Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinnerb8 View Post
    Well I've read through all the responses and I'm still not sure what I'm reading. So I just bought the 9 HW thru hull to put on my new Helix 12 G2N that came from BPS with the new HW transducer. So am I good to install it with the Y cable or no?
    I have the same setup and am wondering the same thing. I tried it out last weekend and worked fine.

2. Member
    I've been running the XP 9 HW transducer for several months now. It is hooked up to my Helix 10 SI Mega Chirp G2N unit via the 9 M SIDB Y cable. I guess I can switch over to my old transducer still in the bilge alongside the HW transducer. Just a matter of disconnecting/connecting the cables under the console. Left the old transducer there as a backup just in case.

So damn many issues with HB any more that it makes me regret not switching to Lowrance when I had the chance as I replaced my 998s with Helix units.

3. Member
    If it works why would you switch? Until Humminbird has an official statement this is just a rumor. Has anyone had any hardware problems that is using an HW transducer on a Y cable? Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    If it works why would you switch? Until Humminbird has an official statement this is just a rumor. Has anyone had any hardware problems that is using an HW transducer on a Y cable? Bob
    Why wait until I see damage done? Then it might ge awfully expensive to fix.

5. Member
    Please understand ... the only info from HB we have at this time is the 1st line customer service reply noted at sideimagingsoft from that poster noted in post #1 of this thread ... and my contact confirming the info ...

We must realize that “just because it works” doesn’t mean that HB is going to warranty your product if it fails ... (I can run US2 and a Y cable thru a numbered core series DI unit and it works - but my warranty is voided as per the Minn Kota compatibility website) ...

Now I agree we don’t have definitive public documentation from HB that its not OK ... but we also don’t have definitive public documentation from HB that it is OK (as far as warranty) ...

Remember ... a warranty protects the “company” as much (or more) than it protects the user ...

It’s your warranty - do what you want (I frequently push outside the warranty - but that’s my choice) ...

Personally I will not recommend this Setup to users on the forums until we have a better understanding ...

(Note: There are others that are checking with their sources) ...

Rickie
    Last edited by rnvinc; 12-13-2019 at 09:32 PM.

Here is the short version of the damage concern:

The G2N SI 2017/2018 unit's default 2D frequency is 83/200 kHz. 83 kHz is too powerful for the HW piezo. If your unit does not have a setting to change to HW CHIRP, do not connect a transducer to it that has HW in the model name. If you do, the HW piezo will burn out, maybe cause a short circuit and damage the unit processor. The only way to have HW 2D is to change the setting to Built-in HW+MSI. Use that setting if you have it or install software that provides that setting.

Before you make that change, go to the Setup menu and write down the default settings for Start and End frequencies CHIRP SI and CHIRP DI. After you do the Connected Transducer change, go back to the Setup menu and change the frequency spectrums back to the original numbers. That way your unit will perform as designed with its included SI transducer.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

So .... There's only a problem if the transducer selection isn't done correctly .... and the default transducer setting will not be correct?

I suspect it is the same with the DI units and US2 ..... If the transducer setting is correct there won't be a problem.
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob B View Post
    So .... There's only a problem if the transducer selection isn't done correctly .... and the default transducer setting will not be correct?

I suspect it is the same with the DI units and US2 ..... If the transducer setting is correct there won't be a problem.
    I think the concern is that the Connected Transducer default setting in G2N older software is “MEGA Imaging” but doesn’t say anything about 200kHz/83kHz ... and 83kHz is the damage concern ...

As Wayne noted - to use any HW xducer - only use a Connected Transducer selection of “Built in HW+MSI” ... or update software to get that selection ...

That should set the 2d transmitter to push the HW piezo correctly ...

Rickie
    Last edited by rnvinc; 12-14-2019 at 12:24 PM.

9. Member
    OK, I've made changes to my setup (Helix 10 SI Mega Chirp G2N unit using an XP 9 HW transducer in the bilge and a Mega Y cable) based on what I've read here and responses to PMs.

- Connected Transducer = Built-In HW+MSI
    - Display Frequency = High (Do not use the Low or Medium setting as that would damage the HW piezo and the unit for reasons mentioned above by Rickie and Wayne)
    - 2D Sonar Chirp Frequency = Start 140 kHz, End 240 kHz
    - DI Chirp = 1150 - 1275
    - SI Chirp = 1150 - 1275
    - Display Spectrum = Full
    - Di Display Spectrum = Mega Chirp
    - SI Display Spectrum = Mega Chirp

If I understand this issue correctly, with these settings I can continue to use my HW transducer with this unit and Y cable w/o damaging the transducer and/or unit. Basically, these settings avoid using the Med or Low frequencies which can cause the damage HB has warned us about.

This is a critical issue for those of us using the HW transducer on a G2 unit via a 9 M SIDB Y cable, so free to review, comment, correct anything I've misunderstood.
    Last edited by BrownTrout; 12-16-2019 at 08:14 AM.

The extra step to actually set the frequency ranges makes it more complicated ..... and may be why Humminbird was recommending not to use this combination. A user will have to remember to do these settings any time the device is reset to default thru the life of the setup.

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

Quote Originally Posted by Bob B View Post
    The extra step to actually set the frequency ranges makes it more complicated ..... and may be why Humminbird was recommending not to use this combination. A user will have to remember to do these settings any time the device is reset to default thru the life of the setup.
    Good catch
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

12. Member
    Just so I understand, those of us that just purchased the Cabelas/ BPS g2n Helix 10 with the HW transducer is ok to run the HW shoot thru transducer with y cable. Correct?

Quote Originally Posted by mkm View Post
    Just so I understand, those of us that just purchased the Cabelas/ BPS g2n with the HW transducer is ok to run the HW shoot thru transducer with y cable. Correct?
    Yes your unit is already tuned to the included transducer which includes the HW piezo and the settings to use it.
    The only thing you would be doing is changing the location of the HW piezo.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

14. Member
    Thanks Wayne, PM sent also with another question.

Quote Originally Posted by mkm View Post
    Thanks Wayne, PM sent also with another question.
    "DANGER Will Roberston DANGER"---quote from Lost in Space.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

16. Member
    Brown trout and others... did You have to change the chirping ranges for the 800 and 455 ranges as well or just set the mega ranges appropriately?

Quote Originally Posted by Coachzee20 View Post
    Brown trout and others... did You have to change the chirping ranges for the 800 and 455 ranges as well or just set the mega ranges appropriately?
    If you want all the frequencies to function at their best, you change all the frequency spectrums to match the connected transducer.
    If you don't use any of the other frequencies, it makes no difference.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

18. Member
    This thread has been a lot of help and I think is going to save me a lot of money. I just installed a Helix 12 Chirp Mega DI G3N CHO on the bow replacing a Helix 9 Mega SI GN2 GPS getting ready for Mega 360. I have it connected to the Mega DI ducer on the Ulterra right now and will need the mega Y cable to connect the Mega 360. Right how it is connected to the old 360 by Ethernet. I have another 10" Mega SI G2N GPS on the bow and one on the console. I was thing I was going to have to replace both of those with new Mega SI+ units with a XM 9 HW MSI /T ducer on the stern. If I am reading all these post right all I need is the ducer and will just loose the low freqs and some range. I don't use the low freqs and seldom run the range pass 80' anyway. I down loaded the update for the G2N units also. Don

Quote Originally Posted by D Johnson View Post
    This thread has been a lot of help and I think is going to save me a lot of money. I just installed a Helix 12 Chirp Mega DI G3N CHO on the bow replacing a Helix 9 Mega SI GN2 GPS getting ready for Mega 360. I have it connected to the Mega DI ducer on the Ulterra right now and will need the mega Y cable to connect the Mega 360. Right how it is connected to the old 360 by Ethernet. I have another 10" Mega SI G2N GPS on the bow and one on the console. I was thing I was going to have to replace both of those with new Mega SI+ units with a XM 9 HW MSI /T ducer on the stern. If I am reading all these post right all I need is the ducer and will just loose the low freqs and some range. I don't use the low freqs and seldom run the range pass 80' anyway. I down loaded the update for the G2N units also. Don

That makes no sense.
    The only frequencies you loose is the 2D 83/200 kHz and that is replaced by HW CHIRP. You don't loose any of the Imaging frequencies.
    A G3N has the same Imaging frequencies as the G2N.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

20. Member
    Sorry Wayne I guess I didn't have my mind wrapped around this using a XM 9 HW MSI /T with my old G2N units. I only use D2 to the bow unit that is used for Navigation My fishing buddy runs it and the tm while we push jigs for crappies. I use the two 12" units one for LiveScope and the other for SI or 360. The 2 units on the console are only used one for nav and the other SI when running to the area we are fishing for the day. being all these lakes are small we fish that is for very long. I leave the Helix 10 on because it is connected to the ducer on the transom which is shared over the network. Guess I will get a new ducer then for the transom. Don

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast