Thread: Sealing cork

Sealing cork

I’ve heard numerous folks mention sealing the cork on high end rods to prolong cork life I assume? Does it work? What do y’all use to seal it?

2. Member
    It does work pretty good. They can still get grime on the handle but not like an unsealed handle would look. I use U40 cork sealer you can purchase from the tackle trap

3. Member
    Thanks revo

Yup, first thing I do when I purchase a new rod is add U-40 cork seal, good stuff.

Jury is still out on U40 for me. Not sure how well it soaks into the cork. Once I hit it with a magic eraser at the end of the season I am assuming that most of that sealer gets taken off. Magic eraser then some elmers wood filler to fill in the cracks...sand smooth...good as new.

6. Scraps
    Been using U-40 for a long time and find it really keeps the cork clean and makes cleaning easier. I'm trying a cheaper alternative right now, forget the name, but is working well and is half the cost of the U-40. Which doesn't mean much cuzz one bottle has lasted me five years and I have a rod collecting addiction.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

7. Member
    Works well and cleans easy for me. Cheap investment to keep longevity of the cork.

8. Member
    I forgot to add that for some reason It will take a bit extra on some rods. I have owned quite a few Kistlers of various models and it still seems the cork will get filthy rather quick even with the U40 so on rods with that super porous cork i would more than likely do two coats. i try not to put it on super thick because it does change the feeling of the cork in the end but the Kistler rods i have owned i put a little extra on. Basically any rod with that type of cork will need a bit more of u 40

New rods get a quick wash and rinse using a Magic Eraser, let them dry a few hours, and then a thin, even coat of U40 cork sealer. I don’t add multiple coats, just add thin, even layers until the cork won’t suck up any more. Then lightly wipe off any excess and let it dry.
    Older rods previously sealed with U40 get scrubbed with Dawn and a Magic Eraser each Winter. They clean right up. I re-seal every 2-3 seasons.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

10. Member
    one coat of U40 ideally when rod is new. I notice no pitting in any new rod once the U40 was applied in my boat.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947