Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gen3 menu option?

I picked up a new Gen3 Helix 12 SI unit last week. I was going through the menus and setting up what I could at the kitchen table
    and ran across 2 Sonar Menu options that I’m not sure about.
    1) Imaging+ Presets
    2) SI Background Pinging
    Suggestions?

2. Member
    Have you guys not seen these options or just not using them?
    i couldn’t find anything in the online operations guide and HB support didn’t have a acceptable answer.
    is this just new to the latest Gen3 units?

3. Member

4. Member
    Awesome, that’s makes sense. That appears to happen now on my Gen2 when I switch between SI and 360.
    I thought I’d searched everywhere, Thank you.

Those were added along with some other settings in software update 2.110. If a new unit has it, it was made after that software version was released.

Read the update description for that software version.

1. That setting is a short cut to get good performance out of the box before fully learning how to operate their units and gives them presets to chose between range priority (Max Range) or detail priority (Max Detail).
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Those were added along with some other settings in software update 2.110. If a new unit has it, it was made after that software version was released.

1. That setting is a short cut to get good performance out of the box before fully learning how to operate their units and gives them presets to chose between range priority (Max Range) or detail priority (Max Detail).
    Thank you Wayne.

7. Member

Thanks Wayne. Where is that description you quoted from? I looked at the software update notes for that update ( https://www.humminbird.com/support/s...PS-G3N-v-2-110 ) and didn't see that sentence. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by granite View Post
    Thanks Wayne. Where is that description you quoted from? I looked at the software update notes for that update ( https://www.humminbird.com/support/s...PS-G3N-v-2-110 ) and didn't see that sentence. Thanks.
    That is not an exact statement quoted from anywhere. It is paraphrasing what that setting does.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

9. Member
    That is not an exact statement quoted from anywhere. It is paraphrasing what that setting does.
    OK. I was trying to possibly tap into one of your sources of info that I wasn't aware of. Thanks.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by granite View Post
    OK. I was trying to possibly tap into one of your sources of info that I wasn't aware of. Thanks.
    It seems info is scattered around and there’s no 1 place to find it all.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelican View Post
    Wayne finds it all and delivers it to us free of charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelican View Post
    The software description for 2.110 has the most complete explanation including examples.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

13. Member
    Whoa Nellie, let's back up a bit. This may be important to those of us who run dual units. From this link:
    https://www.humminbird.com/support/f...inging-setting
    It says: When SI Background Pinging is turned “Off,” it will provide enhanced Down Imaging performance
    So does this mean those of us that use 2 units if we turn SI back ground pinging off on 1 unit that it will have a "enhanched" down image. Neat!
    I'll need to try this and see. I have 2 units networked together. One does mapping, 2d, and di. The other unit stays on side image. Has anyone here tried this?

I haven't tried it, but it is similar to the Jigging Mode setting for 2D .... In this case the DI would ping more often with the SI being removed from the ping sequence.
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

15. Member
    Actually the side imaging pinging will stop all together when you don't have a si screen selected. When you switch back to the si screen the transducer will begin to ping the si again and there will be no si history, it will only show what was recorded when the si screen was turn is visible. Not sure what would take priority when 2 units are networked to one transducer. I know the solix units had glitches when a solix gen 1 and gen2 where networked together with this feature

Quote Originally Posted by ntslam View Post
    Actually the side imaging pinging will stop all together when you don't have a si screen selected. When you switch back to the si screen the transducer will begin to ping the si again and there will be no si history, it will only show what was recorded when the si screen was turn is visible. Not sure what would take priority when 2 units are networked to one transducer. I know the solix units had glitches when a solix gen 1 and gen2 where networked together with this feature

The unit that has the transducer connected to it does the sonar processing, the unit networked does not do any processing, just displays it. You cannot select a transducer in the Network menu, you select a unit in the network menu to get the data from.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

17. Member
    So that means you can't run si on one e unit and background pinging turned off another unit and expect to get better di while continuing to get si?

So that means you can't run si on one e unit and background pinging turned off another unit and expect to get better di while continuing to get si?
    Pretty much so. It can't be OFF and ON at the same time.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

19. Member
    That’s what I'm wondering as well. My Helix 10" unit has the transducer connected to it. I have it networked to a Helix 12" di unit without a transducer so all my images come from the transducer hooked to the 10" unit. I use the 12" unit just for side imaging, everything else is viewed on the 10. Was hoping that maybe di would be "enhanced" on the 10" unit and still be able to get side imaging on the 12.

Quote Originally Posted by Royt View Post
    That’s what I'm wondering as well. My Helix 10" unit has the transducer connected to it. I have it networked to a Helix 12" di unit without a transducer so all my images come from the transducer hooked to the 10" unit. I use the 12" unit just for side imaging, everything else is viewed on the 10. Was hoping that maybe di would be "enhanced" on the 10" unit and still be able to get side imaging on the 12.
    HMMMM .... doesn't seem likely in that case since SI pinging would still need to be on to satisfy the unit displaying SI.

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast