Thread: Torsion Axles

Question Torsion Axles

Probably a dumb question but I don't know the answer the definitively and I was asked while ordering a new set of bearings to replace a bad one.

I have a 2017 Cougar FTD. I have the trailer that comes stock with that boat.

Do I have torsion axles?

Yes, when you remove your wheel to do your bearing you will see a short arm that is under load at an angle its the torsion portion. Also while your there you want to torque that nut to 150 ft lbs.

Give your brake pads a good look while your there and check all your hubs for play. I had to brake pads on my 2017 puma one rear axle pad was about 1/4 pad left compared to the others/

took this from another post:
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    Your not the only one and the system is not made by BCB. We did go to UFP/Dexter torsion axles earlier than most, though it’s a very common issue. The system has a lot of leverage on the arms and the impacts with curbs and obstacles can move parts just like tweaking the front end on your vehicle. Sometimes it not how hard though how you hit something to put your vehicle out of line. Tweaking the idlers is no different and everyone at some point curbs a trailer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post

Last month a gentleman was in our office and said he’s never hit anything with his trailer, though he’s the third or fourth ownership. Everyone at some point has rolled one off a culvert somewhere making a turn or angle hit a curb in that same process. If this were a spring trailer it would have tweaked a spindle and bent it in those cases.

Some retorque them to 100-120 thinking thats enough, it requires the full 150 pounds of torque to give them durability.

BCB
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

111.jpg

this is what your axle should look like and the bolt/nut circled in red should be torqued to 150 ft lbs...these are known to come loose and strip out/ruin things and lead to premature tire wear. I believe BCB recommends checking these annually or more often if you travel a lot. I check them/torque them as part of my winterization "ritual" or any other time I have a tire off.
    Last edited by basshole51; 12-12-2019 at 07:51 AM.
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

Nice job with the photo! I'm sure it will help and help others. I torqued all mine before a trip to NY and got a bit out of each one.
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

Yes - my 2017 has Torsion Axles.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo