Thread: Death Wobble

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    I have seen it in a pinewood derby car. u going to b slow.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    Motorcycle death wobble or tank slapping has got to be a lot worse. There has been many a man killed when that happened at high speeds.
    Not happened to me but I saw it happen once. Rider and passenger went sliding across the pavement. Lucky it just ripped some skin off . Got both back on the bike and away they went.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fastfiat View Post
    Only in my blown altered drag car.
    Isn't that what killed Eric Medlan?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 12poundbass View Post
    Isn't that what killed Eric Medlan?
    Not really...severe tire shake took him out of the groove and into the fence. The blow he took with his head to the cage caused a very bad closed head injury. Tire shake is different than the jeep "death wobble"
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

02 Ford F-350 tow truck we had for a short while .. if you hit an expansion joint on the highway you better be ready .. nothing you could do but pull over and get below 10
    Mph.. the entire body would start shaking violently like a wheel was falling off .. dual steering stabilizers .. Ford looked at it .. we looked at it .. the shop after us looked at it ... they kept it as a city truck and it still does it

Make sure suspension & steering have no play, if it has a steering damper replace it with a heavy duty after market unit,
    Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
    but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
    RLC

If it's happening on a vehicle with a solid front axle with coil springs, there can be many culprits. First thing is to check tire wear and balance and alignment. If that's all good, then you need to look at the suspension components like the upper and lower control arms and the track bar. If their tight, then you'll need to check the bushings and the mounting holes to make sure they're not wallered out or worn. Many people will say to replace or upgrade the steering damper but this does not fix the problem, it will only hide it.
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    2005 Lund Rebel SS 1650 w/25 HP Merc 4-stroke
    USAF 1985 - 2006 NKAWTG!

8. Member
    I had belts break in tires and worn out ball joints.
    Praying for a Cure

9. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    That happens to heavily modified wranglers somewhat often. The price you pay for driving an off road vehicle on the highway.
    Had it often with 40" tires on a wrangler, installed a redneck ram (hydraulic assist) Never had it again even with 49" tires and yes 49" is not a typo. It is scary.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

It happened to me driving a Jeep in 1976 when I was 19. I was driving well a used company vehicle in rush hour freeway traffic. At 60 mph with no warning everything started shaking so violently I couldn't even see. I just moved to the right and braked until I slid along the guard rail. I still can't belief I didn't wreck anybody; they all must have backed off. The steering box broke off the frame and the front end basically came apart. 10x more than anything I have ever experience driving, flying or boating.

11. Member
    Aftermarket deep offset wheels make it more susceptible too

12. Banned
    97 Ford did it all the time. Slow until it corrects and carry on.

I was riding with an old timer going to Santee one spring in his Chevy truck towing his Ranger. We were on I-26 when his truck started doing the boogaloo! I had never seen such a thing happen. He got it under control and we continued down the road. Then, I was driving my buddy’s Ram towing his Ranger to the Ranger M1 tournament in Mobile, AL and the same thing happened to us. I backed off the accelerator and gently applied the brakes and it stopped dancing. We went on with the rest of the trip without incident. Scary!
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

14. Member
    New fords have this problem. My bosses truck went into one after hitting an expansion joint on a bridge and I literally almost crapped myself. There is a bushing for them that wears out in the front end and bingo, no control.... Been 3 weeks trying to order new parts and he just keeps getting told they are on back order.... Sounds like time for a recall to me.

Had a upper ball joint fail on a dodge dakota, going about 60 on a county road. Came over a hill, front end started wobbling. Thought I blew a tire, as I was slowing down I saw my tire and wheel laying in the road. Crashed into field. Was really glad I wasn't on a major highway.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

16. Member
    My 2019 f250 6.7 has it. Pretty scary when it happens on the highway at 75mph. Took it in for warranty and they said it was the steering stabilizer, and they are on back order. They did confirm it was a known issue and there are a lot of bad ones out there. All I know is when it happens, you know what it’s like for a can of paint in one of those shakers at the paint store.

17. Member
    My rental the last couple days in Detroit is a Jeep Wrangler and it’s happened about 20 times. It’s amazing that we don’t hear more about this. My daughter wants a Jeep when she’s 26. No way I’m gonna let that happen.

Quote Originally Posted by jrbdad View Post
    ^^^ THIS. A lot of vehicles have steering stabilizers to try and keep it from happening.
    That's what happened to my 89 Wrangler.

---------------------------------------
    2011 Skeeter ZX200 w/SHO 200.

19. Member
    1996, annual "Isle of Vashon" motorcycle gathering.

Before it became a heavily policed 'parade'! Our first hot lap around the island and I encountered 'rough patch of road' that started a tank slapper at about 130mph...yanked the throttle to get the wheel up and she smoothed right out!

1994 Honda CBR900R....ahhhhhh the good ol' days! When in doubt GAS IT!

20. Member
    Once on a 1978 Kawasaki KZ1000 and a 1974 Ford half ton pu. Sold the bike after that. The pickup only did it at about 45 mph. It would almost shake the fenders off. New tires solved the problem.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast