Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Commenting to bring this topic back to current time so it is not forgotten.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    I am glad to did as I forgot about it. I only have one Helix 10 Chirp SI GPS G2N left on the boat. The one on the console was replaced with a Helix 12 Chirp Mega SI+ G3N and the XM 9 HW MSI T ducer replaced the XM 9 20 MSI T on the Transom. The Helix 12 Chirp Mega DI+ G3N on the bow is going to be hooked to the Mini Kota DI+ ducer and a Mega 360 via Y cable. That leaves the one Helix 10 Chirp SI GPS G2N on the bow also with no ducer hooked to it it shares ducers over Eithernet with the SI+ and DI+ and Mega 360. Software update is the new one so I should be safe. Am I right? Don
    Don Johnson
    U S Navy ATC Retired
    NE Florida
    Boat Name TRON
    Crestliner VT 18 DX
    Bow
    Helix 12 Chirp Mega DI+ G3N w/Mega 360 mounted of Fishing Specialties 360 Mount
    Helix 10 Chirp Mega SI G2N
    Garmin GPSMAP 1042 XSV w/LiveScope mounted on Fishing Specialties Bowducer Assy
    Mini Kota Ulterra
    Console
    Helix 12 Chirp Mega SI+ G3N
    Garmin GPSMap 922
    Humminbird PiranaMAX for high speed depth readings

Quote Originally Posted by D Johnson View Post
    I am glad to did as I forgot about it. I only have one Helix 10 Chirp SI GPS G2N left on the boat. The one on the console was replaced with a Helix 12 Chirp Mega SI+ G3N and the XM 9 HW MSI T ducer replaced the XM 9 20 MSI T on the Transom. The Helix 12 Chirp Mega DI+ G3N on the bow is going to be hooked to the Mini Kota DI+ ducer and a Mega 360 via Y cable. That leaves the one Helix 10 Chirp SI GPS G2N on the bow also with no ducer hooked to it it shares ducers over Eithernet with the SI+ and DI+ and Mega 360. Software update is the new one so I should be safe. Am I right? Don
    Yes, PLUS all units need to be updated to the current software version.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

4. Member
    Thanks Wayne they have so I am good to go fishing. Crappies are waiting. Don
    Don Johnson
    U S Navy ATC Retired
    NE Florida
    Boat Name TRON
    Crestliner VT 18 DX
    Bow
    Mini Kota Ulterra
    Console
    Garmin GPSMap 922

5. Member
    Has someone used a multimeter and measured the resistance of the 2D element in both versions of transducers?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassTracker175 View Post
    Has someone used a multimeter and measured the resistance of the 2D element in both versions of transducers?
    Is is not resistance but impedance that is the problem. With out having to write a text book about the difference the I will just say that impedance is the resistance to a AC current. It changes as the frequency of the current changes. So if the ducers impedence is wrong you get to much current there fore the ducer has to be matched to the transmitting source. Resistance is measures with a DC ohms meter. I am not going into the formula for inpedance as is has been to many years ago I used them. Resistance used Ohm's Law. Don
    Don Johnson
    U S Navy ATC Retired
    NE Florida
    Boat Name TRON
    Crestliner VT 18 DX
    Bow
    Mini Kota Ulterra
    Console
    Garmin GPSMap 922

Is is not resistance but impedance that is the problem. With out having to write a text book about the difference the I will just say that impedance is the resistance to a AC current. It changes as the frequency of the current changes. So if the ducers impedence is wrong you get to much current there fore the ducer has to be matched to the transmitting source. Resistance is measures with a DC ohms meter. I am not going into the formula for inpedance as is has been to many years ago I used them. Resistance used Ohm's Law. Don
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

Zeq = + j = at phase . Zeq = + j = at phase ?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by InternationalMarine Brian View Post
    DANG, you beat me to it!

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by InternationalMarine Brian View Post
    Your hurting this 70 yr olds mind!

Show offs ....

12. Member
    You are absolutely right on this! I saw “resistance” above so I just used it, leaving a “hole” in my statement.

13. Member
    I couldn't remember that math when I took rating exams in the Navy maybe that is why it took me so long to make Chief. I am 73 now and don't even remember where I put my electronics books. Don
    Don Johnson
    U S Navy ATC Retired
    NE Florida
    Boat Name TRON
    Crestliner VT 18 DX
    Bow
    Mini Kota Ulterra
    Console
    Garmin GPSMap 922

I couldn't remember that math when I took rating exams in the Navy maybe that is why it took me so long to make Chief. I am 73 now and don't even remember where I put my electronics books. Don
    That's where I learned my electronics also ...... I don't think there was a more comprehensive electronics program. I had to up for 2 years to get it, but didn't stay long enough to make chief.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    I'm grateful you did I saw this thread today after Humminbird earlier telling me not to. I wanted to make sure with you I understand correctly.
    I've got a Solix12si(g1)with latest update and using original transome transducer that came with unit. I want to purchase a transome 2D low q transducer and split with y cable so I can still have si/di, so as long as I follow the instructions in post # 26 I'd be ok ?
    Parts needed I think XNT 14 HW T and 14 M SIDB Y-14pin ?
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by deadadrift89 View Post
    I'm grateful you did I saw this thread today after Humminbird earlier telling me not to. I wanted to make sure with you I understand correctly.
    I've got a Solix12si(g1)with latest update and using original transome transducer that came with unit. I want to purchase a transome 2D low q transducer and split with y cable so I can still have si/di, so as long as I follow the instructions in post # 26 I'd be ok ?
    Parts needed I think XNT 14 HW T and 14 M SIDB Y-14pin ?
    Thank you
    Yes correct parts.

It's different with a SOLIX.

Go to the Setup menu
    CHIRP Sonar tab
    Sonar Source, select
    Over to Transducer Setting, select
    Auto Configure OFF
    Down to 2D Frequency Capability
    Choose HB High CHIRP

Since SOLIX units and their transducers have Auto Detect, the SI transducer chooses the frequencies. You have to keep it from doing that with the above.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

17. Member
    It's different with a SOLIX.

Go to the Setup menu
    CHIRP Sonar tab
    Sonar Source, select
    Over to Transducer Setting, select
    Auto Configure OFF
    Down to 2D Frequency Capability
    Choose HB High CHIRP

Since SOLIX units and their transducers have Auto Detect, the SI transducer chooses the frequencies. You have to keep it from doing that with the above.[/QUOTE]

Much appreciated!!

Please excuse my confusion with this topic. I just purchased a Solix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G2 last month, with included transducer XM 14 HW MSIT, I also ordered a MEGA 360 along with the needed M360-2DDI-Y-MEGA 360 2D/MDI 14-PIN Y-CABLE. I’ve received the Solix 15 with it’s listed/included transducer & my Y-Cable and waiting on my Mega 360 to arrive. I’ve been working on my installation and real close to firing up the unit for the first time. When I go to update the units software to current software (providing or assuming the unit needs updated as it was just purchased 12/3/19). Will I need to follow these notes & better understand them, or is this warning for the 2017 & 2018 units only? Thank You!

Oh yeah, I purchased the AS GPS HS PRECISION ANTENNA WITH HEADING SENSOR too! So I can mark waypoints with my Mega 360.. I’ve learned a ton of knowledge from all you folks during my research & as I was building my Humminbird purchase! I’m in debt to you good people.
    Last edited by NeonBass; 01-10-2020 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NeonBass View Post
    Please excuse my confusion with this topic. I just purchased a Solix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G2 last month, with included transducer XM 14 HW MSIT, I also ordered a MEGA 360 along with the needed M360-2DDI-Y-MEGA 360 2D/MDI 14-PIN Y-CABLE. I’ve received the Solix 15 with it’s listed/included transducer & my Y-Cable and waiting on my Mega 360 to arrive. I’ve been working on my installation and real close to firing up the unit for the first time. When I go to update the units software to current software (providing or assuming the unit needs updated as it was just purchased 12/3/19). Will I need to follow these notes & better understand them, or is this warning for the 2017 & 2018 units only? Thank You!

Oh yeah, I purchased the AS GPS HS PRECISION ANTENNA WITH HEADING SENSOR too! So I can mark waypoints with my Mega 360.. I’ve learned a ton of knowledge from all you folks during my research & as I was building my Humminbird purchase! I’m in debt to you good people.

The G2 has standard HW CHIRP, you do not have to do anything.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

20. Member
    So I received my new Helix 12 HW SI GN2 from Cabelas and i want to buy the shoot thru hull transducer and y cabel. What are the model numbers of the transducer and y cable i need to purchase? I will update my unit also.
    Thanks Scott

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast