DI/SI transducer that came with the Helix G2N?

I found that the HW system provides better definition and clarity, but it's not worth damaging anything if the Helix settings won't stay where I put them. Thanks for any feedback on this.

Cheers... Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve D. View Post
    Good day - time for a report on my experiences with this HW adaptation for the regular Helix G2N unit.

I had setup a Helix-10-Chirp-SI-GPS-G2N with the stock XM-9-20-MSI-T and a High Speed XNT-9-HW-T with the 9-M-SIDB-Y cable. Both transducers were left unplugged while I made settings changes to the Helix.

As previously discussed this involves changing the selected transducer to the Built-In HW+MSI which sets the frequencies for the HW transducer, and then reset the DI/SI frequencies back to the stock 2.18 firmware frequencies to accommodate the transducer that was originally shipped with the Helix. These frequency differences are:

DI:

SI:

OK, all should be good. But the problem is that every time the Helix is power cycled the settings for the DI/SI frequencies reset themselves back to the frequencies generated by the Built-In HW+MSI Connected Transducer. I again adjust the frequencies in the options, power cycle the Helix, and the frequencies are again back to the Built-In HW+MSI frequencies. So in other words, any frequency settings that I adjust are not retained when the Helix is power cycled.

Another odd problem I ran into was the Down Imaging no longer worked. I don't know if this has to do with the unit resetting the frequencies I adjusted, or what the issue might be.

Not knowing if I might be damaging the stock XM-9-20-MSI-T transducer I reinstalled the original high speed transducer and am now running everything stock again.

2. will leaving the frequencies provided by the Built-In HW+MSI Connected Transducer damage the DI/SI transducer that came with the Helix G2N?

I found that the HW system provides better definition and clarity, but it's not worth damaging anything if the Helix settings won't stay where I put them. Thanks for any feedback on this.

Cheers... Steve
    ONLY frying the HW piezo is a concern.

The deal with the Imaging frequencies is the Default Range is the best for the Imaging piezos being used.

Nowhere in this thread has damaging a SI or DI piezo or damaging the unit by changing the Imaging frequency range been mentioned, and it should stay that way.
    Last edited by Wayne P.; 06-08-2020 at 05:47 PM.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

10. Member
    Thanks for the correction Wayne. Is there any way of getting the Helix G2N, when set to the Built-In HW+MSI option as the Connected Transducer, to retain the adjusted imaging frequencies when the unit is power cycled?

11. Member
    I received an email reply from Humminbird about the imaging frequencies not retaining the adjusted settings when the Helix G2N is power cycled. They advised that they are aware of the problem and there will be a fix in an upcoming update, although they don't know when that's going to happen. So for those that have been experimenting with the HW low Q 2D transducer on the older 2nd gen Helix, the imaging frequencies will need to be adjusted each time the unit is powered up, or wait until the update comes around that fixes this problem. It a good thing that the software glitch affects the imaging settings, and not the selected transducer setting.

Back to the top
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Back to the top
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

14. Member
    I received an email reply from Humminbird about the imaging frequencies not retaining the adjusted settings when the Helix G2N is power cycled. They advised that they are aware of the problem and there will be a fix in an upcoming update, although they don't know when that's going to happen. So for those that have been experimenting with the HW low Q 2D transducer on the older 2nd gen Helix, the imaging frequencies will need to be adjusted each time the unit is powered up, or wait until the update comes around that fixes this problem. It a good thing that the software glitch affects the imaging settings, and not the selected transducer setting.
    Been running mine now for almost a year (see post #22). Initially, I had my settings set as described in post #29. I did reset defaults a couple times since then. In checking just now, my Connected Transducer is still Built-In HW + MSI and my 2D sonar frequencies are still the same (140 - 240). But all my MEGA SI and DI start and end frequencies have been changed back to, I assume, defaults. Maybe I'm throwing caution to the wind, but it's working, it was a good install, it resolved an issue I had previously with losing bottom occasionally and I'm quite pleased with the results. Maybe it will burn up a piezo next time out, but if it's worked for almost a year, seems like it will continue to work. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownTrout View Post
    Been running mine now for almost a year (see post #22). Initially, I had my settings set as described in post #29. I did reset defaults a couple times since then. In checking just now, my Connected Transducer is still Built-In HW + MSI and my 2D sonar frequencies are still the same (140 - 240). But all my MEGA SI and DI start and end frequencies have been changed back to, I assume, defaults. Maybe I'm throwing caution to the wind, but it's working, it was a good install, it resolved an issue I had previously with losing bottom occasionally and I'm quite pleased with the results. Maybe it will burn up a piezo next time out, but if it's worked for almost a year, seems like it will continue to work. We'll see.

You are OK as long as you don't ping a HW piezo with 83 kHz. That is the whole point of this thread.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

16. Member

DI:

SI:

Cheers... Steve
    Steve, I'm wondering if you ever got the DI working again while the HW transducer was installed? My DI stopped as well, presumably as a result of the update. I am stuck with the new HW transducer because it's a thru-hull model, and the old one was destroyed during its removal (the HB epoxy is serious stuff).

Back to the top
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Back to the top
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL