Mike@1954 Ranger361V

Just got a Ranger361V with a 150 Mercury XRI what are some things to look for in this motor ?

2. Scraps
    Compression, lower unit condition, motor mounts. Maybe most importantly fuel line condition. If it hasn't been changed probably needs an upgrade to be compatible with today's ethanol fuel.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Mike- Welcome to BBC!

If you would, please take a couple moments to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (Serial Number) when posting. Thanks!

Good suggestions above. I would add water pump, careful visual inspection for any hoses/wiring in need of replacement, REEDS (I recommend and sell TDR), and determine if the Fuel Injectors have been validated, cleaned, serviced (and if necessary, calibrated).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Thanks, Iam taking it to the shop in January to get tuned up and checked out and Iam going to have it raised 1 inch up on the jack plate the hydraulic steering elbow is rubbing on the top transom Mount

5. Member
    be sure to watch water psi on that boat after raising mtr, prefer 15psi at wot, some say 12 tendacy to fall out in long turns
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................