Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Their grease gets very liquid when it gets warm and turns back to grease when cooled. There are O rings in this system that have to be perfect to keep any leakage at bay when in a liquid. I have totally rebuilt these systems a few times and have learned that when you assemble the hub as designed you can go many years without a glitch. I personally really like them.

2. Member
    It was a washer getting me hung. I got hub off by just pulling as suggested. The Dexter place in California is selling me an end unit for $110 (they're paying shipping). This would be the pre-assembled everything including a spindle. So I'm just doing that one bolt. I've been told by a friend that does this type stuff that that's a pretty good deal. In fact, my nearest distributor, Waymire contact told me to take that deal because he can't match that. He's been helpful to me though and I plan to buy parts from him to build a spare with the spindle currently on there.
    While I appreciate the deal, they do claim to be 10 year no maintenance, no inspection. And I have a 2017 rig that say in a garage most of 2018. Unbelievable
    Last edited by BassCatKev; 12-12-2019 at 06:09 PM.

3. Member
    Id be taking the deal too vs. how much work those things are to truly rebuild.

4. Member

5. Member
    Looks like the inner race has spun on the spindle. If you're going to reuse it, you ,might consider a little JB Weld to even out the humps and bumps.

6. Member
    That spindle looks rough. Even the threads are rough. I'd get some emory cloth and try to smooth all out before you replace anything. I'd also replace the wear ring and seal under the wear ring, at back of spindle. I use emory cloth on all my vault repairs. I've replaced many vault systems. I have many videos on youtube showing this all.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassCatKev View Post
    Looking at the spindle in picture #4 does look almost as rough as the first night in prison, but if you are going to keep it as an emergency only, it can be cleaned up to be acceptable.
    You did not include any pictures of the hub and how the condition of the area of the inner and outer cup look, which I believe it should be fine. Chase the threads to get them smooth.
    Valuate the cost of all the parts before doing anything, you may be better served to buy 2 set ups at that price. Just my 2C

We returned to standard grease bearings with Bearing Buddy caps in 2020, away from the Vault system. So far in 2020 we have yet to see a failure, though it’s early. We had similar results under the original UFP system prior to Vault and switched to Vault with reasonable success early, though eventually we had a higher percentage of failures.

In our opinion we would not go to Vault today. Which is why we reverted to Bearing Buddy and similar conversations have been had by almost all trailer manufacturers as an agreed unit, behind the scenes. Today’s Dexter systems are not getting any love from the marine trailer manufacturers, though options are limited with Dexters aggressive acquisitions.

9. Member
    Interesting. I know mine were converted back grease. If you have a failure, you're a lot more likely to be able to continue on with grease than the vault system.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    We returned to standard grease bearings with Bearing Buddy caps in 2020, away from the Vault system. So far in 2020 we have yet to see a failure, though it’s early. We had similar results under the original UFP system prior to Vault and switched to Vault with reasonable success early, though eventually we had a higher percentage of failures.

In our opinion we would not go to Vault today. Which is why we reverted to Bearing Buddy and similar conversations have been had by almost all trailer manufacturers as an agreed unit, behind the scenes. Today’s Dexter systems are not getting any love from the marine trailer manufacturers, though options are limited with Dexters aggressive acquisitions.
    Interesting. From reading many old threads on BBC from all years past, most major bass boat manufacturers have used Vault for a segment of years. I've read where certain people weren't fans of the Vault system for their respective reasons. But nothing overwhelmingly negative on a consistent basis. I'm not switching everything to something different now so I'm committed to Vault. I don't want all types of different systems around my trailer. Dexter can't ship my end unit until December 20th. So I'm rebuilding the hub and spindle I have so I can fish next weekend. Not to be overly negative, I do think consumers should know that this 5 year warranty only stays with original owner. But also to Dexter/UFP's credit, they clearly state this in their owner manual.

11. Member

Over 40 yrs of pulling trailers on grease bearings and Bearing Buddy, except for my Heavy rigs which run oil bath, and my rig sits on an '03 EZ Loader that I have gone thru hubs once in many of miles. Grease bearings and Bearing Buddies on the current 6 trailer that I take care for myself and family. Few shots of grease after each use, and keep an eye on inside seals for any leaks, which means time to replace seals.
    I guess Dexter is using the chinise approach, which is if you can't make it any better, buy them out and than they will be forced to buy your junk.
    Sad time in America.

Rick: Gotta agree. Greased bearings are about as bullet proof a system as there is.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

. I'm not switching everything to something different now so I'm committed to Vault. I don't want all types of different systems around my trailer.

There's nothing special about the vault hub system that I've seen. Should be easy to convert to standard grease and just install bearing buddies. Just be sure to grease the zerk on the spindle, and then the zerk on the bearing buddy. Correct me if I'm wrong.

14. Member
    I've had two boats now with the Vault system and in the first boat of 8 years only had one leak which the company provided the new parts at no cost and my boat dealer replaced at no cost. On my 2nd boat now of 2 years and no leaks yet. Mine have a 10 year warranty so not worried. Great system and I'm happy with them. I also use my boat over 250 days a year towing each time. My brother also has the vault on his 2011 trailer and still going strong.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by woppercatcher View Post
    I've had two boats now with the Vault system and in the first boat of 8 years only had one leak which the company provided the new parts at no cost and my boat dealer replaced at no cost. On my 2nd boat now of 2 years and no leaks yet. Mine have a 10 year warranty so not worried. Great system and I'm happy with them. I also use my boat over 250 days a year towing each time. My brother also has the vault on his 2011 trailer and still going strong.
    Good to hear. Probably just bad luck. I've had a lot of that. I'm the only person to ever drive the trailer since owning it. I haven't so much as even accidentally hit a curb with it. It just leaked somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by BassCatKev View Post
    Good to hear. Probably just bad luck. I've had a lot of that. I'm the only person to ever drive the trailer since owning it. I haven't so much as even accidentally hit a curb with it. It just leaked somehow.

They do fail. Was on the way to a tournament about 3 years ago, looked back at my trailer in the rear view and did a double take. Left rear was smoking. At this point my rig was 2 years old! Just happened to be a NAPA about .10 of a mile ahead. Limped in, bought a hub assembly, installed and still made the blast-off, without brakes of course! The hub that failed was the one with the brake rotor. Tore up my caliper too. UFP made it good and I did the labor myself since I'm a mechanic by trade. Since then, the only other problem I've had was on the right hub/brake assembly which was ruined when one of the brake pads had the friction material shucked off of the metal backing of the pad.

Quote Originally Posted by woppercatcher View Post
    You have a ten year warranty if you sent in the fee and application. If not, then you have a five year warranty. Read the fine print!

18. Member
    good info..

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bhjr. View Post
    You have a ten year warranty if you sent in the fee and application. If not, then you have a five year warranty. Read the fine print!
    I did send in the money but either way I don't expect any issues.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

20. Member
    Lost a Vault cap. Of course all the lubricant is gone. 11 years old. Converting back to Bearing Buddy and grease. Really don't care for a non-serviceable system, however it worked great for 10 years.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast