Speedo and tach repair

My 1997 speedo is sitting at 20 mph when idle and my tach bounces all over the place.
    Can they be repaired?
    1997 Ranger 692VS
    2014 Mercury 175 Pro XS 2B111166

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I did a quick Google search and did indeed find places that repair both marine speedometers and tachometers. Unfortunately, the small sample of pricing that I saw suggested it might be more economical to simply replace them. Of course, after a 5-minute search I could definitely be wrong.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Member
    There are a few post on here about the tach. bouncing around. Mine did it and I turned the screw on the back to clean the contacts and reset it to the original position. My tach. worked like a brand new one. I did not move It far in either direction. The speedometer may have frozen.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dclayton View Post
    There are a few post on here about the tach. bouncing around. Mine did it and I turned the screw on the back to clean the contacts and reset it to the original position. My tach. worked like a brand new one. I did not move It far in either direction. The speedometer may have frozen.
    My tach was bouncing a little as well- I moved the selector on the back a few times and it cleared mine up as well.

The speedometer may be water pressure trapped in the tube due to a clogged inlet. I frequently have to use a drill bit and turn by hand to clear mine out.

5. Member
    Thanks guys.

I'll pull them out and see if cleaning the contacts on the tach and blowing air through the speedo helps.

Sucks that I can't test them for 5 months.
    1997 Ranger 692VS

For the speedo, I use a drill by hand an clean out the water hole in the front of the lower unit. It usually only last a trip or two before it plugs again tho. I use GPS speed on my graphs to go by. I've been thinking of removing the Speedo and replace it with a Radio. They make one that is the same size as the hole where the speedo goes.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

7. Member
    Speedo is not hooked up. That's what I'm trying to do.
    When I put air to the hose, it works, but does not settle on the pin.
    1997 Ranger 692VS

8. Member
    Update.

I took the speedo apart and it is spring activated. The spring is unsprung a little and that is what's keeping the needle from zeroing down. I guess it is toast.

All the connections on the tach are tight. If I take it apart (actually breaking it apart in the case of the speedo) is there any way I can bench test it?
    1997 Ranger 692VS

9. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Rod View Post
    Update.

I took the speedo apart and it is spring activated. The spring is unsprung a little and that is what's keeping the needle from zeroing down. I guess it is toast.

All the connections on the tach are tight. If I take it apart (actually breaking it apart in the case of the speedo) is there any way I can bench test it?
    Turn the pole selection switch back and forth several times and then return to the original setting. Tach problems are often actually outboard charging system problems. No simple way to bench test it.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Turn the pole selection switch back and forth several times and then return to the original setting. Tach problems are often actually outboard charging system problems. No simple way to bench test it.
    The motor is 4 years old and has 50 hours on it. I don't know if the tack ever worked with this motor as I just bought the boat/motor.
    Should I just bite the bullet and spend $55 on a new one?
    1997 Ranger 692VS