Best Froggin Reel

Wondering your thoughts on the best thick slop froggin reel? Not knocking any other brands but I mainly fish Shimano’s and some Daiwa’s so I am partial to them, but open to thoughts on other brands. Casting distance, gear ratio, drag, cranking power; what’s most important when choosing the right reel for this application to also better help me with finding the right reel?
    2016 Phoenix 921 ProXP
    2016 Mercury 250 Pro XS

2. Member
    No idea. Last year I got a dedicated frog rod that I keep in Florida for visits. I use a Curado 201E7 on it. A recent thread elsewhere on DC reels contained a post by a gentleman using an older Exsence DC on his frog rod. Said it is a tank and bombs the frogs. I imagine a Zillion would be an excellent candidate. I've never handled a Curado 200K, but read good things about it. I've also read great things about the Bantam MGL. Love to have one.

As you can probably guess my frog fishing experience is very limited so I can't help you with any specifics. I chose a reel with a relatively fast ratio (7 ain't considered fast anymore, but was not that long ago) for getting the frog back in quickly for another cast. I bought a Toadface for locally fishing frogs, but considering how versatile the rod is supposed to be I will be using it for more than frogs. Reel? Has a Steez 100HL on it now, but no idea what reel will be the permanent one. I have an older Exsence that I may put on it. Love that reel.

Naturally there are reels that are better at long distance casting than others, but in my mind the rod and lure play a bigger part. Plenty of opinions on what reel is best for distance. Many cite a light spool as important. I suppose that might be true with light lures, but I don't buy it for heavier lures. Some of my longest casts have been with a Zillion 50th Anniversary and a Gen 1 STX. An old Trion that I have on a 6'10" HF does pretty good, and its spool isn't exactly light.

Very happy with the Lew's Super Duty and it's had pretty hard use for 4 or 5 years now.
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

4. Member
    another vote for the Lew's super duty. I've had a couple that I've used for several years now that are still going strong.

Also, I've been really happy with a Diawa Tatula HD I got last year. I have no problems recommending that too.

5. Banned
    Super Duty is a bad a$$ reel.

Was using a Tatula SV but recently swapped to the 7.1 Tatula Elite Long Cast. Gonna order a couple of Tatual Elite Pitch&Flip handles soon for them. They are great.

The original Daiwa TWS Type R in 8 to 1 ratio is the best frog reel I've owned so far

8. Member
    I know there’s been a lot of recent discussions on here about 13 fishing products.... I’ve used a Concept A 8.1:1 for about 4 years and it has held up very well for how poorly I treat it, drag locks up tight, long handle with big knobs that tack up when wet, and you can almost spool it when casting a frog if you want. I bought it as an experiment and have really enjoyed it (I fish Daiwa and Lews on everything else)
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

9. Member
    I use a Lews super duty wide spool and love it for frogging.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

My top two are: Curado DC HG and Tatula SV 7:3:1. Why? Because they work, dial in the breaks/settings and you can throw a frog in any conditions. I like to stick to either a 7 or 8 gear ratio. The Bantam MGL would be a solid choice too.

11. Member
    I use an older tatula 200HD. I imagine the new 200 will work just as good, but I only have 100 and 150s in the new style, so I cant say for sure.

12. Member
    Older Exscence DC is the best I have used. All the attributes you could ever want in a frog reel

13. Member
    Bantam MGL - aluminum single frame body, brass gear, compact.

14. Member
    OG steez 100

15. Member
    Thanks for all the input. After reading all the posts I’m probably gonna choose between the Bantam MGL and Tatula SV. I have both reels already on different setups. I haven’t yet used my Bantam as I got it on Black Friday from LBF but have had good luck with the tatula flipping light jigs. I’ll try both on my frog rod and choose from there.
    2016 Phoenix 921 ProXP
    2016 Mercury 250 Pro XS

16. Member
    The OG zillion is hard to beat for a slop and frog reel.

17. Member
    Daiwa SV103
    Daiwa zillion HLC with a 7.3.1 gear swap..
    lewisboat.com
    Omega Custom Tackle
    Lewis Pro Team
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite

I’m sold on the Lew’s Super Duty G 8.1:1 reel for Froggin duty. I added large Revo EVA knobs to the 95mm handle (hate the paddle knobs). I like the non-slip matte finish on the reel, and it’s comfortable to palm. Cast a country mile with even hollow bodied frogs.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"