Cost of changing trolling motor

I would like to change over to a 24v from 12v trolling motor. Without factoring in the cost of the motor what amount am I looking at for the extra battery. wire, charger and other costs. A ballpark figure is fine. I would have the work done by a dealer or boat shop. My boat is a 2013 175 TXW. Thanks.

2. Banned
    If I was doing this project for myself. Here is what it would probably cost me in parts/components assuming I was going to replace with new/larger wire.

40 ft 6 ga. tinned marine wire. $52
    27M Battery $125
    2 bank charger. $125
    60 amp Buss breaker $15
    Battery hold down. $15
    Misc.screws,wire connectors ect. $15 +/-

Total parts $347

If you are going to purchase the parts from your Marina/repair shop, the parts cost would probably be double what I listed above. I would imagine repair shop time would be around 4-8 hrs @ $100-$130 per/hr depending on how many coffee breaks,dumps,texts to wife,Facebook checks and lunch the repair person/s take.
    Last edited by mxmike; 12-12-2019 at 05:45 AM.

3. Member
    When I installed my 24V trolling motor on my boat I didn't have to change the wire or breaker, both were in speck for the amp draw.

Unless you're willing to run two chargers you'll need a three bank charger (two banks for trolling batteries, one for starting battery). I use a Minn Kota 315 (5 amps per bank) @ $200.00
    If your present trolling battery is older I would buy two trolling batteries to keep them matched (+/- $250.00)
    Battery tray $15 - 20
    If you decide to do it yourself you'll need a jumper wire to connect the two batteries. I used a 4 gauge lawn mower battery wire from an auto parts store ($5)

I had obtained a quote from a dealer on doing the change over for me. Since it was two years ago I don't recall the exact dollar amount but it was somewhere in the neighbor hood of $300.00 for labor.

I did the work myself and it took maybe two hours for motor, battery and charger change out.
    2018 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX
    115 Mercury Pro XS 4S

4. Member
    You can double check yourself but I believe the 2013 models already come with 6awg wire. If that is the case, you’re saving a bit right there. And really, if it does come with 6awg, there is absolutely no reason to have a dealer do it.

3 bank charger and two new batteries will be all that you need. I bought my charter used (and it’s still working for the new owner) and spend 3 hours changing everything over.

When I did the upgrade I bought the following

Minnkota quick release bracket
    Minnkota plug and 6awg adapter
    Minnkota resettable breaker
    40ish feet of 6awg tinned wire
    Self soldering ends
    Two batteries
    Mk330 charger (used)

I think i was about $600 all said and done but again, I replaced everything.

5. Member
    Thanks guys. Guess I'll be doing it myself next year. Boat is put away till next spring.

6. Member
    That would be your best bet if you have basic mechanical skills. As said earlier your boat probably has 6# wire. Depending on what TM you have now and what you are wanting to buy the mounting holes will probably match up.
    When you’re ready to do it you can get lots of info on here and the Trolling Motor and Electronic forum.

7. Member
    When I bought mine I paid for the new motor. They provided another battery and the labor in exchange for the 55 pound edge that came on it. Sounded good to me as the money I could recoup for it out of box would probably not be that much.

8. Member
    What year is the boat? My 2005 PT175 had wiring for 24 volt but had a stock 12 volt on it! I called Tracker to find out about the wiring and they said it was wired for 24 volt! It worked fine until I decided to put TM batteries in front!

I pick up my new boat today and they quoted me $55 to put in battery and min. $220 for the TM plus I would have to change the TM breaker at my cost. Long story short new TM, charger are on the way will p/u battery local and save min. $250. What size breaker is required for 24V, 60 Amp??
    1995 Viper 201D
    1995 Johnson Venom 200
    Gas mileage is for sissies

10. Member
    One thing to keep in mind is that a different troll motor might change the fit of your boat cover.....

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    I pick up my new boat today and they quoted me $55 to put in battery and min. $220 for the TM plus I would have to change the TM breaker at my cost. Long story short new TM, charger are on the way will p/u battery local and save min. $250. What size breaker is required for 24V, 60 Amp??
    Depends on the model. Most are 60 but a few of the lower thrust models may be 50.

12. Member
    Definitely go with the 6 gauge wire anytime you're going up to a 24v. motor. And use a 60 amp breaker. A Fortrex 80 for example can draw up to 56amp.

My 2013 PT 190 came stock with 8gauge wire and I replaced mine with 6 when I upgraded to the Fortrex 80.