Reincarnation of a '95 Stratos 201 PRO XL

As the title says, I am restoring a '95 Stratos 201 PRO XL dual console. It has the same year Johnson 200 Venom with one cylinder at 60% (supposedly haven't verified it). I will be starting a different thread of the whole project at a later date. Before that happens I need to figure out what my best option is: redo gelcoat, Automotive paint, or wrap. This topic has been beat to death on here already, I understand that. I really just need some opinions on what direction to go. I also realize they all have their pros and cons, but every boat is different. So here are a couple of pictures of the bad spots. Any advice is much appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm not a pro but it looks like someone sprayed automotive clear over the gelcoat.

3. Member
    I have no idea. I do know that it is down to the flake in some spots.

4. Member
    Yea, that's single stage clear over gelcoat. Not a very good job at that. Anything that is peeling must be removed or you will regret. I just delivered a Hells Bay that I gelcoated the hull, never been painted but had to 2K Urethane the Tops due to a sad attempt at painting. This boat took a piling punch through 2/3rds of the boat. Broke the transom in 6 places so I moved it to the back. Hopefully no clear was painted on the hull undersides of your boat.
    02 Waterman1.jpg02 Waterman2.jpg

I sanded down my 94 201 pro hull (pictured below) and shot black 2k urethane sealer then 2k urethane single stage gloss black. The top cap I was able to mostly save by sanding and buffing. Sprayed the consoles black to match the hull, and I used spray on truck bed liner on the top of the sponsons on the rear where the top cap gel was just too cracked (like yours in the picture). The 2k urethane has held up great, I have no complaints.
    1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL 2004 Mercury 200 EFI

6. Member
    From what I can tell it looks great! If you have more pics that would be awesome. Thanks for the info. Like I said before any advice helps. Still weighing my options.

7. Member
    Wrapping will not be an option if you want it to look good. Just went through this on a 390V restoration i recently finished. Any, and I mean any surface imperfections will be magnified huge when wrapped. The exposed flake will also be an issue when wrapping. The flake will pull out when repositioning the wrap making it look like there is dirt under it. Ended up painting this cap in the end.

Either way you go it’ll be a lot of work but prolly worth it in the end. rojo knows his stuff no doubt and wrap advice above is dead on. I believe I’d opt for the paint route on this one.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

9. Member
    i had a 78 hydrostream that had ppg auto paint and clear on it, worked well and looked good. we have had several vehicles wrapped where i work and asked the owner about my boat and he said it wasnt good below the water line. i painted a truck 9 years ago with omni, which is a cheap paint and it has done well, my moodcraft will get ppg white this year.