Thread: Death Wobble

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Truck chine walk!

2. Member
    Has happened to me once in my 03 lifted Ruby. I feel like I caused it, was approaching a rough bridge and I had to alter my line to the right rather than left because of oncoming traffic. The county put up a rough road/25mph sign before the bridge rather than fixing the problem. Most people, including myself, ignore it. Well, I hit worse bumps going right, that coupled with steering input and it started. I hit the brakes hard and pulled over, it stopped fairly quickly when I got it down to about 20. Never happened before and hasn't happened again with numerous passes over that bridge at speed, but it was a moment I'll never forget. I know what it feels like coming on now, like a tire bad out of balance.

3. Member
    Actually it is Steering Bump. Caused by heavy loads or something throwing steering geometry out of it’s desired angles. Other things can cause it also but if all steering parts are in perfect condition this is the cause. The Ford tractor mentioned may have been from a worn part or two. On a vehicle with a small angle for steering geometry even worn tires can cause it. Such as some Older Jeep products.

Ford F 350

Mike Beachy 2020 TRX 21 250 Pro XS 4S

Old Ford trucks with the twin I-beam suspension were known for the death wobble. King pin bushings wore out.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

6. Member
    I have 3 friends with brand new f250s and they are all in the shop for this

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    Truck chine walk!
    Funny comparison, when I had it before I fixed it I could speed up and drive through it.

8. Member
    Lift a truck and put bigger tires on it and parts wear out fast

9. Member
    Every day in our 2018 gas burner Ford F250s we have a complaint of it happening

1996 Suzuki RMX 250 two stroke dirt bike wide open on a Forest Service road, felt like I was going to get thrown off from the bike. Just had to ride it out.

11. Member
    Had the "death wobble" happen while landing in a Beechcraft Bonanza airplane many years ago. The nose wheel stabilizer broke, causing the plane to shake violently on the runway. I was very apprehensive about taking off after the stabilizer was repaired.
    2000 Viper Coral 202
    2013 Pro XS 200

12. Member
    Became pretty common in my lifted grand cherokee
    About every yr had to replace the track bar bushings
    Finally had some solid ones made and hasn't been an issue since been about 3yrs although I haven't driven it much in the last yr
    Super sketchy with a trailer behind it!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123