Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best Frog Set-Up...like Ribbit or ZOOM.

I lost two good fish yesterday on a frog like a Ribbit frog..grrrrr. I did not get a good hookset I guess. On the double hook I have I don't think there is enough room between the hooks for the frog to slide down enough but I'm not sure......but I might be overthinking it.... I am at a loss and pizzed.

I don't know for sure what hook I have on there now. I should know but don't. I have not bought any for quite a while. I THINK it is a Stanley.

I used to use a single hook 5/0 but was missing fish and changed to a double hook. I think the hook up was better.

I am going to have to buy some more hooks. I am thinking Owner, but looking for advice. I am seeing some with a little trailer hook. I buy Ribbit frogs and Zoom toads and Bitters frogs. These hooks are expensive and I want to order and rig as best as I can., but after yesterday I am going to change something.... any advice or tips on what hook and frog is appreciated.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

2. Member
    I personally like a single 5/0 EWG. I feel like it lets the plastic pull down the hook easier than a double hook that acts like it wants to stretch the bait. 7’2”mh fast action rod, #40 braid. The rod I use loads a hair deeper into the blank than many fast action rods

3. Member
    I open up the hooks slightly, use 65# braid on an 8'10" Kistler heavy moderate rod, wait a couple of seconds, tighten, then pull hard, (not jerk). With the long rod I skate most of them on top immediately. (Double hooks)

I fish Ribbits quite a bit. I’ve always used Stanley double hooks or Owner double hooks. I have noticed the weighted seem to get me more hookups. Could maybe be because the bait tends to roll over to the correct position? IDK. 50# braid on a 7’4” Heavy Fast rod with an 8.1:1 reel. I let them take it under before I bow up on the hookset.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

5. Member
    I use a 7'4" heavy action fast tip rod with an 8:1 reel spooled with 50lb power pro.
    Brad Krone

6. Member
    I use the Stanley double hooks, 50# braid on a 7’ medium hvy,fast tip rod. I can throw the Ribbit better with that rod. The newer Stanley hooks are much better than the old style, lot heavier wire.

7. Member
    With toad type baits, I think the most important part is to hold the rod tip high while reeling and drop the rod tip when you get the strike,reel till you feel pressure and then hit them with a hard hookset. I do use a single 1/8 weighted hook.

8. Member
    5/0 Gama Skip Gap and haven't lost any that I was able to set the hook on.

Heavier hook will get it to run with the barb up. I noticed with lighter/medium hooks they'd run up, down and spin at times.
    Scott
    Stratos 285XL

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Jackson View Post
    I open up the hooks slightly, use 65# braid on an 8'10" Kistler heavy moderate rod, wait a couple of seconds, tighten, then pull hard, (not jerk). With the long rod I skate most of them on top immediately. (Double hooks)
    8’10”?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbassdaddy1190 View Post
    8’10”?
    Yes. I think I bought the last 2 he made. Also great for swimbaits up to about 4 oz. (up to 9" slammers and 8" Tripple trouts. Heavier stuff goes on my 8' swimbait rod for 2 to 8 oz baits.)
    For schooling fish, I makes easy 200+ foot throws with a 150 shower blows. Almost spools my Revo Inshore reels.

12. Member
    I had better luck with small 3 to 4/0 single Hook

I have been working on my Toad setup for several years and tried several iterations, including double hooks. I was disappointed in the double hook and am currently using a single swim bait hook with a screw lock keeper. I also punch a hole in the toad for the hook shaft to pass through. This is by far the best setup I have come up with.
    My favorite Toad rod is an old 7 foot Berkeley Series One heavy action with a 7.2 ratio reel and 65# braid, but I am considering changing to floro line.
    My current rig worked well in Minnesota last fall when I had about a 90% hook ratio, but I have seen days when the fish are just not taking the frog.
    Rod and body position is important, if the fish knocks slack in your line, he’s not coming to the boat.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

14. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    I use a 5/0 Mustad 1/8 oz weighted swimbait hook for toads - https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Must...e-MPLPSKW.html.

These hooks will keep the hook point up and the weight isn't so much that you can't drag it slowly across a mat.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

Thanks to everybody. I am pretty happy with the rod, reel and line set up. They have been successful in the past and I don't think I'll change....
    The hook is a different story.
    I fish frogs in Florida a LOT..... For the last couple of years, I have fished the double hook and thought I had found my best system.... I had much better luck than my single hook. That's just a seat of the pants feeling though....not something I would take to the bank. But now I am missing some fish that could just be coincidental... I need to buy hooks anyway so I thought I would get some advice since the double hooks are about 4-5 bucks each... I thought maybe there's a better mousetrap out there and I am never too old to learn from others. Thanks.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

Sometimes they just don't eat them good, if thats the case your just not going to get them. I use the Stanley Ribbet from hooks and don't have an issue, that said, sometimes they just don't eat them good.
    Key items for from fishing.
    1. A stout rod in MH minimum 6'6'' - 7'6''.
    2. Good 50-65 pound braid
    3. A good hook, the Stanley hook is fine.
    4. A good reel that allows you to cast the bait far and allows you to tighten down the drag so it don't slip on the hook set.
    5. Wait a couple seconds before setting the hook, feel weight is good then set like a mad man.
    Just remember, you won't get them all.
    Did I mention, sometimes they just don't eat them good?
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

17. aka Strokedyamaha StrokerSmoker's Avatar
    I use a 4/0 gama ewg hook open just resting on a ribbits back

Hi performance parts or a Yamaha power head visit
    Hydro-Tec's web site @ http://www.yamaha-rebuild.com/
    Paul Hottman Hydro-Tec's Pro staff since 1998

18. Member
    I like the Secret Lure Chubby Frog when I fish a toad. But no matter what plastic I use, I throw a Stanley Dbl Take hook with 50lb braid on 7’4 heavy with a softer tip and heavy backbone. Almost never miss a fish that actually eats the bait. I can’t do anything about those that just roll it or miss it.

19. Member
    Throw a trailer hook on

20. Member
    Well if you ask 100 people, you'll get 100 different answers. So here's mine:
    I use a 7' MH rod, #65 Power Pro, #3 Gamakatsu EWG Super Line Hook, double Palomar knot. I frog fish 75% of the time when the weather is right. In my experience, I've found that the key to successful hook up is that slight pause after the blow up and setting the hook on a tight line.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast